Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Desperate Help Needed re CS6 Activation/Installation Problem

Oct 24, 2012 Oct 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few months ago, I purchased the full retail version of CS6 (Design Standard) for Windows.  I installed it on a new clean computer running Windows 7 and activated and registered it.  The installation, activation and registration process went smoothly, and initially everything seemed OK.

A little over a month ago, the nightmare started.  Since then, each time I try to run any of the CS6 components, I get a message telling me it "thinks" I have the trial version installed (even though I actually installed and activated the full version) and asks me if I want to "start the trial" or "license this software."  If I choose "license" it asks for my serial number (which has already been entered numerous times) and it then seems to be OK -- for a while.  However, within a short period of time, the problem is back, and the cycle starts again.

I have tried on numerous occasions (and spent countless dozens of hours) attempting to resolve this through Adobe support, both via telephone and via "chat."  Each time, I wind up telling the same story to several different people, re-explaining it until they apparently understand it, and then getting transferred around to several people until I finally get to somebody who, supposedly, can help.  Then, that individual walks me through the same things that have already been tried several times before.  Finally, I am assured that the problem has been fixed, and am also assured that they will keep the case open.  Each time, the problem has not been fixed, and I find that the case has been closed (so that the only way I can try to communicate is by starting all over, wasting more hours trying to get through, and ultimately again getting to somebody who has no idea what to do other than to tell me to do the same things that have already proven themselves (several times) not to work).

The result of all this is that I have a $1200 piece of software which is totally useless.

Perhaps somebody from Adobe can help me with how to take this to the next level so that it gets to somebody with the knowledge to figure out how to fix the problem.  If anybody other than from Adobe has dealt with a similar problem, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Robert Rothman (a very dissatisfied customer)

Edit: To be clear, this was not purchased via download; I installed from physical disks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 25, 2012 Oct 25, 2012

Rob Rothman is it possible you are only experiencing this difficulty with your 64-bit activations?  I would recommend reviewing 64-bit applications repeatedly ask to activate - http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/64-bit-creative-suite-applications-repeatedly.html.  If you are affected by this issue then I would recommend bookmarking this document as it will be updated once our Engineering team has discovered a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Oct 24, 2012 Oct 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robert,

I apologize for your experience with us on this issue. Can you try performing the steps listed on this document (if not already performed) and let us know the results?

CS6 applications in Creative Cloud unexpectedly revert to trial mode | CS6

Thanks

Nikhil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 25, 2012 Oct 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not subscribe (nor have I ever subscribed) to Creative Cloud.  I have the version of CS6 which was installed directly from disks and is not part of a CC subscription.  Therefore, the referenced document does not apply (and indeed it is impossible to perform the suggested tasks, which include signing on with one's Creative Cloud ID.

Therefore, as of now this probloem remains unresolved.

Robert Rothman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob Rothman is it possible you are only experiencing this difficulty with your 64-bit activations?  I would recommend reviewing 64-bit applications repeatedly ask to activate - http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/64-bit-creative-suite-applications-repeatedly.html.  If you are affected by this issue then I would recommend bookmarking this document as it will be updated once our Engineering team has discovered a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The description of the problem sounds just like what I'm running into -- but I tried opening the 32-bit version of Photoshop and got the same screen telling me that I had the trial version.  So it looks like the problem I have is different than that which has already been reported.

Rob Rothman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2012 Oct 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possibly Rob Rothman you are welcome to contact our support team and they have steps to perform which can help verify if you are experiencing this difficulty or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done so numerous times.  Each time, I waste hours first trying to get through, then re-explaining the problem and then walking through the same attempted fixes that have already been tried over and over.

I had high hopes that the document that you cited me to would provide, if not a solution, at least confirmation that the problem had been reported and was being worked on (and that there was nothing else to be done for the moment).  However, since that document seems to indicate a problem only with the 64-bit version, it appears that my problem is different since it also showed up when I tried to open the 32-bit version.  (Note that it also occurs with InDesign, which does not have separate 64- and 32-bit versions).

In light of all this, what can I do so that I at least use the software?  Will it allow me to enter the serial number (which is the only way I can run the CS6 components) an unlimited number of times, or will there come a time when it no longer lets me open it at all?  If the former, then it's quite inconvenient but would at least be usable; if the latter, then effectively I have no use at all of a very expensive piece of software.  So far, I've been afraid to use it until I get some sort of resolution.

Rob Rothman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to enter your serial number and continue using your software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rob,

I am having almost the exact same problem, except I have purchased the Creative Cloud subsription version and run it on my Mac. I have called Adobe support three different times and each time they said they will fix this and each time there is no fix. Adobe support said they deactivated all versions of my Adobe software, but it is still not working.

Please Adobe, I need a fix on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are still investigating the cause of the repeated requests for activation.  Please bookmark the document for additional updates once they become available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I spoke with Tech support and he went in to the backend database where the CS6 registration information is stored and resolved the issue. The previous tech support people did not do this for me. I don't know if that will solve your problem, but make sure you are talking to a senior level support person or a manager to resolve the issue. The junior-level support team does not have access, or quick access to the database. Be adamant that they clear up the issue immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Johnodzi I am happy that you were able to resolve your difficulties.  This would indicate that the difficulties you were experiencing were not related to the 64-bit versions of the application repeatedly asking to activate. 

If you were advised to disable your Windows Management Instrumentation service please keep in mind that this component is also used by your Operating System and as well as many different applications.  Disabling the Windows Management Instrumentation service only helps disagnose this issue.  For now it is best to leave this service on and enter your serial number when prompted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Johnodzi, how did you manage to get through to the senior-level person?  Each of the last few times I've been in touch with them, I've tried to do just that, without success.  I've told the reps I've spoken to, adamantly and repeatedly, that this has gone far enough and needs to be taken to the next level -- and everybody I've spoken to has calmly ignored my entreaties and has instead wasted my time by trying to deal with it on the junior level by trying the same things that have repeatedly not worked.

Rob Rothman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob

it affects 32bit versions as well of the desktop version of CS6. I have had this problem since June. At first I had to enter the serial number everytime because the trial screen came up before the applications properly started, but I now find after several updates from adobe (or maybe one of the many hoops I went through with support), that the trial screen comes up after the application has finished starting and I can just close the trial screen and carry on. The software is not activated (deactivate is greyed out) but it runs normally.

Turning off WMI fixed it for me but also stopped my virus software and a few other things so is not really a solution, but does point to where the problem lies. I am told that adobe are working on this, but it has already been at least since 18 September when I was asked to check my WMI service by an adobe support person. Notice how there is no publication date on the notice at http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/64-bit-creative-suite-applications-repeatedly.html to indicate how long this has been going on.

I agree with you that adobe support is hard work, especially getting through the first level, who all seem to have the same script they want you to go through every time. The main organisation is little better with customers. I have written two formal letters of complaint to Adobe UK, one towards the end of July and another at the end of August. I have received no acknowledgement never mind a reply to either - so much for the customer!

All you can do is wait until adobe fix it and hope they don't just roll the fix into CS7 and forget about the "small number of users" affected by the current CS6 activation debacle.

Alan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2012 Oct 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob,

Has your problem been solved yet? If not, is there a way you can contact me via e-mail? I feel apprehensive about posting an email address on a public forum.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2012 Nov 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have the exact same problem, except my 64-bit version of CS6 has decided to add a twist - after a couple of successful activations, it will no longer activate because it claims I have activated it on the maximum amount of computers.  Problem here is that I only have the one computer.  Anyone else experiencing this?  Adobe tech support didn't seem to understand this issue (I kept being told to deactivate the software on one computer before installing it on a third, hard to do when there is only one computer), and the fix was sadly temporary.  Happily the 32-bit will run providing I feed it the serial number every time I open it, which is at least something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the activated on too many computers issue as well as a reult of the activation bug. Someone at Adobe has to reset it in their database. It is not difficult for them to do once they accept you are not a software pirate.

Alan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "too many activations" problem is precisely what I was worried about, and is why I've been afraid to keep running it (and entering the serial number each time).  In the above thread, Jeff Wright had assured us that it would not be a problem, but it sounds like it is.  Apb_liv, how do you manage to get through to somebody at Adobe to get it reset?  Do you have to spend a few hours each time first waiting to get through to somebody and then explaining it to ten different people before you can this done?

To Jeff (or any other Adobe personnel):  Since the underlying problem evidently does not currently have a resolution, is there any way to arrange for us to get the activation reset on an expedited basis when needed (i.e., without having to re-explain the problem multiple times) so we can at least use the "reactivate every time" workaround ?

Rob Rothman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most users aren't facing activation difficulties as their computer is only identified as two different computer systems.  The normal identification is done when WMI is working normally and then a second identification is made when WMI is failing.  If you do receive a message that you have exceeded your amount of activations please don't hesitate to contact our support team.  They can also increase the amount of activations if your situation requires it.  You can contact our chat support at http://adobe.ly/yxj0t6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2012 Nov 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob, I went to chat support and the person I spoke to there reset my activation permissions quite quickly, albeit dubiously - I don't think they were convinced that I was honestly having this problem.  I got a bit fed up with repeatedly informing them that I only have my CS6 on one computer, and repeatedly being told I have to deactivate on one computer to be able to install and activate on a third.  I was also informed that this was only a one time concession, and got no advice when I asked what to do if the problem happened again.  Which it did.  I'm only a hobbyist, though, so at least having the 32bit to play around in is fine, even with the annoyance of having to reactivate it daily; but it's disheartening to feel like you're being penalised for an issue that's not of your own making.  If you need to have your activation permissions reset or extended or what have you, I don't think there's any expeditious means by which to acquire the necessary assistance; as Alan said, it's an easy fix, once you convince them you're not a pirate.  That's the hard part!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob, I too have had the exact same experiance you are having including talking to Adobe on the phone and with chat support.  I would like to know why Adobe says this is only happening to a few customers?  I do not believe this is true!  I have also tried many different fixes that the Adobe techs told me to do and nothing solves the problem.

Another problem I have is that I can not get into the only case which is still open (I have many closed ones since I have called so many times) to respond to emails that an Adobe Tech Support person is sending to me.  He tells me to do something and report back by going to the open case but when I go to the open case and click on it, it just seems to refresh the page instead of going into the case so I can respond.  Do you ever have that problem?  I am afraid to call Adobe again as it very frustrating to repeat myself over and over again and they will just open another case instead of going to my already open one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PattiKatai if you are having problems updating your web case please try a different web browser.  It is likely your security settings, installed plug-ins, or add-ons are interfering with your ability to interact with the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 07, 2012 Nov 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not too sure whether anyone has tried these steps in the below mentioned link. The steps are for CS5 but worth trying.

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/configuration-error-cs5.html

Goodluck,

Chesterr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2012 Nov 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob you may find this interesting...Adobe Customer Care sent me an email today in reguards to the problem I (we) have all been having...entering serial number numerious times in order to launch the CS6 program.  This is what they sent me...

"With this response, we believe your issue is resolved and have therefore closed your case 0183753409.  If your support case has not been completed to your satisfaction or you should need to contact us on this issue again, please reference your case number.  You can reopen your case up to 14 days after it has been closed."

Then they continue with...

"Thank you for contacting Adobe technical support.

Thank you for updating the dependency information.  We discussed this case again with our development team and they have informed that we do not have a solution for this issue at this point in time.  You need to enter the serial number and activate the software each time you launch a 64 bit CS6 application.  I would like to tell you that this is a rare incident and we are extremely sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.  We are closing this case now.  We will get back to you once we have a fix for your issue.

I request you to contact us back via Live Chat for further questions."

So basically they are telling me (us) there is no fix  and they do not have a plan for when there will be one, and that this problem is a rare incident.  I'm not buying the rare incident statement what about you?  I would be very interested to know just how many people out there are having this problem? 

I am very disappointed in Adobe. How can they close my case saying the issue is resolved when infact it is not?   I am also wondering why they have not already fixed this problem as it seems to have been around for quite awhile.  Not really sure what else to do as Adobe seems not to be very concerned about customers spending hundreds of dollars for a program they know has this crazy annoying problem. 

I've entered my serial number so many times I almost have the whole number memorized!  What a pain to have to enter it about every other time I want to access my CS6 program!   I'm a Very Very Unhappy Customer!!!  

Good Luck Rob I hope you have better luck than me!  I'm going to keep checking back to this posts discussion so if you do find a fix please post it here so we will all know about it.  Thanks...

Jeff, Thanks, I did finally find a browser that would let me actually access my open (but now closed) case but I had to try three different ones before it worked.  Google Chrome worked,  Internet Explorer and Foxfire did not!  FYI

Chesterr, I will try the steps you suggested but I do not have high hopes in them working to solve our problem.  Thanks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2012 Dec 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a same issue with Photoshop CS6 Extended and after many chats, waiting, no callbacks, calling myself and waiting for hours, closing case without any solutions, restarting a case.....as of now Adobe technical/ customer service has No solution. It is not a Rare incident!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines