• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

conditional text and text inserts in FM 10

Advisor ,
Nov 22, 2012 Nov 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A perfect scenario, I thought, for conditional text: user guides for versions A and B of the same product, where most of the content is the same for both and some specific to one or the other. Some of the variants – such as "Connecting the power supply" – are at chapter level, others at paragraph level … so I've set prepared two .book files, and two chapter files which contain a single sentence plus the condition settings: show A, hide B or show B, hide A, respectively.

Extra finesse, just sprung on me: one chapters, which exists in an A and a B version, uses a text insert for some common paragraphs and one of these paragraphs now needs to be hidden util development is completed.

Long context, then. Short problems:

• selecting all the files in a .book and using File > Import formats (with only Conditional text settings selected) doesn't seem to be working
  • the conditional text in the insert refuses to go away, even with the relevant condition defined, and set to Hide, both in the insert and in the chapter that calls it

Final question: do I need to brush up on conditions, or is FM 10 not as reliable as it might be here?

Windows 7.0, one single FM installation of 10.0.2.419

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2012 Nov 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Niels,

When you imported the text insert, what did you set for its properties behaviour, i.e. to stay as per the source or to use the properties in the currrent document?

Are you using "Show as per Condition" or "Show as per Expression" to control the appearance of the conditional text?

In the insert source document, does the relevant paragraph hide when the condition is applied?

Is the condition name spelled identically (capitalization and spaces) in the inset and document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 23, 2012 Nov 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the checklist, which I'll work through before I report back. I know I'm using Show as per condition, not yet having applied myself to mastering the "new" per expression :-}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines