Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot create CHM output in RoboHelp 10

Oct 30, 2012 Oct 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When attempting to create CHM for a large RoboHelp 10 project, the process fails with the following error:

HHA Version 4.74.8702

htmlproc.cpp(114) : Assertion failure: (pszTmp == m_pCompiler->m_pHtmlMem->psz)

There are 2400 topics in the project. Some 'out of memory' errors have recently been displayed when working on the project. I have followed some basic advice which I have found on the forums to change the path for the output file. I have also created a new Single Source Layout, and tried a variety of settings within the HTML Help Options dialog, with no success. I would really appreciate some advice.  Thanks very much.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2012 Oct 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try HHA Version 4.74.8702 in Google.

Here's one result that may apply.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/124206/html-help-workshop-crashes-on-compiling-a-chm

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 01, 2012 Nov 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice. I followed the sugestions to move the project to a directory closer to the root drive, as well to use smaller folder names, but no luck getting Microsoft HTML help to compile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what's the path name now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may also want to ensure there are no spaces in the CHM file name. Also are you merging CHMs together?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 05, 2012 Nov 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for your replies. The path is C:\CHM for SS. There are also no spaces in the fil name. The problem was resolved by a colleague this morning - it turns out that this problem occurred using the previous RoboHelp version (Version 5), which prompted them to write a script to fix an issue with the index. After running the script, I managed to create the CHM without any problems. I don't know exactly what the script does, I'm afraid.

Best wishes,

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2013 Jan 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, this script you mentioned is from Adobe? You know how to find it?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 01, 2013 Feb 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, sorry for not getting back to you earlier. The script was written in-house so I'm afraid is not freely available. Best wishes, D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2014 Jul 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When generating a .CHM file, I get a "There is not enough memory available for this task. Quick one or more programs to increase the available memory, and then try again" message. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Lisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Errrr......maybe do as the message suggests? Quit some of the open applications and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

These out of memory messages are often red herrings.

I think I'd first determine if it's project specific. Try creating a new project. Compile a CHM. Did it work? If so, that tells you that RoboHelp and your computer is working okay. If not, there is something to address with RoboHelp. Perhaps reinstalling.

Assuming you have proven RoboHelp to be okay, you now focus on the project. Work with a backup copy. Delete half the topics and see if things work. If not, delete half of what's left. Rinse and repeat until you find the culprit. Likely you will find it is a single topic causing the problem.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2014 Jul 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I will play around with it today. I notice I have two new folders: !chm_tmp_folder_0 and !chm_tmp_folder_1. I've never seen these before. Is this a clue as to what the problem is?

Thanks,

Lisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lisa

I believe that during the compilation process a temp folder is created and then removed after the process successfully ends. Because the compilation is failing, it sounds like the temp folders aren't being removed.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a quick fix to this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately not. Detective work has to be done. Have you tried what I suggested earlier? If so, what were the results?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your help, Rick. It turns out I had an unwanted Index keywords. I renamed the .hhk file and things work fine now.

~Lisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp