Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH10 crashes each time I try to generate HTML files for a linked FM11 book

Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2012 Nov 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to create a WebHelp project in RH10 to publish books created in FM11 (I'm new to RH). I have linked a book, then tried to generate HTML pages, but RH crashes every time. I thought, the problem might be in files shared by several books and therefore stored in a different folder than the book itself. So I took these files out of the book in FM, but this did not help.

Importing the book works. But then I do not know how to update the changes - as I tried to import the book into the same project, the programme crashed again.

Woud be very obliged for any help.

Anna

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First try to figure out if you've got a RH-specific problem or a FM to RH issue (which is what the FM Integration forum is for). Take one of the sample projects in RH and try making WebHelp - if that crashes, then we know that you've got something wrong with your RH install. If it works fine, next try creating a dummy book in FM with some dummy files based on the factory FM templates. Try the linking method - all ok? If that comes through fine, then try making WebHelp. If that crashes, then we know it's something to do with your FM source files and how they are converted.

PS - importing means starting fresh each time you update content in FM - you throw away your RH project & do it over again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS - importing means starting fresh each time you update content in FM - you throw away your RH project & do it over again.

Not quite Jeff, just trashing the topics created by the previous import, not the whole project.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter - but it's so much faster to just go into Explorer and delete or rename the old project folder & do a new one ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2012 Nov 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Egh? If your project is based on one linked Fm document maybe but if you have a ton of other content I can't see how starting again is faster.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2012 Nov 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Peter, I should have qualified my answer – yes, it’s faster if all your content is in your FM books and you’re only using RH to create the help output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jeff, thank you Peter,

It's Monday morning again - I will try it out and let you know.

Cheers,

Anna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I tried it all over again and these are the results:

• Generation of a sample project in Rh -> works
  • Import and generation of a simple book from FM -> works
  • Linking, generation and update of the same simple FM book -> works

The problems start, as I link a complex FM book that contains a large number of files, some of which are stored in a different folder. The FM console says, that some separation points could not be found (original message in German). What might this mean?

Thanks,

Anna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update Anna.

Can you please update if you are able to open the book in FrameMaker properly and save it as pdf or other file formats from within FrameMaker without any error.

Please make sure that all the references and links are updated in FramMaker book and documents before you Link/Import them in RoboHelp.

if you have any specific very large document in the book try linking it directly and see if it works, if the largest document works individually then the book should work as well, check the memeory in the task manager for both RoboHelp and FrameMaker and observe that it is not very high on updating the links.

Ashish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Ashish,

• The book works perfectly in FM, pdf generation ok
  • The book update delivers no errors -  links, cross references, etc. ok
  • Each time, Rh crashes on the first shared file with just 457 KB. I tried to link this file separately - it works. I do not know yet, how Rh would react to the other shared files in the book, as we haven't got that far yet.

Anna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Anna,

Can you please elaborate what do you mean by shared files in the FrameMaker book?

Try reducing the number of documents per book and link them indivudally and check if it works?

Ashish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By "shared" files, I mean files stored in a folder different than the rest of the book and used in variuos books.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it a hierarichle book ?

open the book in frameMaker and try saving it as Book with Fm componenets and import/Link that book instead, if it doesnt works then please share witha me a small sample zipped over ashishchandra.gupta@gmail.com

Ashish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a typical book with generated files (IVZ, MIX, SIX). I have removed most of the files from the book leaving just a few. It does not work!

What do you mean, I should save it as a book with FM components? I will send you a small part of it. Thank you very much once again.

Anna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Anna,

I work for RoboHelp team. Thanks for sharing the file.

I am unable to open the files as it is missing. Please share following files:-

1) Y:\_Workspace\UG_Flighdeck_KR\UG_FD_KRONOS(null)2.fm

2) Y:\_Workspace\UG_Flighdeck_KR\topics\krfd_about_KRONOS.fm

3) Y:\_Workspace\UG_Flighdeck_KR\topics\krfd_payment.fm

4) Y:\_Workspace\UG_shared\fd_reference_shared.fm

I think all the above files are present on mapped drive. Please confirm.

You can share the files with mdsameer87@gmail.com

-Sameer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please update if linking a FrameMaker book and updating is crashing also for sample books installed by FrameMaker or trya smaller book and see if it works.

Linking by far is better option that importing and you need not reconfigure everything from scratch

hope this will help

Ashish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp