• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Air on Surface Tablet with Windows RT or Windows 8 Pro?

Engaged ,
Oct 17, 2012 Oct 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will Air work on Surface Tablet running Windows RT or Windows 8 Pro?

http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-US/surface-with-windows-8-pro/home

Still haven't seen an answer from Adobe on this and the roadmap page doesn't really say or is confusing to me anyway.

What is the official answer from Adobe?

What are the rumors?

Thanks

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2012 Oct 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's going to support it. The real question is: will AIR support also WIndows Phone 8 or only Windows 8?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2012 Oct 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did you get this information?

The adobe roadmap says that they are commited to bring AIR to both Windows 8 RT and Windows 8. But there's a difference in "being commited" and "doing it".

The next question obviously is, if AIR apps works on RT (they do work on the x86 Windows 8), how do you prepare AIR apps for the windows store? There isn't even a hint of that in the features of the Flash builder 4.7 beta...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2012 Oct 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I heard that from the prerelease program and it makes sense if you consider the partnership between Microsoft and Adobe (to bring Flash on Windows 8 for example).

I think that we can forget Windows 8 (or Windows 8 Pro) and we can concentrate on Windows 8 RT because just a little percentage of the actual Windows 7 users will upgrade their machines. What do you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2012 Oct 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I know is that an air app works on Windows 8 (because I've tested it with the release preview).

What I don't know is whether it will work on Windows 8 RT or on Windows 8 Phone. Implementing AIR on those seems logical because if Microsoft wants to make in in the Phone and Tablet market they need apps I've checked windows store for RT yesterday and there's only one word to describe it: pathetic, there are not even 100 games  and maybe 200 in total. If they put AIR on their systems everybody that has AIR apps for iOS and android will make them available for Windows 8 RT and/or phone as well (I would at least).

So if I where Microsoft I would do anything to get it working, but than again for Windows phone 7 you could have said the same, but they didn't put AIR on it (maybe if they did the phone 7 market share would have at least surpassed the market share of their ancient windows mobile).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2012 Oct 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right but at the age of Windows Phone 7 an agreement with Adobe didn't exist.

I understand your point of view and it makes sense... but Microsoft doesn't follow the right or logical things. Trust me I know lot of people in Microsoft and I know their mind, Microsoft is completely crazy...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 05, 2012 Nov 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ready and raring to go - Adobe... any news on when this is going to happen?  A roadmap update would be good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 13, 2012 Nov 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some sort of date on support for export to windows mobile is a burning question - Adobe any word?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2012 Nov 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too bad adobe employees are not really eager to talk on this forum...

It's a question every dev is hoping get answered...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2012 Nov 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe...  What is the deal???????????  Support it.  Get it done.  We need AIR across the 3 major platforms iOS, Android and Win8. 

I vote for:

1) Win8 x86.  Desktop or tablet.

2) Win8 RT.  Surface, et al.

3) Win8 Phone.  Eh, could really care less.  There is NO WAY Win8 Phone is going to make a dent in Android share or iPhone...

I will say it's great that the stand-alone Flash debugger is now released and supported for Win8.  Nice job Adobe!!  So, now you can debug FB web apps on Win8 dev machines. 

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2012 Nov 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lee Brimelow said "we're working on Air for Metro. It should be available first half of next year."

https://twitter.com/leebrimelow/status/268815503349411841

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2013 Feb 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well my question is.... I went to the Microsoft store today and they have the Surface Pro coming out Saturday 02/09. It has a detailed pen touch stylus as well as a regular surface tablet. From what they say at the store in Boston (and believe me it is frustrating talking to people who have no idea what their talking about) the pro, say with 128 GB wil run circles around adobe everything. Should I get this instead of a WACOM device. I like the portability aspect and the detailed pen for mobility. Just curious what everyone thinks.. Reguards,

Dr_Calderone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2013 Feb 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also like to get Air Apps running on Windows RT but since Adobe didn't release anything yet I doubt that there will be a fully operational version in the next months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe needs to stay profitable to stay in business - if that means a focus on games and video "for now" - then that still means a huge investment in AIR - so excellent.  From a Mobile perspective - we still have 3 of the 4 platforms (yea with issues but still). ASNext – you know that would have brought a nightmare of backwards compatibility and for what exactly? Windows Modern UI (are they kidding with that name?!) - the market share is next to nothing - when it grows and Adobe do release support - all we'll need to do is maybe work on a few ANEs and submit our apps to the store.  We all know that AIR/AS3 is way ahead - let's not freak out when Adobe decides to cash in some of that lead to focus on games and video.   It makes sense - and they will support Modern UI because soon enough, that will make sense too.  Surely dropping Linux was for the same reason - focus and develop strongly - one mountain at a time.  Flex now with Apache - AIR clearly heavily invested in – and our community is far from dead.  What I see are some smart decisions by some very smart people – we need a LONG term vision and this is what I see – this is a very good thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2013 Feb 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still think Adobe is making a mistake by not supporting Windows 8 RT. A competition is growing among cross platform development tools. When a new developer (especially an enterprise developer) is making a decision about using a cross platform development tool they need to be sure that:

a) Any potential major platforms will be supported. And Windows 8 RT is a potentially major platform. A small developer can probably ignore it. An enterprise does not usually have that luxury.

b) Updates in major platforms SDK will be promptly supported by the cross platform development tool.

c) Tight integration with the mobile platforms is possible. Native extensions was a good idea. Unfortunately, Adobe doesn't seem to be interested in supporting it. I understand we are supposed to develop them ourselves. And I had to develop quite a few while building my apps. And I can say it is quite a pain. Why would I use three different development tools to build a single app? Also, they can't seriously expect us to buy commercial native extensions without a source code. Why would I buy them anyway if it has to be the part of the cross platform development tools to start with?

Adobe significantly lags in both a), b) and c). There are different cross platform development tools that don't. Windows 8 RT has to be in the roadmap. b) and c) have to be fixed. Otherwise Adobe AIR is loosing its competetive edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 12, 2013 Feb 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All this windows 8 talk has anyone seen notes for the AIR 3.6 release. Direct quote.

Is AIR 3.6 supported on Windows 8 Modern?
No,  We are actively working on support for AIR on Windows 8 Modern and Windows RT. Adobe expects support for Windows 8 Modern/Windows RT to be available in the first half of 2013.
Found at this link http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashruntimes/air/ under the product details tab at the bottom, sure seems very promissing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2013 Feb 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crossing fingers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2013 Apr 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Mark.fromOP wrote:

All this windows 8 talk has anyone seen notes for the AIR 3.6 release. Direct quote.

Is AIR 3.6 supported on Windows 8 Modern?
No,  We are actively working on support for AIR on Windows 8 Modern and Windows RT. Adobe expects support for Windows 8 Modern/Windows RT to be available in the first half of 2013.
Found at this link http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashruntimes/air/ under the product details tab at the bottom, sure seems very promissing.

Current Message:

Is AIR 3.7 supported on Windows 8 Modern?

Adobe AIR is available and supported for Windows 8 Desktop on x86 based computers. Adobe currently has no plans to support Adobe AIR for Windows 8 Modern UI applications.

@Adobe: - full fail. Why are you snubbing developers that much?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines