• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Chrome on Mac OX 10.5.x displays "Adobe Flash Player was blocked because it is out of date"

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2012 Oct 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everytime I open up Chrome on my Mac laptop (version 10.5.8) I get a message on every new tab that say "adobe flash player was blocked because it is out of date". I keep having to click "Run This Time" - which is getting annoying.

I've tried downloading the update about 3 or 4 times and I'm still getting the warning when I open up an internet browser.

Can anyone help?!

Thanks a lot

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 16, 2012 Oct 16, 2012

Apple is no longer maintaining OS X 10.5.x with security updates.

If you have an Intel machine, we would recommend that you upgrade to at least OS X 10.6, which continues to be supported by Apple and most browser manufacturers.

Because security updates for the OS are no longer available, most browser vendors have also followed suit:

http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2599452

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9230497/Mozilla_sets_end_of_Firefox_for_OS_X_Leopard

You can co

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 15, 2012 Oct 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chrome ships with it's own Flash Player version.

Make sure your chrome installation is up to date by doing the following:

Click Chrome > Preferences > Help

Does chrome indicate that it's up to date?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2012 Oct 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it's up to date but says "This computer will no longer receive updates of Google Chrome because it's running Mac OS X 10.5"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a fix here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1445213

"To fix this, type in "chrome:plugins" into the address bar to bring up Chrome prefs.

The list of plugins should say "Flash - Version: 10.3.183.23 Download Critical Security Update".

With this version already installed, click "disable" on the toggle for Flash. It will go grey (inactive).

Try loading youtube..."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just tried this, but a Youtube video now says "The Adobe Flash Player is required for video playback" and there's a link underneath.

But this link takes me to the update download page - which I've already tried.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Chrome are you running? 21.0.1180.90?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, 21.0.1180.90.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that I've tested more youtube videos, I'm seeing the same error. It seems random, in my case, some videos work, some don't. I suppose one other option is to allow out-of-date plugins in Chrome:

http://secbrowsing.blogspot.com/2011/03/allowing-out-of-date-plugins-in-chrome.html

But, other ideas are appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay great, that seems to be working for the mo. Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Apple is no longer maintaining OS X 10.5.x with security updates.

If you have an Intel machine, we would recommend that you upgrade to at least OS X 10.6, which continues to be supported by Apple and most browser manufacturers.

Because security updates for the OS are no longer available, most browser vendors have also followed suit:

http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2599452

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9230497/Mozilla_sets_end_of_Firefox_for_OS_X_Leopard

You can continue to run OS 10.5, but your system will be vulnerable to multiple, publicly-disclosed security issues at the OS, Browser and Flash levels.  We highly recommend that you update to the latest available OS version for your hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines