• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I rate and label files in Bridge CS6?

New Here ,
Aug 29, 2012 Aug 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fulltime student and a new cloud member. Having problems with first project. I can't nor can the instructor figure out why I'm not able to rate and label files in Bridge CS6.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 29, 2012 Aug 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you try? In the Essentials workspace I can just select an image and apply a rating or label from the Label drop-down menu.

-Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2012 Oct 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having issues labeling files with stars. Before I upgraded to CS6 I could click on the area below the file name and click on a star rating, now that option is not available. Is there a way to re-enable this? I know there are shortcut keys and a drop-down menu to label them, but it's a but more of a hassel than just clicking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In eidt/preferences/label do you have it checked to require Ctrl key for labeling?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply,

The box is unchecked and still don't have direct access to star the photos. I hover over the dots where the stars would appear and nothing happens (use to just click on the appropriate dot and the file would be starred). I can label them when I open them in Camera Raw, but not directly in Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can label them when I open them in Camera Raw, but not directly in Bridge.

Do you see the filename also in the thumbs? to me it sounds a bit like you have the 'show thumbnail only' option selected. Check the menu view and see if there is a checkmark in front of that option. Uncheck it or use cmd + T (Mac) or ctrl + T (Win).

Also keep in mind that a very fast way to add or delete a star to the rating is the very useful shortcut Cmd + . (dot) for increasing with one star and Cmd + - (minus) to decrease one star.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are filenames with the thumbs (see image). Show thumbnail only is not checked. I've been using the keyboard shortcuts, it's just a bit annoying that it got changed when I was in a habit of one method.

https://img.skitch.com/20121017-ejisnyhxn2yyxhhpqh7aa4r1y.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's just a bit annoying that it got changed when I was in a habit of one method.

The shortcuts for rating and labeling did not change for the past three or four cycles, you have a few different ways of rating, that's all.

I think I know what is happening, you have the essentials workspace (which I still think should be forbidden and is the worst example to start with out of the box...) and by default the thumbs are dreadfully small.

Use the slider bottom right to increase the size a little bit and you will see the star rating option is appearing again, there is just to less space to show it this way.

Try more options for a custom workspace. You can change the back drop color for content and UI panels using the sliders in the Bridge prefs general section.

Also experiment with changing the size of the panels by putting the cursor at the borders until an arrow appears. You can also drag panels to a new location (maximum three columns). When a blue line appears at the borders this means the panel fits in between. When a surrounding blue line appears you can add the panel as a tab to another panel. When you are satisfied be sure to save this custom workspace so you can always restore it again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok - now I feel like an idiot. I've got the workspace on Filmstrip, I like the small thumbs and larger main window to preview my photos. I made the thumbs bigger so that my star ratings are visible and VIOLA! I can now change the star ratings by clicking. No clue why I didn't think about this. Still would like to be able to change it by clicking on the main window ratings area, but my issue has been resolved.

Thanks a ton!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No clue why I didn't think about this.

Isn't that why we are here?...

But serious, I understand your wish for a big preview but not your wish for clicking, never been a fan of RSI myself

It is a long standing issue rating and labeling are not the same in all circumstances but clicking in the preview window might be a difficult wish to fulfill. There are many ways to use Bridge but if you like big previews consider this:

In the Bridge prefs advance tab select 'generate monitor sized previews' (this should create good full screen previews)

Then either select a bunch of files in the content window you want to judge or just start at the first file.

Hit space bar and full screen preview starts showing (when all files have been cached it should take very less time or real time to show good previews.

With arrow keys cycle through the files and with cmd + . or cmd + , (comma, I now realize I had it wrong in the other post) to increase or decrease ratings. All the keys are adjustable with only one hand and very close to each other. And clicking on a spot does show a 100 % preview of that part.

But as said before, so many users, so many workflows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 10, 2013 Feb 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also had this problem but it was because I was trying to rate pictures directly off the SD card while I had the card lock on. Once I unlocked the card, I was able to rate them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Feb 12, 2013 Feb 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was trying to rate pictures directly off the SD card while I had the card lock on. Once I unlocked the card, I was able to rate them.

Writing data to a CF or SD card in card reader or camera is usually not the best idea and can get you in trouble in some cases due to software differences between system and camera. Always copy the files first to your system itself and after checking if they are correct and you have made a proper back up of those files use the camera software to format the card in camera to start with an empty and fresh card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 12, 2013 Feb 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I usually don't do that but I was in a huge hurry and really, I need to buy PhotoMechanic. But thanks for the reminder. Nothing worse than spending hours shooting and then corrupting the data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines