• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selected PDF Job Option doesn't exist...

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2012 Nov 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to print to a .ps file I get the message:

"The selected PDF Job Option does not exist n the current installation. Either create this Job Option or select an available Job Option. Continue?"

Background:

Was using FrameMaker 7.2 previously. Recently bought Frame 11 (not an upgrade, full program) and installed it on a new machine that is running under Windows 7. I also bought and installed (didn't upgrade) Acrobat 11 after using Acrobat 7 for years on another machine. There are no previous versions of either app on my Windows 7 machines.

I copied two JobOption files from the old machine (Acrobat 7/Frame 7) to the new machine. They are stored in the same location where I found the preset JobOption files:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 11.0\Acrobat\Settings

In FrameMaker I went to File --> Print Setup and selected Adobe PDF as my default "printer". I set the Default Settings for that printer to the JobOptions file I want to use, which is one of the two I brought over from the other machine (in other words, my JobOptions appear in the list of settings from which to choose).

When I go to print the Book in Frame (Ctrl-P to open the Print Book dialog) I click PDF Setup and the correct PDF Job Options file is shown based on my Print Setup configuration. When I click Set though, I get the above message. I don't understand this message since I both see and can select my JobOptions files in FrameMaker and in Acrobat/Distiller.

I tried reading through the Adobe PDF Creation Settings document to confirm where the JobOptions files need to be stored, but the information I found doesn't seem to cover Windows 7 (named locations don't exist on my system, e.g., Documents and Settings folder).

Can someone clarify for me whether I can use my custom JobOption files from Frame 7 in Frame 11, and if so, where I need to place them? Also, any clarification of this situation in general and why I'd be getting this message when clearly Frame and Acrobat both "see" my JobOptions since they arein the drop-down list, is appreciated.

BTW - I also edited one of my JobOptions in Frame 11 and Saved As a new file but still get the same alert when I proceed.

Thanks

EDIT: realizing that maybe I should have posted this in the Acrobat forum but since I am working from Frame and accessing settings via Frame, and getting a Frame errror, I started in this forum.

TOPICS
PDF output

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As with maker.ini, there may be multiple copies of the job options file (system and per-user), and a pecking order for priority.

There's a further concern that newer Distillers may support some options which would not be in a legacy file, and even a chance that some legacy opts have changed or been deleted. Any of these could cause unobvious error messages.

The simplest solution might be just to use the new Acrobat product to re-create the old Job definition(s). That's bound to store the file where it can be found.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, maybe there is another way to do that, but as far as I know, that is what I have done. I opened Distiller, choose one of my customer JobOptions, edited it, and Saved As to create a copy which, by default, it places in the user Settings folder:

April Singer --> AppData  --> Roaming  --> Adobe  --> AdobePDF  --> Settings

I have not tried placing the newly saved JobOption file elsewhere...I can try that and then Add it via Distiller.

I noticed the links off to the right of my screen with similar topics and apparently this situation isn't new. I saw people having trouble using custom JobOption files back in Acrobat 9 (with various apps, not necessarily Frame), and same situation in that the JobOption file did exist but wasn't recognized.

Maybe I need to move this to the Acrobat forum.

Thanks for trying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

April,

Try C:\Users\All Users\Adobe\Adobe PDF\Settings for placing your custom joboptions.

FM stores the joboptions for each document as part of the Document Properties which may be different from what is stored in the book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK Arnis - I'll try that now...

ADDED: No "All Users" folder in Windows 7, at least that I find. There is a Users\Public folder but otherwise the folders are all specific to users (me, IT guys). Maybe somewhere in Public...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be dependent upon how Acrobat was installed on your machine. In that case, your specific AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe PDF\Settings folder should be the location for the custom joboptions.

Sometimes a machine reboot gets rid of the gremlins...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the Roaming folder/contents has caused me some other confusio in the past (unrelated to Adobe applications). I'll see if I can pinpoint that.

I have restarted my machine several times, unrelated to this issue, but I shall do so again right now just to be sure. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arnis - do you think I should move this to the Acrobat forum instead? For now I can use the Standard JobOption to get some stuff out, but at some point I need to figure this out and I'm thinking maybe the core issue is with Acrobat configuration, not Frame even though the alert I get is from Frame. What do you think? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I copied my two Job Option files to the AppDate\Roaming...location and they show up in Framemaker when I go to my Print Setup (where I make one of them the default) and the right JobOption loads into the PDF Setup dialog when I go to print (Ctrl-P) but when I click Set to continue I have the same problem - alert noted in my original comment.

Very frustrating. Doesn't seem that something so simple should be such a pain!

EDIT - think I'll search for those two JobOption files and delete them everywhere except my master and then try putting them in the AppData\Roaming location again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still stuck. Here are my latest observations:

• From Devices and Printers in Windows, I open the Printing Preferences for my Adobe PDF printer and the Default Settings drop-down list on the Adobe PDF Settings page lists all of the JobOptions (those installed with Acrobat by default, and my custom ones). The custom JobOption is being picked up from the User\AppData\Roaming...folder as Arnis mentioned. I confirmed this by removing the JobOption file from that location and noting that it no longer appears in that drop-down list. Put it back, it does.
  • From Distiller the behavior is the same as described above for Devices and Printers.
  • In Framemaker 11, with no documents open, I access Print Setup (File -->), and click Properties to view the Adobe PDF Document Properties (same dialog as accessed from the Windows Control Panel above). Same result as above, both my custom JobOptions and those installed with Acrobat are in the Default Settings list. This is pretty obvious, but just confirming.
  • In Framemaker 11 I create a new document and save it then press Ctrl-P to bring up the Print Document dialog. The Printer defaults to Adobe PDF as it should. I click PDF Setup to open the PDF Setup dialog. There I note that the PDF Job Options drop-down reads "No PDF Job Options Available" and there are no other options (obviously) in the drop-down list.
  • In Framemaker 11 I open a book (or standalone document) that was created in Frame 7.2. I press Ctrl-P to access the Print Book dialog. Adobe PDF is the Printer. I click PDF Setup and note that the PDF Job Options drop-down is set to my custom JobOption. There are no other options on that drop-down list though. If I click Set to proceed, I get the message from Frame that the selected Job Option doesn't exist in the current installation.

So, it seems that Framemaker is not seeing any JobOptions - or is it Acrobat from within Framemaker at this point? I'm not sure. Apparently the name of the JobOption that was last used with an old document is embedded in that document so it shows up in the Print Setup dialog but it isn't really "there".

So where is "there" if not the AppData\Roaming...folder where my custom JobOptions reside or the Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat11.0\Acrobat\Settings folder where the Acrobat-installed JobOptions are?

ADDED: Here's something I hadn't noticed. Tried to use the Save as PDF option in Framemaker and get two alerts:

• "To execute "Save as PDF" command you must have Acrobat Distiller version 5.05 or higher installed."

Followed by:

• "To execute "Save as PDF" command you must have PDF Job Options defined."

I have Distiller XI installed. Hmmmm.

Maybe I should uninstall both Frame and Acrobat and start over? If so, does anyone know if I can just uninstall and reinstall? Any other step like deactive first? Also, does it matter which one is installed first? I'd probably install Frame first unless there is a reason not to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same dilemma a while back. Storage locations of .joboptions files vary by Acrobat version and OS. Even then, there are multiple locations. The location you quoted in your original message seems to be a location that Acrobat stores master copies of default .joboptions, but doesn't actually read from. Anyway, every time I set up a new computer, it seemed like I had to research where to put my old .joboptions files. So I took notes! Here they are, largely quoted from various parts of Adobe help files:

===

New PDF presets (.joboptions files) that you create are stored in the Settings folder in the following locations:

Windows XP:

Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Adobe\[Version]\Adobe PDF

Use "All Users" to make presets available to everyone. Try to keep only Adobe presets with RAH attribute (unchangeable) in this folder. Keep custom presets in individual user folders.

Windows Vista:

Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\[Version]\Adobe PDF

Use "Public" to make presets available to everyone. Try to keep only Adobe presets with RAH attribute (unchangeable) in this folder. Keep custom presets in individual user folders.

Windows 7:

C:\Users\All Users\Adobe\Adobe PDF\Settings  (program default settings)

C:\Users\All Users\Adobe\Adobe PDF\Extras  (additional settings available, if moved to Settings)

C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe PDF\Settings  (custom user settings)

Mac OS:

[username]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PDF

These presets automatically appear in the Adobe PDF Presets menu.

NOTE: PDFX4 presets do not show in Distiller because they contain features not supported in PostScript. These presets are useable, however, by Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. You can also use Acrobat Preflight to convert files to PDFX4 compliance.

Supplementary InDesign PDF presets are installed in the Adobe PDF\Extras folder. Use your system search utility to locate additional .joboptions files. You may also receive custom PDF presets from service providers and colleagues. For these presets to be listed in the Adobe PDF Presets menu, they must be moved to the Settings folder either manually or by using the Load command.

=====

Adobe PDF presets

A PDF preset is a group of settings that affect the process of creating a PDF. These settings are designed to balance file size with quality, depending on how the PDF are used. Most predefined presets are shared across Adobe Creative Suite applications, including InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and Acrobat. You can also create and share custom presets for your unique output requirements. A saved PDF preset file has the suffix .joboptions.

A few of the following presets are not available until you move them from the Extras folder (where they installed by default) to the Settings folder for custom settings.

Typically, the Extras and Settings folders for default settings are found in (Windows) Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/Adobe/Adobe PDF, (Vista) ProgramData/Adobe/Adobe PDF, or (Mac OS) Library/Application Support/Adobe PDF. The default settings files installed with Distiller are Read Only and Hidden.

The custom settings are found in (Windows) Documents and Settings/[username]/Application Data/Adobe/Adobe PDF/Settings, (Vista) Users/[username]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe PDF/Settings, or (Mac OS) Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PDF/Settings.

==

Some presets are not available in some Creative Suite applications.

Review your PDF settings periodically. The settings do not automatically revert to the default settings. Applications and utilities that create PDFs use the last set of PDF settings defined or selected.

High Quality Print

Creates PDFs for quality printing on desktop printers and proofing devices. This preset uses PDF 1.4, downsamples color and grayscale images to 300 ppi and monochrome images to 1200 ppi. It also embeds subsets of all fonts, leaves color unchanged, and does not flatten transparency (for file types capable of transparency). These PDFs can be opened in Acrobat 5.0 and Acrobat Reader 5.0 and later.

Oversized Pages

Creates PDFs suitable for viewing and printing of engineering drawings larger than 200 x 200 in. (508 x 508 cm). These PDFs can be opened in Acrobat and Reader 7.0 and later.

PDF/A-1b: 2005 (CMYK and RGB)

Used for long-term preservation (archival) of electronic documents. PDF/A-1b uses PDF 1.4 and converts all colors to either CMYK or RGB, depending on which standard you choose. These PDFs can be opened in Acrobat and Reader versions 5.0 and later.

PDF/X-1a (2001 and 2003)

PDF/X-1a requires all fonts to be embedded, the appropriate PDF bounding boxes to be specified, and color to appear as CMYK, spot colors, or both. Compliant files must contain information describing the printing condition for which they are prepared. PDF files created with PDF/X-1a compliance can be opened in Acrobat 4.0 and Acrobat Reader 4.0 and later.

PDF/X-1a uses PDF 1.3, downsamples color and grayscale images to 300 ppi and monochrome images to 1200 ppi. It embeds subsets of all fonts, creates untagged PDFs, and flattens transparency using the High Resolution setting.

Note: The PDF/X1-a:2003 and PDF/X-3 (2003) presets are placed on your computer during installation. However, they aren’t available until you move them from the Extras folder to the Settings folder.

PDF/X-4 (2007)

This preset is based on PDF 1.4, which includes support for live transparency. PDF/X-4 has the same color-management and International Color Consortium (ICC) color specifications as PDF/X-3. You can create PDF/X-4-compliant files directly with Creative Suite 3 applications (Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop). In Acrobat 9, use the Preflight feature to convert PDFs to PDF/X-4 DRAFT.

PDF files created with PDF/X-4 compliance can be opened in Acrobat 7.0 and Reader 7.0 and later.

Press Quality

Creates PDF files for high-quality print production (for example, for digital printing or for color separations to an imagesetter or platesetter). However, it does not create files that are PDF/X compliant. In this case, the quality of the content is the highest consideration. The objective is to maintain all the information in a PDF file that a commercial printer or print service provider requires to print the document correctly. This set of options uses PDF 1.4, converts colors to CMYK, and downsamples color and grayscale images to 300 ppi and monochrome images to 1200 ppi. It embeds subsets of all fonts and preserves transparency (for file types capable of transparency).

These PDF files can be opened in Acrobat 5.0 and Acrobat Reader 5.0 and later.

Note: Before creating a PDF file to send to a commercial printer or print service provider, find out what output resolution and other settings are required. Or, ask for a .joboptions file with the recommended settings. You sometimes must customize the Adobe PDF settings for a particular provider and then provide a .joboptions file of your own.

Rich Content PDF

Creates accessible PDF files that include tags, hypertext links, bookmarks, interactive elements, and layers. This set of options uses PDF 1.6 and embeds subsets of all fonts. It also optimizes files for byte serving. These PDF files can be opened in Acrobat and Reader 7.0 and later. (The Rich Content PDF preset is in the Extras folder.)

Note: This preset was called eBook in earlier versions of some applications.

Smallest File Size

Creates PDF files for displaying on the web or an intranet, or for distribution through an email system. This set of options uses compression, downsampling, and a relatively low image resolution. It converts all colors to sRGB, and (for Adobe Acrobat Distiller-based conversions) does not embed fonts. It also optimizes files for byte serving.

These PDF files can be opened in Acrobat and Reader 6.0 and later.

Standard

Creates PDF files to be printed to desktop printers or digital copiers, published on a CD, or sent to a client as a publishing proof. This set of options uses compression and downsampling to keep the file size down. However, it also embeds subsets of all (allowed) fonts used in the file, converts all colors to sRGB, and prints to a medium resolution. Windows font subsets are not embedded by default. PDF files created with this settings file can be opened in Acrobat and Reader 6.0 and later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops. I inadvertently left out Windows 7 location in the message above and edited it to add them:

C:\Users\All Users\Adobe\Adobe PDF\Settings  (program default settings)

C:\Users\All Users\Adobe\Adobe PDF\Extras  (additional settings available, if moved to Settings)

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe PDF\Settings  (custom user settings)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An additional note: If you installed the PDF Creation Add-on that comes with FrameMaker AND Acrobat, you probably have a damaged PDF creation capability. The two are not compatible. If that is the case, you will have to uninstall FM, its PDF Creation Add-on, and Acrobat. Then reinstall Acrobat and FM without the add-on to fix things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is definitely not a damaged file. as I can report the same message:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2012 Nov 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the info, Mike. I recognize some of it at least from the document I mentioned earlier (can't recall the title at the moment).

How would I know if I installed the PDF Creation Add-on? I didn't specifically choose to install it, I know that, however, I did choose to install all features as opposed to the quick install or custom install (not the exact wording but I don't recall that at the moment either). Perhaps I should have done the more basic, quick install. I use relatively basic aspects of Frame, no structured docs.

I think I am simply going to search for all JobOption files on my system and delete them (except the master copy of my two from Frame/Acrobat 7) then uninstall Frame and Acrobat and start over. I have two questions in that regard, if someone can help me out:

1. Do I need to deactivate these apps before uninstalling (will I run into problems with the new installations if I don't)?

2. Should I install Frame first and then Acrobat, or does it matter?

One other more general question. The Users\All Users...folder/path has been brought up a few times now however, I don't find an All Users folder on my Windows 7 machine. I have individual user-specific folders (e.g., Users\April Singer, Users\IT Guy), and I have a Users\Public and a Users\Default folder. Perhaps All Users is hidden? Hopefully the reinstalls will solve this problem, but if not I'll be left trying to track this down again and then I'll need to find that folder, if it is essential.

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, if you didn't specifically choose NOT to install it, I believe

that FrameMaker installs the add-on by default. The installation screens

could use some work to make things more obvious. At installation, if I

recall correctly, there is a screen that pops up with vague language

about installing options or features or something-- or maybe about

installing "all features" or something like that. I can't remember the

language, but the PDF Creation Add-on is listed by itself (the only

option) with a prechecked checkbox on the right side of the screen. I

remember thinking, "Sheesh. If I didn't know that I do NOT want that

add-on, FM would automatically put it there and it's not at all clear

that it's even a choice to make."

I believe the add-on shows up in Control Panel's list of programs as

"Adobe PDF Creation Add-on" or something like. I know that it did in a

recent trial version of FM11. So you might look there to see if it's

listed. If it is installed, you'll probably have to uninstall it,

Acrobat, and maybe FrameMaker, too-- and then reinstall without the

add-on-- in order to put things right. The add-on and Acrobat do not get

along.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - I think I have to use the Custom installation option then, that is the one that lists the various installation components though I didn't even look at that option when installing. Just chose between the other two. I agree, the installation process should include more description about what the individual options represent.

I'll search the forums to see if I can confirm whether I need to deactivate before uninstalling and then do the reinstalls this morning so I can enjoy the upcoming four day weekend without worrying about Ok, so I probably won't think about it all either way on my days off but it would be nice to arrive at work Monday knowing everything was set! Thanks again for the tips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if deactivating is necessary if you are going to reinstall

on the same machine. You might want to do it anyway, to play it safe.

I'm sure someone else will know.

I don't think it matters in which order you install Acrobat or FrameMaker.

On Windows 7, the Public folder replaces All Users. I just noticed,

though, that Acrobat is NOT creating the public profiles in the Window 7

location it says in help! Sheesh! I found them here, instead:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Adobe PDF\Settings

But if you want them only for your username, they go here:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe PDF\Settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was thinking the same thing, just deactivate just in case. I don't think it can hurt.

Thanks for confirming about the All Users on Win 7 too. I was thinking my system was different than everyone else's! I'm going to take screen shots of my folders after the uninstall and cleanup, so that I can see exactly what the installers do this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

April,

You only need to deactivate a license if you're moving it to another machine, otherwise you can leave it as is. As Mike mentioned, if you used the default FM installation, then it automatically adds the PDFcreator add-on which would have hosed your Acrobat installation to varying degrees. You have to deselect that option and the install screen isn't very clear on this issue.

Also, when  (re)installing, do Acrobat first, then FM and also install it using an adminstrator account/priviliges.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that detail, Arnis. That is very useful information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, out of the frying pan and into the fire. After uinstalling Acrobat and Frame, and reinstalling everything clean as directed, I now get an Internal Error 11004.....which is something that haunted me for a long time after I first upgraded to Frame 7.2 years ago. What a mess. I'm going home, can't deal with this now. Will check the .txt log that was generated when I get in Monday. Darn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

make sure you apply the FM 11 patch - that fixes the book printing error

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2012 Nov 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff. I had installed all available updates for Frame with my original installation, but after uninstalling Acrobat and Frame and then installing them both again, I had forgotten to do that again. Maybe that was the problem. Thanks for the reminder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear April:

you sound close to tears. I know the feeling as does everyone who has to earns their living with FrameMaker. It is a high anxiety software. The log file will only tell you at what page Frame fell over. 

There is probably nothing wrong with your page.

The first thing I would check is that pesky dialogue in the Distiller dialogue. Unclick the "rely on system fonts." which I invariably forget to unclick after a new install when one's hopes are high and the clock is ticking.

Without adequate documentation, one is obliged to use vodoo methodology. My favourite vodoo trick at the time of writing in book mode is to upadate all files three times, with all boxes clicked.

You have to have the personality of a honey badger to get anything done in FM11.

Keep going

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines