• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS6 Mouse Wheel Scrolling for Fonts in Character Panel

New Here ,
Jun 01, 2012 Jun 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in Illustrator CS6 I can no longer use my mouse wheel to scroll the list of fonts [which appear when you click the down arrow next to the font family] in the Character control panel. I could do this in CS5.

Anyone know how to fix this? I think it dos not work in Photoshop CS6 either.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gcsdets,

That is odd, indeed. I just checked - and I am able to click the down arrow key and scroll through the list of fonts. I hope more folks comment, just to be sure if I checked your question out correctly.

May I ask you try something? Select the text that you have typed, hover your mouse on the Font drop down (in the Control Panel), and scroll. You can scroll through the list of fonts, while previewing how the text will look.

Cheers,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ivan for the quick response.

Yes, if I simply hover my mouse over the Font drop down it allows me to scroll through fonts [but only shows the single, selected font]. This is quite helpful, if I have text selected, scrolling through fonts quickly changes my selected text to the scrolled to font, allowing me to preview fonts fast.

While I do love and use the feature, I still often like to pull up the "full drop down list" of fonts like I've previously mentioned and use the mouse wheel to scroll through the list quickly. This enables me to see many fonts at once, instead of just a single one at a time. But again, this is where the mouse scroll wheel does not seem to scroll the list. I was able to scroll though the list in older versions of Illustrator CS.

I've attached screenshots to show the specific "list" i'm referring to, just so you fully understand what i'm talking about (which I think you already do).

adobess1.jpg

adobess2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gcsdets,

Oops! I saw control panel, and did not see the 'Character' in front of it. I have just checked with CS5.1 and CS6, and it looks like the way that drop down works in CS6 has changed indeed. Sorry, can't help you there. But as soon as I hear something about how to scroll through the list of fonts in the Character panel, I will update this thread.

Cheers,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2012 Jul 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ivan David,

Please see that this scrolling behavior is fixed.  It's really unusable at present.  Also when a text object is selected, and you choose the drop down font list in character panel, the list does not position itself in a useful way.  The current font should appear right next to the drop down arrow -- as it is currently it can be up high, or down low or totally off the screen.  See attached -- the current font "Black Adder" isn't even visible on the list that pops up when hitting the drop down arrow.

Illustrator didn't used to act this way and the font list is plain awful to use in its current implementation.

ai cs6 font list useless.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Aug 28, 2012 Aug 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nicknameforme wrote:

Ivan David,

Please see that this scrolling behavior is fixed.  It's really unusable at present.  Also when a text object is selected, and you choose the drop down font list in character panel, the list does not position itself in a useful way.  The current font should appear right next to the drop down arrow -- as it is currently it can be up high, or down low or totally off the screen.  See attached -- the current font "Black Adder" isn't even visible on the list that pops up when hitting the drop down arrow.

Illustrator didn't used to act this way and the font list is plain awful to use in its current implementation...

I'm using CS5 on Windows, and that font menu has always behaved as described above. The font of the selected text object is never aligned to the mouse cursor, most of the time it is off screen because the menu remembers and shows its previous position. So if you select fonts that are on different parts of the list they could be off screen. I never use the mouse scroll will, I use a digital pen with its buttons set to do other things. When I use this font menu and the used font is not in view I look in the control bar at the top of the screen to see the first letter of the name of the font and type it on my keyboard, this will scroll the list and position it with fonts starting with this letter at top or bottom of the menu and then I use the up and down arrows on my keyboard to scroll the menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the point of your message? I don't know if it behaved this way in CS5 -- I don't remember it doing so -- but even if it did.  So what?  The point is that the menu is completely unintuitive, unusable and poorly designed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Aug 30, 2012 Aug 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nicknameforme wrote:

What is the point of your message? I don't know if it behaved this way in CS5 -- I don't remember it doing so -- but even if it did.  So what?  The point is that the menu is completely unintuitive, unusable and poorly designed.

Well, I'm surprised that my point was not obvious to you but you made a wrong statement "Illustrator didn't used to act this way". This makes  a big difference in how this problem is addressed - one thing is fixing a bug or something that has been broken which usually Adobe tries to fix and another thing is  improved user experience or a feature request which usually Adobe don't address.

I agree with your point that the font menu is poorly designed, so, the point of the rest of my message explaining how I use the font menu may be useful for those struggling with the current poor design.

edit: just to add something that some may not know. You can get access to the font menu by right clicking on a text object - you don't need the Character panel open.

In fact, initially I thought this is the font menu in question accessed by right click and the problem that the font of the currently selected text is not aligned with the position fo the mouse cursor which is the same problem with accessing the font menu from the Character panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2016 Aug 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is FREAKING KEWL. I have used Illustrator since 1989 and NEVER found this tip. FINALLY I can see the word I want IN THE TYPEFACE and scroll through all my type until I find one that it looks good in. Incredible. THANK YOU! CC 19.2.1 OSX El Capitan. In my own words: select your line of type with the white arrow tool. Next clickm on the type name in the type dialog box and use the up or down arrows on your keyboard to move to another font name - you will see your selected line of type change its typestyle very similarly to Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is primarily how I browsed fonts in older versions of Illustrator, so it's frustrating that this has changed in CS6. Hopefully they will patch this soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2012 Aug 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest update fixed the scrolling issue. Thanks, hard working Adobe folks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2012 Sep 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not wheel-scrolling in the fonts list for me as of today, with 16.0.1 and all of Adobe App Manager's recent updates.

Neither does it work in the Window dropdown menu, which is just long enough not to fit vertically on my laptop display (15.6", 1366x768). Being forced to click multiple times on the little black triangle just to access the full menu is a bit annoying. At least you can text-search for a font, if you know its name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2012 Sep 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just realized this was fixed in Photoshop, not Illustrator. Would be nice to have this function the same in both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2012 Sep 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this problem still exists in the Mac Illustrator CS6.  When you right click the text and choose "Font" which opens up all of your fonts, the list starts at the top of your screen listing your fonts alpabetically.  You can then scroll down with your mouse to choose a font towards the bottom of the list, say "Futura", select it and now your text has changed.  Here is the problem, when you reselect the text you just changed, it presents the font list, starting at the top again, alphabetically.  So if you wanted a font just below Futura, you have to scroll all the way back down, when you shouldn't have to.  In windows, the font list pops back up and your selected text font is the first one to the right.  This is the way it should work on the Mac.

One sidenote, in windows it doesn't "wheel scroll" through the list like the mac, you have to push the buttons at the bottom, which is slower....maybe that is the trade off for the scroll mouse on the mac??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Sep 26, 2012 Sep 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Limbo Design wrote:

One sidenote, in windows it doesn't "wheel scroll" through the list like the mac, you have to push the buttons at the bottom, which is slower....maybe that is the trade off for the scroll mouse on the mac??

As I said before, you can hold the up or down arrows on your keyboard to scroll the font list which is not slow at all.  In fact I prefer it this way because I don't use a mouse, and because it highlights the font you are about to apply when you press the Enter key. And for faster navigation you can press a letter on your keyboard to jump to that part of the alphabetical font list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2012 Oct 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize this thread is a month old, but has anyone found a fix for this?  I just downloaded CS6 (CC version, had CS3 forever).  Using Win 7 64 bit, fairly new PC.  I posted here, http://forums.adobe.com/message/4805176#4805176  but have not found a resolution as of yet. 

Character Pallet - no scrolling, no keying, no typing a font letter to jump.  nothing works

Top Panel (control panel?) - has a scroll bar, can key font letter, scroll, or use my keyboard arrow keys...all works fine.

Been Googling over and over and only see a couple topic without firm fixes...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 17, 2013 Jan 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it somewhat pathetic that this is still not "fixed" or added.  Do the program teams even talk to one another to make sure experiences are common among Adobe programs or as common as possible without detriment?  Common sense or deduction would say no seeing that Illustrator still does not even have right click copy or past like almost every other Adobe program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2013 Feb 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing your screen resolution should solve the problem.

This solution came to me while I was messing around with my screen setting with my CS6 on.

After few more testing, it turned out that for my paticular monitor, any screen resolution setting larger than 1152x864(not included) would get me mouse scrolling option for font choosing. It looks like this font-example.jpg

anything smaller than 1152x864(included) would not open the mouse scrolling optionfont-example2.jpg

Never mind the tradition Chinese in the pictures.

I am using a monitor that can handle screen resolution up to 1280 x 1024, and I am using a built in graphic chip set with window xp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify things: there are three different lists of fonts in AI: the one in the Control Panel at the top of your screen, the other in the Character Panel and the one in Type menu. The first works well, but the two other are misbehaving, and these are those that display useful font samples. You can have either a working drop-down list _or_ list of font samples; never both. It is simply immature solution; advertised as interface improvement (http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/illustrator/using/ui-interface.html), but apparently not finished yet. Or such are current coding standards in Adobe.

BTW: As Ryan A. said it is a shame for Adobe that the two teams (Photoshop and AI) simply do not talk to each other. I use Photoshop CS6 with **delight** and AI CS6 with increasing frustration. NO interface improvements from Photoshop seem to be known to Illustrator team. Where is this long forgotten Adobe Common Interface idea? e.g.: Why I can set scroll wheel to zoom in Photoshop, but have to Alt-scroll in AI? Is that _so_ difficult to apply similar solution? Hey, guys, go have some beer together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My screen resolution is 1920x1080 and I still have no scroll option in the Character pallet.  SO frustrating.  I end up using WORD to create my text and scroll through the font samples.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2013 Feb 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use CorelDRAW instead ;-).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 19, 2013 Mar 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are abolutely correct, the 3 ways to access fonts never get you to how YOU want it to work. This is rediculous. If it worked in CS3, 4, 5 ... WTF for CS6??? ..... Has anyone found a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2013 Mar 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the solution for CS6 Illustrator:

1. Select what you typed by double-clicking in the type box and then highlighting all of the letters you wish to change.

2. Highlight the Character name in the menu bar box by clicking in the box so the cursor appears, holding the left mouse button down, and highlighting the character name (see menu bar box below, highlighted in blue)

Highlight.JPG

3. Use your up/down arrows or scroll wheel on your mouse to scroll through the various fonts and see what you typed change accordingly.

Enjoy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2013 Mar 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that would probably be more of a work around, not necessarily a solution (?).  That is fine if you want to scroll font by font and yes, it works.  But its nice to scroll through a screen full of fonts at once.  Better yet, a built in option that not only shows you many fonts (in their font) at once, but in the text you have typed/highlighted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2013 May 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works until you hit a font that's not set up correctly. Then the scrolling slides to a grinding halt. It's a barely working workaround for a feature I'm astounded is missing. I have CS6 (Creative Cloud) on my Mac and everything works spiffy. At work I have Windows 7 64 bit and CS6, and it's HORRIFIC. I prefer to use the Character Menu font menu because I can see a bunch of font previews at once. I've got entirely too many fonts on my machine to scroll through that list one by one, especially at its glacial pace. It's infuriating. Hell, I'd take a scroll bar on the right side, and there's not even that! It's completely unusable, and tacks on a CONSIDERABLE amount of time to my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines