Skip navigation
Jamie Kitson
Currently Being Moderated

Theora Codec?

Nov 1, 2012 3:56 PM

Tags: #premiere_elements #premiere_elements_10 #codecs #ogg #elements_10 #ogv #theora

Hi,

I'm looking to be able to import Theora videos into Premiere Elements. Once I'd installed the Xiph OpenCodec pack I could watch the video in Windows Media Player, but still couldn't import it into Premiere Elements. I also tried installing QuickTime and Xiph QuickTime Components but that didn't help, although QuickTime still won't play the video, so maybe that didn't work. Does anyone know how I can get this to work?

Thanks, Jamie

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 1, 2012 4:36 PM   in reply to Jamie Kitson

You are the first person I can remember who has asked about Theora

You may need to contact that vendor to find out if their codec is compatible with PreElements

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2012 5:13 PM   in reply to Jamie Kitson

>don't think there is a vendor. I also notice that the Xiph website

Well, if Xiph has a website, that would be the vendor

>doesn't seem to have been updated since 2009

Hmm... lots of luck in receiving support from them... did you pay for the product, or is it free?

If it is free... is it an open source product with a support forum where you may ask questions?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2012 5:11 AM   in reply to Jamie Kitson

I would not recommend trying to use that video format in Premiere Elements, and you're probably not going to have much luck forcing the program to eat it.

What model of camcorder is that video coming from? Even if it's not from a camcorder, is it at all possible to get it in a more traditional format?

Converting it is another possibility, but that has liabilities of its own.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2012 8:43 AM   in reply to Jamie Kitson

>Yes, it's open source, and that's why I'm asking here

Well, as I said before, you are first person I can remember who has asked about that product

I still think you need to find a discussion area for the product... since nobody else has added any new information here

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2012 9:54 AM   in reply to Jamie Kitson

Like John T., I have never heard of this CODEC, but then there are thousands out there.

The best that I can offer is to try and find a conversion program, that CAN use that CODEC, when installed on the system (note: some conversion programs do come with a bunch of CODEC's, but those can mess up a system, so tread lightly there).

This FAQ Entry gives more info on CODEC's, in general, and might be worth the read: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811?tstart=0

NLE (Non Linear Editor) programs have limitations on which CODEC's (both encode and decode), that they can work with. Some will work with CODEC's, that others cannot. Xvid and DivX are good examples, as CyberLink's PowerDirector, and Magix MovieEdit Pro can (or at least could in earlier iterations) work with them, but no Adobe program does a good job, and usually will not even Import them, even when the CODEC's are properly installed (though they CAN Export/Encode to them in many cases).

Good luck, and you just taught me something about a CODEC, about which I had never encountered before.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2012 11:39 AM   in reply to Jamie Kitson

Ogg Forbis is most often associated (at least in my mind) with Audio.

It has some popular support, but not from Adobe.

I have most often seen it used, when ripping Audio from games, and similar, where the Audio is packaged within other files, like .dll's, cab's, etc.

As Adobe does not directly suppor Ogg, I have not used it all that much, so have almost no input.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2012 4:41 PM   in reply to Jamie Kitson

I have seen many of the game Audio rips in .OGG format, but have not done research on it.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2012 6:21 PM   in reply to Jamie Kitson

Great!

Glad that you found a conversion program, that worked with that CODEC.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points