Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blurry Pictures in Premiere

Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2012 Jul 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have created a slide show in Photoshop Elements 10. I clicked on output to send it to Premiere Elements 10 because my pictures were blurry/pixilated when I viewed them in full screen preview, but they were not blurry/pixilated in the screen above the timeline.

Once I had my slide show in Premiere, I finished making edits, created a DVD menu for it and then went to burn it to a DVD. None of the pictures were blurry in the screen above the sceneline. When I went to burn it to a DVD, I unchecked the box "fit to available space" and slid the quality slider all the way to the right. Most of the pictures were fine, but some are still blurry/pixilated.

Why is this happening and how can I correct it? Please provide detailed steps as I have only been using Premiere for about 2 weeks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 23, 2012 Jul 23, 2012

With Video, it is ONLY the pixel x pixel dimensions that matter. The DPI, or PPI, are meaningless. They apply to printing, and to Web/computer display, but do not matter for Video. Scale to match the Project's Frame Size.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to the premiere elements forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2012 Jul 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More on Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798

-Too Large May = Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/879967

-And another crash report http://forums.adobe.com/thread/973935

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely you are making your slideshow with high resolution images. PRE has to scale these down to DVD quality (720x480) which is not one of its strong points.

Use Photoshop Elements, or other preferred photo editing software, and resize those photos to 720x480 (NTSC), or 720 x 576 (PAL) before bringing them in to PRE.

If you want to do some pan and zoom you can make them a little bigger (1000 x 750).

Cheers,
--
Neale
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If your question is answered would you please mark it so. This helps others, and allows Adobe to see how well the community forum is performing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help, and I did not mean to post it twice. I did that because of the comment that said to move it to the Premiere Elements forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not Neale, but not a big problem on the duplicate post... takes people awhile to figure out forum navigation

Important thing is... did the advice on scaling pictures outside of PreEl fix the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just opened up the program and was going to attempt it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read the instructions in the message 450798 that I linked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

I reviewed the article and am now more confused than before. What measurement is 720 by 480?

I made a folder of the images I want to resize, then created the sub-folder. I opened Photoshop and clicked on process multiple files. I located my folders and opened them to the window and was then ready to resize. Is the 720 by 480 in pixels? There are several options in the drop menu. The article did not mention anything regarding the resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 23, 2012 Jul 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Video, it is ONLY the pixel x pixel dimensions that matter. The DPI, or PPI, are meaningless. They apply to printing, and to Web/computer display, but do not matter for Video. Scale to match the Project's Frame Size.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2012 Jul 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mr. Hunt,

Here is the info you requested in regards to the posts on your article.

Thanks for your help. I have taken up photography as a hobby in the last year 1/2. I know Photoshop fairly well. I'm not sure if any of this information will be of help, but I shot all of the pictures I took in scene mood, I have a Nikon D3000. I am not at the point where I can shoot every picture in RAW. Each of these pictures were shot in JPEG using scene moods.

I then edited many of them in Photoshop and when I saved the edited pictures, it was as a JPEG, but did make any other adjustments at the save menu. I have not resized any of the images, except some have been cropped. Next I put all the Photo's I wanted to use in the Photoshop organizer. Next I made my slide show using the slide show option under the create tab. I added title slides and music. When I would view the slides above the timeline, they were not pixilated, but when I clicked on full screen preview, many of the photo's were pixilated. Someone on the forum said to correct this, I had to output my slide show to Premiere Elements, which I did. He said that after I had finished making edits and adding a DVD menu, I went to burn it. On the DVD burning menu I unchecked the box "fit to available space" and slide the quality slider all the way to the right, which is what he told me to do. Keep in mind that again none of the pictures were pixilated in the area above the sceneline. Once I had burned it to a DVD, and viewed it, some were still pixilated, but others were clear.

This is where I am at now and not sure what else I can do. If there is anything else you need to do, I will provide the information. Again, thanks for your help.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 24, 2012 Jul 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

Let's look at the workflow for a moment.

• You started with JPEG, which is a compressed format to begin with. The Images are the full resolution that the camera produces. As an example, I will use my Nikon - and I would have JPEG "originals" at ~ 3000 x 4000 pixels.
  • Video will be approximately 720 x 480 pixels (NTSC) for SD DVD-Video, or up to 1920 x 1080 for HD BD (Blu-ray Disc) output.
  • The 3000 x 4000 is larger than either, and by a good amount, especially for DVD-Video. PrE will have to Scale the 3000 x 4000 to get the full Image into the Video Frame, or will effectively crop the 720 x 480, or 1920 x 1080 out of the 3000 x 4000 Image, leaving a lot of unused pixels, that MUST be handled at some point.
  • PrE has Scaling algorithms to accomplish the Scale of the Still Images, BUT they are not as good as those in Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements. Photoshop also offers several versions of the Scaling algorithms, such as Bicubic, Bicubic Sharper, Bicubic Smoother, etc. (Not sure about PSE in this regard.) The quality will be better, if one does the Scaling in PS/PSE first, and then Imports the Scaled Images into PrE.
  • As JPEG is a compressed format, if one keeps compressing each successive output to JPEG, more compression WILL take place, throwing out data, that can never be recovered, except by going back to the original Still Images, and starting over. Especially, if starting with compressed JPEG, I do not use that format for any additional generation, but use PSD, the native format of Photoshop, which is NOT compressed, and which will Import just fine into PrE - no additional JPEG compression, and hence no additional Image degradation from the JPEG format.
  • I will Scale to exactly what I need for my Video, though some like to "round up" a bit, hence the common suggestions to Scale to 1000 x 750 pixels (for SD Video), or 2000 x 1500 (for HD Video). Unless I need to Pan on a Zoomed out Still Image, I just go with the exact Frame Size for my Video Project. For the use of larger Still Images (for the Pans), I just calculate the exact size that I require and Scale that/those Image(s) to that exact size.

Hope that this helps, and also note that extreme Scaling, even down-Scaling, will degrade the Image some, though less, than if one up-Scales to larger.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2012 Jul 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mr. Hunt,

It is helpful but a little overwhelming. Where should I begin? Do I resize all my originals first or is there something to adjust on the slide show?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 25, 2012 Jul 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the originals to do my Scaling, but I NEVER Save over those originals - NEVER!

Then, I Import the Scaled images into my SlideShow. Now, I create my SlideShows in Premiere, and not in PS, or PSE, but that is just me.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 26, 2012 Jul 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A good recommendation is to burn your originals to a CD/DVD/Blu-ray (depending on how many and how large) so that you have a read-only backup original.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I resize them in the Slide Show editor in Photoshop or do I have to go into the main Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 22, 2012 Nov 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with photos.  I started a project with the Standard48kHz 720 x 480 settings. I usually didn't worry too much about the size of photos in previous projects but in this one, I noticed the photos were a bit blurry so I resized everything to 720 x 480 through photoshop - photos are still blurry. Since I was on version 9, I decided to upgrade to 11 but the problem is still there. I've rendered the video (no red lines) without success.

In other threads, the question comes up "what do you mean by blurry?" In my case, I can best define it as if you did a slight Gaussian Blur in photoshop....the entire photo looks as if you need glasses.

I'm a user going all the way back to I think Pre 2 and never had this issue. The only thing that I've changed over the years is I just switched from a PC to a MAC. All my projects (approx 20) that were done on a PC didn't have this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a couple of screen-caps, please?

I would do one from Photoshop, showing the Scaled Image open there, and then one of the Program Monitor in PrE, sized about the same on your screen, so that we are looking at the two Images (the one in PS and the one in PrE) at about the same screen resolution. Might take some tweaking, to get them to be about the same size. Before doing the screen-cap in PrE, do Render your Timeline (or at least that Image), to show it at its best.

Good luck, and there is nothing that I can think of (not between PrE and PS, or between a Mac and a PC) to account for this, other than perhaps the display showing details (or lack thereof), that do not show in the other.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first one is a shot of the photo opened in Clip Monitor, the second is from the Timeline, the third is from Photoshop. The interesting thing is, I wanted to confirm that I had the correct settings so I imported the photo again, when rendering, the photo seemed to get worse after it was rendered.

Screen shot 2012-11-22 at 9.02.38 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That IS major Blurring!

OK, let's step back just a bit, to make sure that we are on the same page.

You have a PrE DV Project at 720 x 480 (Widescreen 16:9, or Standard 4:3, and are you doing PAL, or NTSC?), and have Scaled your Image to 720 x 480 in Photoshop (what PAR do you have? PAR = 1.0, PAR = 0.9, or PAR = 1.2 - those for NTSC).

As soon as your Image is placed on the PrE Timeline, you see this blurring. Rendering that part of the Timeline makes it worse.

Is that correct?

What is the format of your Image, first the original Image's format, and then the output Image, once Scaled?

In the screen-caps, are we seeing the Scaled Image from PS, or the original?

When you did the Scaling in PS, which of the Bicubic Interpolation algorithms did you choose?

Have you added any Video Effects to that Image in PrE?

Good luck, and sorry for all the questions, but I have never encountered similar, so am looking at everything in the workflow.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm double checking everything but I'm stuck on the PAR.....where do I find those settings and what should they be on for NTSC 4:3? Using PE 9.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS can tell you the exact PAR, under the Image menu in the Toolbar, at the top of the screen.

With still Images, the PAR will most probably be 1.0 (Square Pixels), and for an NTSC Standard 4:3 Project w/ PAR = 0.9, the exact pixel x pixel size of the Still Images should be 640 x 480 with their PAR = 1.0. If you do the math, 720 x 0.9 = 648 pixels, but the Video standard is 640 pixels. That slight difference should NOT account for the blurriness that you are observing.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have a PrE DV Project at 720 x 480 (Widescreen 16:9, or Standard 4:3, and are you doing PAL, or NTSC?),

The project is 720x480, Standard 4:3, NTSC

Scaled your Image to 720 x 480 in Photoshop (what PAR do you have? PAR = 1.0, PAR = 0.9, or PAR = 1.2 - those for NTSC).

Yes it is scaled to 720x480 (I still can't find the PAR under the Image Menu??)

As soon as your Image is placed on the PrE Timeline, you see this blurring. Rendering that part of the Timeline makes it worse. Is that correct?

When I place it in the timeline, it actually looks a little pixelated but the rendering makes it look blurry.

What is the format of your Image, first the original Image's format, and then the output Image, once Scaled?

JPEG for both. 

In the screen-caps, are we seeing the Scaled Image from PS, or the original?

It is the scaled image in photoshop.

When you did the Scaling in PS, which of the Bicubic Interpolation algorithms did you choose?

Bicubic (Best for smooth gradients)

Have you added any Video Effects to that Image in PrE?

No Video Affects added

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, what you observe, should NOT be happening.

Now, going back to PS, if you are starting with a JPEG Image, then Scaling it, and Saving that Scaled Image, I would recommend doing the Save_As to PSD, rather than another JPEG compression, to maintain max. quality. However, what I see in the example does not look like additional JPEG compression.

As a test, can you attach both the original JPEG (before you Scale it in PS) and the Scaled JPEG to an e-mail, and send it to me at info AT huntphoto DOT com? Obviously, the AT = @, and the DOT = . with no spaces in between. I can handle large attachments, so there should be no problem there. I will then Open the original in PS and Scale it, then compare that with your Scaled version. I will Import into an NTSC DV Standard 4:3 Project, and see if I get the same results. I will then report what I discover.

As for the PAR in Photoshop, here is a look at things in PS CS 2:

Image_PAR.png

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines