• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS4 (and AI, Illustrator) for Windows 8

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2012 Oct 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just realized it's CS4 (I use CS5 at work)...

I can't find where this has been asked directly in another forum, but it seems like an obvious question:

Can I install and run CS4 products in Windows 8 Pro x64? Windows Upgrade Manager said there was an issue (when reviewing my apps) and sent me to the Adobe site where it seemed to want to point me to a $375 upgrade to CS6. I hope this is not the only way to run on W8. Anyone?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a guess on my part but it should run just fine.  Is CS4 is a 32 bit program?  If so will Win8 let you run in 32 bit mode?  Adobe will not give you an answer as version is outdated and no longer supported.

If you are really interested in upgrading you have until Dec. 31 for the upgrade price, then it is full price.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Curt. It is 64 bit and runs like a champ in Win7 x64. I don't use it much on my home laptop - it is more or less just a backup so I can do some stuff at home.

I am hoping it will run in Win8 b/c it isn't worth the upgrade price, let alone the full price.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 27, 2012 Nov 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find out yourself if your Adobe CS4 applications will run in Windows 8 Pro?

I have an existing Windows 7 x64 laptop that I am considering upgrding to Windows 8 Pro, but as it contains my mobile install of CS4 Web Premium and InDesign CS 5.5, I am cautious about making a radical change that would result in all of it being rendered useless.

At least the version of Lightroom (4.2) was listed as compatible...

-mt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2012 Nov 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it works with no problems in "desktop" mode of Windows8. Just install as normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2012 Nov 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I concur, all CS4 apps (32-bit* - see below) run quite well in Windows 8 Pro (64-bit).  I am experiencing better performance than when I had XP Pro 64-bit on the same machine; However, the following may be of interest:

Per Adobe:

1.  CS4 was never certified for 64-bit systems and the latest service pack was a prerequisite for all previous 64-bit Microsoft operating systems.

Sidenote:  The latest service pack for XP 64-bit is actually found under the Server 2003 Service Pack downloads on the Microsoft site.

2.  All CS4 products are actually only 32-bit except Photoshop which exist in both 32 and 64-bit versions in the installer.

Regarding Photoshop (in my experience - see my system details below for comparison):

1.  The installer is supposed to install the 32-bit version on 32-bit systems and install both the 32 and 64-bit versions on 64-bit systems, however, with Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, it only installed the 32-bit version of Photoshop.  (I then wiped my drive, reinstalled the OS and then reinstalled CS4 chosing the 64-bit version of Photoshop in the custom install options)

2.  If you manually select to install the 64-bit version of Photoshop (in lieu of the 32-bit version using the custom install options), the 64-bit version will fail to run, even using any of the compatibility options provided. (I then wiped my drive and went back to a default install of CS4).

Bottom line:

Be aware that if you select to install Photoshop (64), it may not run and since the 32-bit version is not installed when the 64-bit version is selected, you will have to uninstall the 64-bit version and then reinstall the Photoshop component allow the default 32-bit version to be used.

For reference:

Environment:

Machine: Toshiba R25-3513 convertible TabletPC

Processor: Intel Core2 Duo processor (T5200) (Does not support hyperthreading - which may be my issue)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 30, 2012 Nov 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FYI, the statement "CS4 was never certified for 64-bit systems" only applies to Windows XP x64. 

It was completely supported on Windows Vista x64 and Windows 7 x64.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines