Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

upgrade of Adobe Reader 10.1.0 to 10.1.3 using SCCM

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2012 Jun 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Team,

We want to roll out Adobe Reader 10.1.0 to 10.1.3 using SCCM, gone through many forums still get confusing. please let me know what is best pracitce to upgrade 10.1.0 to 10.1.3 using simpliest way..

Thanks in Advance.

TOPICS
Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2012 Jun 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depends on a few things. Are you using SCCM 2012 or 2007? Are there any existing installations of previous versions on your clients?

With SCCM 2007 i was using a tasksequence with 3 steps.

- uninstall old versions (script) - WMI Query if any reader version lower than 10 is installed

- install 10.1 (package) - WMI Query if no reader is installed

- update 10.1.3 (package) - WMI Query if version 10 is installed and version not 10.1.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2012 Aug 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brape33

Would it be possible to share those scripts and WMI queries? I would be very interested to see how you do it.

Also do you know if you need to do individual updates, ie 10.1.1 to 10.1.2 to 10.1.3, or can you just go to the final update, ie 10.1.1 to 10.1.3?

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2012 Aug 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You only need the latest patch, which is 10.1.4 by now.

the TS looks like this.

Step 1: uninstall old Reader Versions

WMI Query : (root\cimv2\sms)

if all of the conditions are true

Select * From SMS_installedSoftware Where ProductName Like '%Adobe%Reader%' And Not ProductVersion Like '10.%'

... running the following script

strComputer = "."

intRet = 0

Set sho = Wscript.CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2\sms")

Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("select * from SMS_InstalledSoftware where ProductName Like '%Adobe%Reader%' And Not ProductVersion Like '10.%'",,48)

For Each objItem in colItems

strVersion = objItem.ProductVersion

prodCode = objItem.ProductCode

strCommand = "C:\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe /X" & prodCode & " /norestart /q"

intRet = sho.run(strCommand,0,True)

If intRet = 3010 Then

intRet = 0

End If

Next

wscript.quit(intRet)

Step 2 : Install Adobe Reader 10

WMI Query : (root\cimv2\SMS)

if none of the condidions are true

Select * From SMS_installedSoftware Where ProductName Like '%Adobe%Reader%'

Step 3: Install Adobe Reader Update 10.1.4

WMI Query:  (root\cimv2\SMS)

if all of the conditions are true

Select * From SMS_installedSoftware Where ProductName Like '%Adobe%Reader%' And ProductVersion Like '10.%' And ProductVersion != '10.1.4'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2012 Sep 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier but patching is always seems to be a back burner issue when the front burners are on fire!

I put the TS sequence together, the first part is a little hard to see if its working because i had already rolled out 10.0.1 AIP which i then patched to 10.1.0 as the base install. Now that i want to patch it to 10.1.4 i get this message;

"The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch"

I think i came across one of your post commenting on you not installing AIP anymore, in any case I've been deploying Reader since v7 and every version is still a nightmare for patching.

If you have any suggestions I would much appriciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2012 Sep 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

you can not patch AIP installations on your clients directly with the MSP file. AIPs are pretty useless now because you even cant apply the patch to the AIP that has been patched already with a former update. You could create a competely new AIP and apply 10.1.4. But think about the workload you have to go through for every single patch.

The best thing you can do is to add a step to your task sequence and detect any installation that is not version 10.1.4. and uninstall it.

In the next step install the 10.1.0 MSI with you transforms file. And as a third step install the 10.1.4 update.

Of course this will take a while this time, but saves you a lot of pain for all coming updates. You also need to remove the uninstall step for the next update (10.1.5?).

If you have configured SCCM as update point and do you patching with SCCM intead of WSUS, you can use the System Center Update Publisher to integrate the Adobe products into the update services.

Here is a good guide how to do that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyEGWSFWyy0

Good luck

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always seem to find out too late that software developers changed their deplyment methods - so into the toilet for AIP

I looked at the video and Update Publisher but because we have a very small user base we decided against SCUP because then WSUS updates would need to be deployed through SCCM.

Just for completeness lets say i deploy 10.1.0 and patch to 10.1.4, but lets say adobe release 10.2.0 instead of 10.1.5;

Will i be able to patch the;

10.1.0->10.1.4->10.2.0

or would it be necessary to do the full path, ie.

10.0.0->10.1.0->10.1.4->10.2.0

Or is this possible?

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of this is described in the Admin Guide. In general, AIPs are more work than using SCCM and bootstrapper, but many admins use AIPs without a problem.

The patch methodology for AIPs have a few more restrictions than other ways, but in general quarterlies patch to the last full installer; that is, quarterly MSPs are applied over the last MSI (full installer).

Whenever the second number is incremented, there's a full installer. Thus, 10.1 was a full MSI. 10.2 would be a full MSI. 10.1.5 would be a quarterly MSP.

Start with the doc.

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2012 Oct 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what interpret from the admin guide its possible to just do

10.1.0->10.1.4->10.2.0

now that i was just getting ready to try brape33's script i see that v11.0 has just been released but no customization wizard is out for it yet.

Well i guess i'm waiting some more before updating Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 16, 2012 Oct 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Yes, 10.1.0->10.1.4->10.2.0 would be possible.
  • 10.2 is not out yet. Next release will be 10.1.5.
  • Wizard 11.0 will be released soon.

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2012 Oct 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brogers_1 wrote:

• Yes, 10.1.0->10.1.4->10.2.0 would be possible.

Where 10.2.0 would uninstall 10.1.0 i guess, because it is an MSI Installer and not a patch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 17, 2012 Oct 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Reader, yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 07, 2012 Nov 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe Customization Wizard XI is live now. It can be download from: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5515

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines