• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign CS5 Crashes almost immediatly on 10.8.2

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2012 Oct 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure when it started as I only use ID every 4 months but it now just after starting it. Things that make it crash:

- Choosing open from the start screen

- Choose a template and then doing something like save or Cammand-D

I have tried resetting prefs, repair permissions, the fixing SING process (it came up repeatedly in searches for similar issues).

I am using InDesign 7.0.4.553 (7040) and Mountain Lion 10.8.2.

Any help would be appreciated as I only have two weeks before I need to submit my folio for uni which I alway do in InDesign.

Crash report is here: http://pastebin.com/46isnjjk

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 107 Replies 107
Oct 20, 2012 Oct 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As per the crash log it seems the crash at the Apple code.

Can you create a new user account on your computer and then check.

Also, please check in the safe mode as it will rule any chance of software conflict.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2012 Oct 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello.. Am having a problem. Every time i try to export or package one particular document to pdf in design, it crushes and I get the following report. Any help rendered would be highly appreciated.... I have tried to to reconstruct this document in another file, but the same problem recurs.. Please see the crush report..http://pastebin.com/zwdndwB9

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2012 Oct 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try updating your version of ID to the latest. ( CS5 - 7.0.4 )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately it behaves just the same under a new user. Any other suggestions would be really appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post the crash report on Pastebin.com and put a link here. It might help identify the cause of the crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted it in the original post at the top.... I don't know what is going on with these forums but the intial post at the top was mine.... I don't know who the hell Ben Hutchinson is - I posted from a private computer, on a private IP in a private residence ... stupid Adobe forums assigned it to someone else!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the status when you restart the machine in Safe mode.

Does it give you the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2012 Oct 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I should have posted that I tested that yesterday when I tried a new user. Same result - Crash almost immediately if I try to open an existing file, crash soon after if I try to open a blank/new doc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The forums have been really screwed up for a couple of days and it's nearly impossible to tell who made a lot of the posts. If you get a redundant request for information that's probably why.

Ilooked over the crash report and it looks to me like a problem in Apple code, not Adobe, but I have no idea what it means. How does it behave if you strt up the machine with extensions disabled?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't a safe mode essentially starting with extensions disabled (except those that aren't absolutely essential to operation) and safe mode failed in the exact same way.

I think it is a finder/file access related issue though. The crash occurs when: Opening a file, using command-D to drop in media, saving ... essentially anything that brings up a file dialog. If I drag and drop in media it doesn't crash ... so if I can avoid the file dialog box (impossible of course) it seems it will stay running. So with that in mind does anyone know where to start digging?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried a new user?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to recap all my previous posts above:

• I have reset prefs
  • repaired permissions
  • have latest ID
  • have latest 10.8.2 OS X
  • have tried a new user
  • have tried booting in safe mode
  • All yield exactly the same behavior

All the posts about the actual problem in this thread are mine (if the user is screwed up) except the one starting "hello."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have nothing to offer at this point other than reinstall, and I don't have a lot of confidence that will solve it.

I know you tried a safe boot, but are you running a font manager?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing add on as a font manager. I am an architecture student so I only call on ID at the end of every semester to put my folio together and don't run a lot of grapphic design oriented add ons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.

I wish John Hawkinson was monitoing this. He's our crash expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any way to prod him to get his attention? I've only a week before I have to do my final assemblage of work and I've always used ID since I bought it and I really don't even know how I'm going to work otherwise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll Ping him. No promises, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any way to prod him to get his attention? I've only a week before I have to do my final assemblage of work and I've always used ID since I bought it and I really don't even know how I'm going to work otherwise.

Sorry. I do indeed respond to prodding. I need to re-integrate monitoring the forums back into my life after taking a break from them. I still haven't quite gotten there, and I do feel guilty.

Unfortunately Peter's clearly correct -- this is Apple's crash deep inside the the Open file dialog box. It's not a crash I've seen.

Do we know that 10.8.2 actually works with ID? I don't have any 10.8 machines to test with.

Uninstall/reinstall of ID is not a big deal. You should just bite the bullet and do it. It really only takes a few minutes on a fast machine, less if you go away and come back whle it is running...

I especially don't have confidence that this will fix your problem. So you should try it as soon as possible to determine whether it does, so we can figure out whether you need to do something else. You could also open a support ticket with Adobe... (http://adobe.com/go/supportportal). This is unlikely to yield a quick answer, but if it is widespread, something should get done.

I'm sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, just to be clear then - should I:

1. Just use the "Unistall Adobe InDesign CS5" app, script or whatever it is to uninstall?
  2. Should I deactivate first?
  3. Or should I uninstall all of CS5 Creative Suite? I am really afraid of losing PS or AI because then I really am screwed. At the moment I can at least resort to Scribus or Sketchup Layout if I cant sort ID.
  4. Or other

Normally I am more gung ho and would just do an uninstall, cleanup, reinstall but time is tight and from previous experience Adobe phone numbers in Australia yield little in the way of help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should deactivate first (2), though it's not super-critical unless you are reinstalling the OS.

Just use the Uninstall Adobe InDesign CS5 alias, yes.

Uninstalling all of CS5 should not be necessary. It is something you might consider trying if the ID reinstall does not work. I think there is essentially no liklihood that you would uninstall and not be able to reinstall Photoshop and Illustrator.

Yes, I understand navigating the Adobe Phone situation is difficult. You need to make sure your case gets escalated to the right level, ad that is hard to do effectively. Still, it does help to get the problems in the system...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I unistalled and reinstalled without success. I tried to raise a call with Adobe who instists on payment to log a support call and as I'm a student that's not really an option. I'm already living on noodles so I can afford to print my final work for submission in a week. So it looks like I'll be moving away from InDesign and learning to do something else. What a piece of rubbish!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I am sorry. I do think this is probably Apple's bug, but it falls to Adobe and Apple to resolve it, which is not helpful.

As I previously mentioned, you can try uninstalling all of CS5 and reinstalling it, and that is highly unlikely to make it worse. Whether it will make it better is hard to say.  I would try it were I in your shoes.

Again, sorry, and best of luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I tried a full uninstall. Really pathetically I made a plea to the operator who they raised it to a supervisor who came on, said hello, clearly hung up by accident and never called back (like they said they would if they lost the call). So if I call again I have to wait another hour - I've already eaten up $50 of my mobile quota waiting on hold the first time. Such a rubbish service! It's seriously no wonder why only about 5% of students actually buy rather than pirate Creative Suite since you end up essentially on your own anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 24, 2012 Oct 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do we know that 10.8.2 actually works with ID? I don't have any 10.8 machines to test with.

InDesign is fully functional on 10.8.2. It is tested and there are no specific issues.(http://blogs.adobe.com/vikrant/2012/07/adobe-creative-suite-and-mountain-lion-mac-os-x-10-8/)

In this case when John has confirmed that it is Apple's crash deep inside the the Open file dialog box, hard to say where problem lies exactly and sticking to John words please contact Adobe Support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines