• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects & Premiere Pro...the order of creation.

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2012 Oct 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am creating a 2-minute film for educational purposes. This film must contain effects using Adobe After Effects and be put together on Adobe Premiere Pro.

I have completed the filming, and now have all the individual clips ready for work.

So which order do I do the editing?

Put the clips together on Premiere, and then import the completed sequence into After Effects and add the effects?

OR

Put the effects on the individual clips using After Effects, and import these into Premiere Pro to create the sequence.

Please help, it's my first time using After Effects. I am learning the software. I am an expert on Premiere, but clearly lack editing + post production + effects on a larger scale.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit first in PPro, then use Dynamic Link (I usually copy and then paste into AE.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I don't understand what the Dynamic Link is.

So import all the clips + everything else into Premiere Pro, put them together to create the film, then copy + paste the whole sequence into After Effects?

Or save it (but how) and import into AE?

Sorry for being trouble.

Kp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google is your friend. Here is some info you should read to learn more about the software you are using.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WS318FB3AB-E1D1-40f7-9FD9-BB04A6F6A465.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aside from the general requirement to at least some sections of the help files, things are not that easy (from a workflow POV). There are several considerations to make here:

• Is the piece FX centric or just some basic footage with perhaps some color correction and some text?
  • What format is the footage in?
  • Is sound involved?
  • Does my computer suck?

Yes, of course, you're gonna need a basic cut to determine the "flow", but whether all that Dynamic Link stuff will work or if conventionally importing the raw clips is better, will depend on the above. Dynamic Link costs performance and requires lots of RAM, so it may not be the best way to work when you have tons of effects to begin with. Conversely, there could be issues with footage not appearing correctly or sound that works in premiere not coming over to AE. So after having read the pertinent help sections, do a little testing first before venturing on.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I am also interrested here. Say the project is a full half hour show, and almost every shot will have composited characters in it, is it then best to do the compositing in AE first, and then cut all the edited clips together? I have a bad feeling I have asked this somewhere before, but being Friday (and still no sign of Junior Devereux's first tooth - other than the lack of sleep that is) I hope the oversight will be forgiven!

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 19, 2012 Oct 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You only want to work with frames that will be used in the final edit,

right? If possible, lock the edit and then work on just the used

frames in AE, either by rendering out the edit out of Premiere Pro (to

a lossless, or close to lossless codec with minimal compression and

maximum bit depth,) or by copying the sequences out of Premiere Pro

and pasting them into AE (my preferred way of working.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Jonas said. A locked cut with a little breathing room here and there would be best. Nobody wants to process footage that is then thrown away (though on big movies this happens all the time of course ). And good luck on the little monster and his teeth.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The biggest challenge in any film project is telling the story you want to tell. Changing just the color of the background or the color grading on a shot can completely change the story it tells. This holds true just as much for a training video as for a dramatic piece. For example, I produced safety training films for large corporations under contract to fulfill OSHA requirements in the US. This was exacting work and the liability the companies had for accuracy and effectiveness was in the millions. We cut those projects very carefully making sure that the story was exactly the story we wanted to tell. Those films were never 'locked' until every graphic, sound effect, color correction, and shot told the story we wanted to tell. I was never smart enough to cut once, add effects once, then deliver the project.

That windy explanation has a point. You have to give yourself room to edit, but you usually have not got the time or the budget to process every shot. Sometimes a story can be told in a single shot. In most cases a story is told by cutting several shots into several sequences are combined into acts that tell the story. Changing a single shot can change everything. Finding the balance is not a locked down formula, it's a learning process. The better you get at it the more likely you are to make a living and support a family making films. What's the best Editing / VFX / Sound Mixing / Color Correcting workflow? It's the one that gets you to the end of your project in the least amount of time with the least amount of work.

That's my story and I'm sticken' to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pierre, in your case with smart time remapping involved in every miniature shot, I'm afraid, you have to start from AE...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kazpar0071 wrote:

Hi

I am creating a 2-minute film for educational purposes. This film must contain effects using Adobe After Effects and be put together on Adobe Premiere Pro.

I have completed the filming, and now have all the individual clips ready for work.

So which order do I do the editing?

Put the clips together on Premiere, and then import the completed sequence into After Effects and add the effects?

Yes. In the Adobe video editing world, PPro is the centeral program. The other programs revolve around PPro. I don't know that it's logical. However, that's the reality of it. Unless you really like swimming against the current, start your editing process with PPro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 20, 2012 Oct 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kazpar0071

I am a little guy who gets schooled quite a lot in these forums. However i do have a set of workflows that i stick to. I am sure my little 150-ish projects does not add up to most of the pros here but.........

Video with some text and CC:

1. cut in PPro

2. CC and add text in AE.

then export from PPro 80% of the time.

3. Sb or SoundTrack Pro for sound

GFX Heavy with some footage:

1. Under 2mins of footage ALL AE

Then Sb for sound

2. Over 3min of footage PPro > AE for CC and GFX > PPro > Soundbooth (Sb)

All GFX:

AE > Sb

4+mins of footage with heavy composite:

PPro for the cut

C4D for 3d modeling (CS6 does basic 3d text now)

Back to PPro to ship the SEQ to AE 

OBJ or tiff seq import of the c4d project into AE

AE for CC and composite

Export from AE lossless

Close AE and DL (which is automtic) back to PPro

Preview lossless export

Fine tune look (magicbullet and others) in PPro

Then its Sb once again.

Its not set in stone. You have to determine the best way based on whats needed. In CS5 i would often use Apple Color for CC or for sound create a .mov for Protools instead of Sb. I have even committed the Adobe sin of using Motion instead of AE. (dont ask me why)

I also write my workflow in a text doc along with any workarounds or problems i encounter and save the document to the clients folder if it strays from the usual. I actually highly reccomend that so you can go back into these notes to remember how you have handled previous projects and problems.

cfg_2451

I have always wondered why PPro was the central but it does make since. I thought CS6 would allow us to go from PPro > AE > Sb and out throught media encoder all dynamicly linked before MediaEncoder (ME). I wanted it to allow that chain and even back to PPro from SB instead of ME to be rendered and tweaked.

And to sound completely crazy i would also like to be able to save in that chan at any point before ME.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2012 Oct 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks guys, appreciate the help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines