• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to upgrade CF 8.0.1 to CF 9?

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2012 Nov 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed CF 8.0.1 in my machine and I want to upgrade it to CF 9 because it is the version required by our software. Any ideas is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2012 Nov 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't upgrade to CF 9; upgrade to CF 9.0.2. It is the best CF 9 build, containing all the upgrades and hotfixes and consisting of just one installation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't upgrade to CF 9; upgrade to CF 9.0.2. It is the best CF 9 build

Unless you're using Verity.  The chief difference between 9.0.1 and 9.0.2 is that Verity was (mostly) removed.  If using Verity, go to 9.0.1, and start planning to migrate your search collections from Verity to Solr, because Verity ain't there after 9.0.1.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam Cameron. wrote:

Don't upgrade to CF 9; upgrade to CF 9.0.2. It is the best CF 9 build

Unless you're using Verity. 

Indeed. Thanks for that, Adam.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't attempt an "upgrade", I'd install 9.0.1 in parallel, and duplicate your site on the CF9 server and fully regression & load test it.  Then once it's tested OK, switch over to the CF9 server, leave the CF8 server there in place for a while, then once the CF9 version has proven itself in a live environment, switch off the CF8 version.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam Cameron. wrote:

I wouldn't attempt an "upgrade", I'd install 9.0.1 in parallel, and duplicate your site on the CF9 server and fully regression & load test it.  Then once it's tested OK, switch over to the CF9 server, leave the CF8 server there in place for a while, then once the CF9 version has proven itself in a live environment, switch off the CF8 version.

Solid advice for an existing CF 8 live site. However, the way I read it, Chiemen06 is currently in a development environment.

If so, then I'd say onwards to 9.0.2! There is no need for him to linger about with 9.0.1, unless he is using Verity. Even then, if I remember correctly, there is always the option to migrate collections from Verity to Solr in CF 9.0.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even then, if I remember correctly, there is always the option to migrate collections from Verity to Solr in CF 9.0.2.

Verity is gone from 9.0.2, so I would be surprised if there was.  I see no reference to Verity or migration in 9.0.2's CFAdmin.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam Cameron. wrote:

Even then, if I remember correctly, there is always the option to migrate collections from Verity to Solr in CF 9.0.2.

Verity is gone from 9.0.2, so I would be surprised if there was.  I see no reference to Verity or migration in 9.0.2's CFAdmin.

You see it right. There is no Verity in 9.0.2. I should point out that, when I mention migration of Verity to 9.0.2 or indeed 10, I mean Verity-migrated-to-Solr. I did come across a Verity-to-Solr tool some months ago. I'll go verify and report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You see it right. There is no Verity in 9.0.2. I should point out that, when I mention migration of Verity to 9.0.2 or indeed 10, I mean Verity-migrated-to-Solr. I did come across a Verity-to-Solr tool some months ago. I'll go verify and report back.

They were there in previous versions of CF.  But by the time you're on 9.0.2, it's too late.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BKBK wrote:

There is no Verity in 9.0.2. I should point out that, when I mention migration of Verity to 9.0.2 or indeed 10, I mean Verity-migrated-to-Solr. I did come across a Verity-to-Solr tool some months ago. I'll go verify and report back.

Verity-to-Solr tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for the reply. I did Adam's suggestion. It worked and I was able to migrate my datasources and mappings. The problem I have now is when I updated it to 9.0.1 , I got a blank white screen for my CF Admin. Looking at the application log, this is the error:

"Object Instantiation Exception.Class not found: coldfusion.security.ESAPIUtils The specific sequence of files included or processed is: C:\ColdFusion9\wwwroot\WEB-INF\exception\coldfusion\runtime\Expressio nException.cfm, line: 12 "

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for the reply. I did Adam's suggestion. [...]The problem I have now is when I updated it to 9.0.1

Hang on... exactly what process did you perform?

I specifically said don't *UPDATE*.  I said this:

I wouldn't attempt an "upgrade", I'd install 9.0.1 in parallel, and duplicate your site on the CF9 server

So just to verify... you did not "upgrade" anything, right?  You installed CF9 in addition to your existing CF8, and your use of the word "update" was misleading. Right?

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry for the confusion. I shut off CF8 then I installed CF9. Migrated my CF8 datasources and mappings. When I think that evertyhing is good,  I ran ColdFusion_update_901_WWEJ_win.exe because I need  CF version 9.0.1. After the 9.0.1 update, I encountered the error I mentioned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

chiemen06 wrote:

I'm sorry for the confusion. I shut off CF8 then I installed CF9. Migrated my CF8 datasources and mappings. When I think that evertyhing is good,  I ran ColdFusion_update_901_WWEJ_win.exe because I need  CF version 9.0.1. After the 9.0.1 update, I encountered the error I mentioned.

That is what I guessed. If you can shut off your CF8 site, it suggests your site doesn't have the usual always-on urgency of a production site. I am also assuming that you, like most developers, don't use Verity. You can therefore afford to go straight to 9.0.2, which involves just one installation.

If you decide to go instead to 9.0.1, be aware that the errors you've just received are only the beginning. There is a plethora of hot fixes you have to install before you get settled with 9.0.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also assuming that you, like most developers, don't use Verity. You can therefore afford to go straight to 9.0.2, which involves just one installation.

Yes.

There is a plethora of hot fixes you have to install before you get settled with 9.0.1.

There's this: http://helpx.adobe.com/coldfusion/kb/cumulative-hot-fix-2-coldfusion-1.html

And even that has the caveat "only install it if you're experiencing any of the problems specifically listed as being fixed".  hardly arduous.

That's the only patch for 9.0.1 I can find.

But, yes, if Verity is not a consideration, I'd've gone straight to 9.0.2.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam Cameron. wrote:

BKBK wrote:

There is a plethora of hot fixes you have to install before you get settled with 9.0.1.

There's this: http://helpx.adobe.com/coldfusion/kb/cumulative-hot-fix-2-coldfusion-1 .html

And even that has the caveat "only install it if you're experiencing any of the problems specifically listed as being fixed".  hardly arduous.

There was also the CF9.0.1 Security Hotfix, of course. All in all a total tally of more than 100 folders and 2000 files to be installed, some of them duplicates.

It was quite a headache to install. No wonder CF9.0.2 came along.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's this: http://helpx.adobe.com/coldfusion/kb/cumulative-hot-fix-2-coldfusion-1 .html

There was also the CF9.0.1 Security Hotfix, of course.

That's included in the one I linked to.

All in all a total tally of more than 100 folders and 2000 files to be installed, some of them duplicates.

It was quite a headache to install.

Eh? It's not like one needs to copy the files individually! The install process was to unzip a file, upload a JAR file, then copy some files (CFIDE 7 WEB-INF updates).  Not arduous.

No wonder CF9.0.2 came along.

CF9.0.2 came along due to a legal requirement to remove Verity.  That was the only reason it came along.  There were a coupla other trivial things that were fixed, but the raison d'etre of 9.0.2 was to get rid of Verity.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam Cameron. wrote:

BKBK wrote:

No wonder CF9.0.2 came along.

CF9.0.2 came along due to a legal requirement to remove Verity.  That was the only reason it came along.  There were a coupla other trivial things that were fixed, but the raison d'etre of 9.0.2 was to get rid of Verity.

I think one cannot separate the removal of Verity from the rest of the changes. As the release notes say  "... ColdFusion 9.0 Update 2 is a full installer. ...ColdFusion 9.0.2 update is a summation of ColdFusion 9.0.1, ColdFusion 9.0.1 Cumulative HotFixes 1 & 2, all ColdFusion 9.0.1 Security HotFixes, but without Verity.". I consider bundling all the fixes in one installer non-trivial. We can leave it at a difference of opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam Cameron. wrote:

There was also the CF9.0.1 Security Hotfix, of course.

That's included in the one I linked to.

All in all a total tally of more than 100 folders and 2000 files to be installed, some of them duplicates.

It was quite a headache to install.

Eh? It's not like one needs to copy the files individually! The install process was to unzip a file, upload a JAR file, then copy some files (CFIDE 7 WEB-INF updates).  Not arduous.

The problem I encountered had more to do with duplication. You've already mentioned one. The link you gave leads to the 2 downloads CF901 and CFIDE_901. CF901 is indeed identical to the security hot fix my link points to. However, it takes some searching to sus that out from the documentation.

If you had already installed the fix my link points to, you only had to install CFIDE_901. My software configuration checker told me that that meant overwriting many files in CFIDE, that originated from the CF901 fix, with versions that had different file sizes and date-last-modified.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CF9.0.2 installer is much easier than CF9 + updater + CHF JAR then manual unZIP steps and you get a more recent Java (1.6.0_29 versa 1.6.0_17).

Cheers, Carl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Object Instantiation Exception.Class not found: coldfusion.security.ESAPIUtils The specific sequence of files included or processed is: C:\ColdFusion9\wwwroot\WEB-INF\exception\coldfusion\runtime\Expressio nException.cfm, line: 12 "

Did you google the error?

I did.  There's a bunch of matches, but Charlie's one is probably gonna be the best: http://www.carehart.org/blog/client/index.cfm/2011/10/21/why_chfs_may_break

(I didn't read it, cos I don't have the requisite month to spare to wade through it all ;-).

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did.  But  I did not find the solution there.  I have not yet installed any 9.0.1 hot fixes and I have checked and verified that my CFIDE location is correct when I did the update.

It's only in the staging server because I will be doing the same process to our prod server.

We are also using Verity in some of our apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, well I'd perhaps deinstall CF9 altogher and try again.  This time:

1. Install CF9.
  2. Verify that you can get into CFAdmin (which is part of the install process anyhow).
  3. Check that it can serve a helloWorld.cfm file from your web root.
  4. Do NOT import any settings from your CF8 install yet.
  5. Install CF9.0.1
  6. Repeat 2-3
  7. Deploy your settings archive once 9.0.1 is known to be working OK

How are you migrating the config, btw?  I'm assuming you're using the archive / deploy facility?  Perhaps archive each section of the settings into separate CAR files (eg: settings, DSNs, collections, etc all as separate files)

Doing a reinstall might seem like throwing the baby out with the bath water, but it's sometimes quicker than working out what the problem is (which often yields to a reinstall anyhow).  It's worth trying at least once before scratching your head too much.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you migrating the config, btw?  I'm assuming you're using the archive / deploy facility?  Perhaps archive each section of the settings into separate CAR files (eg: settings, DSNs, collections, etc all as separate files)

using migration wizard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

using migration wizard

Oh right.  Never used it (and only vaguely aware of it existing). So I can't say whether there's any risks there or not, sorry.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation