Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Framemaker Error

Contributor ,
Nov 07, 2012 Nov 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Can anyone help me with this?  It's started happening every 10 minutes at the moment.

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/2755/20121107150704.png

Can I send the .txt file somewhere?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, e-mail it to fmerror@adobe.com<mailto:fmerror@adobe.com> like it says ;>)

But more importantly, what's going on that's causing the hard error to occur?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers Jeff,

I'm not sure what's going on!  I'm messing around with books and currently have about three or four open.  I may have added the same files to more than one book, so this could be it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's allowed - it's when you try to add the book to itself that issues arise - see the Robocolumn blog for an example of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe this is the post Jeff was referring to

http://www.cmcandrew.com/robocolumn/archives/3325

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd recommend

• restarting your PC
  • open your book, and all chapter files
  • address any missing resource messages (re-enable them in Preferences > Alerts if needed)
  • update your book
  • save all files in book (Shift-File > Save all files in book)

HTH...gotta go teach a CPT class, so best of luck

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mattrsullivan wrote:

I'd recommend

• restarting your PC
  • open your book, and all chapter files
  • address any missing resource messages (re-enable them in Preferences > Alerts if needed)
  • update your book
  • save all files in book (Shift-File > Save all files in book)

HTH...gotta go teach a CPT class, so best of luck

-Matt

First thing I did, Matt.   Well, second if you count breaking the page down key.  I'm invoicing that one straight to Adobe.

Nice blog that, RoboColum(n).  I've sort of been watching you on the linkedin forums as well.  Small world this Technical Author lark, eh?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 09, 2012 Nov 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I restarted, re-saved and cleared any errors.

I shut down for the weekend, but the problem is still there.

It is a little more consistent

Open book

Open all files

I work between all files but when I occasionally double-click on a file in the book that is already open, it crashes.

Any ideas would be really welcome.

EDIT: It now crashes just selecting the file from its tab.  I'm starting to get annoyed now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, if you can consistently make it break on a sample set of books and nonsense files, use the bug reporting form and send it to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Any ideas would be really welcome.

MIF wash.

But you've probably already tried that.

I'm wondering if there is any chance of circular references.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you could work on one doc at a time, without accessing the book file.

If your crashes are limited to certain documents, then you might narrow down things like file corruption or graphic corruption from there.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2012 Nov 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the exact same error when trying to print in Frame 11. Just installed it (new, not an upgrade) on a brand new Windows 7 machine. Have Frame 7 on another machine. Copied some existing Frame 7 Books over to the new machine. Open fine. Print Book or Print Selected files (regardless of the default printer), get the error (print dialog never comes up) and Frame crashes when the error is dismissed.

If I create a new document in Frame 11, seems I can print it to a physical printer or to a .ps file, as needed.

Based on the various circumstances I've seen people report online getting the same errors though, I don't think this is specific to printing. It is in my case, but not in others including yours.

There really should be a white paper describing the known circumstances surrounding this problem. Maybe there is...haven't found it yet then.

Yes, I will follow the instructions to file the bug report, but when trying to move to a new machine and not compromise production anymore than necessary in making such a transition, it's really a drag to deal with this kind of thing. I can say that every time I have upgraded FrameMaker over the years there has been some problem like this to deal with. I thought with a brand new installation, not an upgrade (since we an upgrade wasn't available from v7 to v11) I would avoid such issues. Apparently not.

If I hear back from Adobe with anything useful in my situation, will post the info.

UPDATE: noted that I can open the individual documents that reside in a book without opening the book itself and those seem to print. Trying to print the book or a document in the book when the book is open fails with the error. Have not tried creating a new book in 11 yet - will in awhile. Wondering if it has to do with the book being linked to a non-existent joboptions file - I will amend that too however, when I am prompted about I'm given the option to proceed with the print job using a default joboption and it works fine. Just info for anyone else who may be on the same troubleshooting path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

April, did you update FrameMaker 11 with the latest patch? I seem to

recall that Adobe recently issued a patch that fixed some book-printing

problems in FM11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mike - no, I have not done that and I shall do so right now. I appreciate the tip. Whether it fixes this or not, should be done. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike - installing the patch seems to have resolved the problem. I need to do further testing, opening a variety of books, and printing in a variety of ways just to be sure but I am now able to print two books and the individual documents that I couldn't print before. Thank you for pointing me to something I should have thought of. I'm grateful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 19, 2012 Nov 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm starting to get annoyed with this now.

FM is crashing when I do almost anything.  I'm getting the error 'Crash in VScrollTrack: 108' now.

This can happen when doing almost any operation.

I need someone from Adobe to help me here.  I've already uninstalled and re-installed TCS4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's installed and running for anti-virus and firewall?

Try turning it/them off.

Is FM crashing on new small documents, or just existing and/or larger documents and books?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Eset, but it's not that, I'm sure of it.

It is crashing when I have multiple files open from one book.  This is the only pattern I can see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2012 Nov 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FM 11 is defintely quirky with books. I have found all my problems in unstructured documents arise only when working with books or books within books.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 21, 2012 Nov 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found it.

It was an application called WizMouse that I use to help me with scrolling.

Uninstalled it and replaced with KatMouse and everything seems to be OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 06, 2012 Dec 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bowen192,

You have my understanding and sympathy.

We too are having this sort of error (our number is 10014, 5075990, 9107523, 9252058; but I'm guessing that it's not the number that is important).

I had this when using an EDD I've been developing for XML import; this has been working fine for the last 6 months, now I'm getting this type of error.

To see if the problem was related to structure (my EDD is valid) or some magic going on behind the scenes, I stripped out all elements from my EDD, created a simple one with a "section" element as the highest level element,  which then has a "para" element, and a "Procedure" element, which had "Steps" which, in turn had a "para" as a text holder.  So:

section

para

Procedure

Step

para

para

para

etc

Step

para

para

etc

The creation part worked fine, but just moving the curor up and down the tree, not even moving an element bubble or trying to do something illegal, but clicking in the tree, and this gave me this angy looking error messae.

I've tested this functioning out on two different workstations, with separate installations of FrameMaker 10, and also using, on both machines, two separate user accounts, but to no avail.

Eh, early Christmas present, perhaps.

I see you posted back in November, so was wondering if you got a fix?

Regards

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2013 Jan 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the VScrollTrack crash for years, across FM8, 9, and now 10, across multiple computers, and on WinXP and Win7. I cannot edit more than one doc or FM crashes EVERY TIME. Has nothing to do with books, at least for me. I reported this bug with FM9 but Adobe said it's not their problem. I've tried every forum suggestion offered, and have now given up ever getting a solution. So I'm stuck with editing one doc at a time. If I knew FM11 fixed it I would upgrade, but Adobe won't get any more $$ from me without a guarantee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 02, 2013 Jan 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YZZYX wrote:

I've had the VScrollTrack crash for years, across FM8, 9, and now 10, across multiple computers, and on WinXP and Win7. I cannot edit more than one doc or FM crashes EVERY TIME. Has nothing to do with books, at least for me. I reported this bug with FM9 but Adobe said it's not their problem. I've tried every forum suggestion offered, and have now given up ever getting a solution. So I'm stuck with editing one doc at a time. If I knew FM11 fixed it I would upgrade, but Adobe won't get any more $$ from me without a guarantee.

I removed a program to fix this.

Do you have a separate program installed to enable mouse scrolling in Framemaker or other applications?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2013 Jan 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bowen192 wrote:

I removed a program to fix this.

Do you have a separate program installed to enable mouse scrolling in Framemaker or other applications?

No, I use a Dell laptop with a touchpad, with everything still set up as it came from Dell. Interestingly, I believe the VScrollTrack crash started when I switched over to laptops, I don't recall it ever happened on a desktop. However, I cannot disable my touchpad, nor should I have to. FM is the only program I use which has this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 04, 2013 Jan 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Interesting  because you say this was affecting only a laptop; we're using workstation PCs at work.

It's a real shame that Adobe seem to think this is something we have to live with; somewhat tongue in cheek, perhaps they can blame Dell.

I've tried to reproduce this problem with FrameMaker 10 and 11 at home on a Mac, running Windows XP (SP2) under VMWare fusion, and the problem hasn't reared its ugly head.   Yet!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines