• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to resize all artboards at once the way you used to be able to do in document set-up?

Enthusiast ,
Nov 04, 2012 Nov 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a document with 20 Artboards. When I resize one it only changes that one. I'm in CS5. Is it possible to resize all artboards at once the way you used to be able to do in document set-up? Many thanks!

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Nov 05, 2012 Nov 05, 2012

Wade_Zimmerman wrote:

That's a vrry good script but t does not allow you to resize certain artboards and not tohers

@ Wade

You could recode it and setup a confirm in the loop to determine if you want to resize the current artboard in the iteration of the loop, if no then skip it, if yes then prompt for sizes and proceed. Then you could resize which ever ones you desire as such, some and not others. You could even distinguish with each confirm and prompt what artboard is being targeted by displaying

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Community Expert , Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Hi @yugeafria copy the script, open a text editor like Notepad on Windows, paste the script, save as PLAIN text (not Rich Text) with a jsx extension (yourScript.jsx)

then in Illustrator go to File->Scripts->Other Scripts...and navigate to your script

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2016 Mar 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, you can do, if you know the percentage   i have designed android app in mdpi screen (360 X640) but later i had to convert that in to xxhdpi size... i was struggling to resize nearly 30 artboards... done this changing image size in percentage ( 300%)..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you could resize the docuemtn with documant set up there were no artboards and there was only one size to the document and there was only one page in that document so you have never been able to do what you suggest but there is no reason that it could be a feature request as an enhancement for the artboard feature. Keep in mind though that a document can contain various sized artboards and that might mske the feature you suggest no easy task to develope and in order to make your feature request work you would have to think it out and suggest how this problem would be overcome with such a request.

One of the major problems with this is that you can only select one artboard at a time, on the canvas that is. So if the suggestion is the resize all slect artboards this problem to would have to be overcome.

The only way I think it might work is if there were master artboards and you chaned the size of the master artboard and then all the artboards belong to that master artboard type would then change which would not affect artboards belonging to another artboard type.

But since the feature does not exist you have to go with Scott's answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it could be done, a way to ask for it in a feature request could be to allow multi-selection in the artboards palette, then the rest would be exactly the same way it currently works, changing the size in the control panel would resize all artboards selected in the palette.

here's a script that resizes ALL artboards (from the certer), with some more work, a dialog could be added, adding the functionality described above.

#target Illustrator

//  script.name = resizeArtboards_CS4andUp.jsx;

//  script.description = resizes all artboards;

//  script.requirement = one document with at least one artboard;

//  script.parent = carlos canto // 11/4/12;

//  script.elegant = false;

if (app.documents.length > 0) {

//alert("more than 0");

var idoc = app.activeDocument;

var title = "Resize All Artboards";

var width = Number(Window.prompt ("Enter New Artboard Width in points", 612, title));

var height = Number(Window.prompt ("Enter New Artboard Height in points", 792, title));

for (i=0; i<idoc.artboards.length; i++) {

var abBounds = idoc.artboards[i].artboardRect;// left, top, right, bottom

var ableft = abBounds[0]; // 0

var abtop = abBounds[1]; // 612

var abwidth = abBounds[2] - ableft; // 792 // width

var abheight = abtop- abBounds[3]; // 0 // height

var abctrx = abwidth/2+ableft;

var abctry = abtop-abheight/2;

var ableft = abctrx-width/2;

var abtop = abctry+height/2;

var abright = abctrx+width/2;

var abbottom = abctry-height/2;

idoc.artboards[i].artboardRect = [ableft, abtop, abright, abbottom];

}

}

else  {

alert ("there are no open documents");

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 05, 2012 Nov 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Genius Carlos!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[scott w] wrote:

Genius Carlos!

+1

I'm sure I'll need this script too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

// script.appreciated = true;

Nice work, great script as always CarlosCanto, thanks for sharing your efforts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks emil

-------------------------

// script.appreciated = true;

wjt, this was great, thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a vrry good script but t does not allow you to resize certain artboards and not tohers and i you have to select certain artboards and not others you will eentually have to manually slect artboards, master artboartds would be ab better.

However if someone had to do certain ones under current conditions one could draw a rectangle on one artboard then command copy the rectangle and either go from one artboard to the next that they needed changed and paste in place then selct all of thi=ose rectagles and go to Object>Artboards>Convert to Artboards

Or draw one rectangle on one artboard and then copy and paste on all artboards and the deselect the ones you don't need with the command control click anthen convert the remaining selected to artboards then you use the artboard panel to delete the olderr version of the artboards.  The use the pnel to rearrange the artboards which will renumber the boards and respace them as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wade_Zimmerman wrote:

That's a vrry good script but t does not allow you to resize certain artboards and not tohers

@ Wade

You could recode it and setup a confirm in the loop to determine if you want to resize the current artboard in the iteration of the loop, if no then skip it, if yes then prompt for sizes and proceed. Then you could resize which ever ones you desire as such, some and not others. You could even distinguish with each confirm and prompt what artboard is being targeted by displaying its name. I tested this approach and it seems to work ok, but not super elegant of course, because if you have tons of artboards this would be a lot of prompts/input. You could lesson the prompts by combining the width/height into a single prompt. But then again even at that point its just as efficient to resize each manually via the ArtBoards Window, probably the same amount of work/user input when dealing with and targeting individual artboards. You could perhaps alternatively create a window script for multiple input for the desired artboards, perhaps based upon those which are selected and build your window dialog accordingly, I suppose at that point it would offer a more efficient approach for that type of thing which you seem to be describing.

But having said all that we would then be way beyond the original request which CarlosCanto already so generously fulfilled. Perhaps he will have some further input on your comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2012 Nov 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, first, I'd just like to say that this is my first post in an Adobe forum, so please go easy if I'm not following protocol

I came across this post as I, too, was looking for the same thing as karenf1. I had set up one Illustrator document with multiple artboards (30+) but maybe one slight difference to what has been discussed here is that all of my artboards have the same size. (It sounded like resizing multiple, differently-sized artboards was proving to be a difficulty) So, I was looking for a uniform way to enlarge both the artboards and the artwork on them. I tried CarlosCanto's script, which indeed enlarged the artboards, but it also brought up another point, and that was maintaining the space or the margin between each of the artboards, as they overlapped when I ran the script. Not sure if this is just another line of code that can be added to account for the margin in the resize, but I for one would find this very useful!

Anyway, just wanted to add my two cents.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rofisch,

After running Carlos' script, simply choose Object > Artboards > Rearrange... 

That will allow you to reset gutters and placement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adding spacing might be implemented, not with a one line of code though....in the mean time you can go to the Artboards Palette, click on the Fly Out Menu and click on Rearrange Artboards....there you can enter your spacing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, thanks, still a bit new to artboards. The Rearrange feature did fix the spacing issue that I was looking for; however, the art did not move correctly with the artboards. I'm wondering if it's because the artboards overlap from the script, and then once everything is rearranged, it's not associating the correct elements with the correct artboards? Versus if it were to be incorporated into the code and everything (the resize and the move) all occured at once it would then work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're correct, the resized artboards are biting into the neighboring artboards art

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmm...forget what I said, spacing could be implemented on simple arrangements, 1 row, or 1 column for example, but it will hard to predict for a crazy multi-size, randomly arranged artboards...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that no one here seess the elegance of a new feature to have master artboatrds which would be the real solution to this problem.

And since no one has shown that they think this would be a good diea I can tell you for sure with out backing from other users the chances of this feature coming to light is next to zero.

Well done guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wade_Zimmerman wrote:

I see that no one here seess the elegance of a new feature to have master artboatrds which would be the real solution to this problem. And since no one has shown that they think this would be a good diea I can tell you for sure with out backing from other users the chances of this feature coming to light is next to zero. Well done guys!

Ah.... right, because hundreds of Adobe Developers are in fact standing by to immediately fulfill feature requests and get them implemented. However, they will get to this one as soon as they thumb through the hundreds of thousands of requests that are on back order. Your statement could be applied to so many feature ideas/requests for Adobe, both unique and already existing in other competitive software. But its funny that you choose to blame the users and not the company whom makes the software for falling short.

Was that in fact sarcasim or a joke?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

psst... symbols act pretty much exactly like master page items. You just have to use symbols. Some people think just becuase they suddenly have some sort of epiphany that no one else has ever thought of it or suggested it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to chime in -- Master Art Boards would be a lovely thing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about a Layer panel for each artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to make a master arboard....

1) Create the master items on an artboard.

2) Draw a rectangle the size of the artboard, no fill, no stroke.

3) Select all and drag to teh Symbol Panel

4) Choose Edit > Cut

5) Choose Edit > Paste on All Artboards

There you go. When you need to edit the master items, double-click the symbol in the Symbol Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A separate layer panel per artboard would be nice. It really is terrible to think you are unlocking just the items on the artboard you are working on -- only to find that the unlock - is document wide wide! Ohhhh! That can make yell ARGHHHH!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines