• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MML and FM10

Advisor ,
Nov 20, 2012 Nov 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting back up to speed, and hoping to use MML to move a lot of content into a new document – something I've been doing off and on since FM 7. Have things changed in 10 that I need to know about?

I've already noticed that  as the first line no longer seems sufficient for FM to recognise the filetype: seems that the extension now has to be .mml as well.  More serious, even a tiny source file [content below] with one style tag and two lines of content is triggering the inscrutable "Filter encountered an error and could not complete …" message.

I'll check it later today with FM 9  Hints and tips welcome! I just hope the answer will not be something obvious I've forgotten ;-}

N

--- source ------

<MML>
<!DefineTag :p>
<:p>this is a test paragraph.

<:p>extension .txt is not recognised as MML

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Niels,

I think it migh be your use of the colon in the tag definition.

The following works for me:

<MML>

<!DefineTag title >

<!DefineTag h1 >

<!DefineTag h2 >

<!DefineTag p >

<!DefineTag bib >

<title>Chapter title

<h1>Heading 1

<p>paragraph text

<p>more paragraph text

<p>another paragraph

<p>yet another

<h2>Heading 2

<p>another paragraph

<p>The End

<bib>some text

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Arnis – nice to be back!  I know IDD makes my life very difficult if I use colons in tags, but I've been using them from FM 5.5 up till 9 without any problems. And in fact, I had the same idea here: makes no difference. Even more confusing, an MML file I'd prepared on another machine (with colons in the tags) loaded perfectly. Couldn't be something really obscure like line ends, could it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2012 Nov 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Niels,

I just tried your sample verbatim and it worked with no problems (so it's not the colons).

Could be the line endings. What editor do you use? Is there a return at the end of the last line (that sometimes trips things up)?

niels_mml.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 22, 2012 Nov 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning, Arnis – for the files that don't work, I've used Notepad++ set to produce UTF-8 and CR/LF line endings. For the file that did work … I'll have to check when I'm back at home. I'll keep you posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2012 Nov 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using just ASCII or ANSI modes in your editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 23, 2012 Nov 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great tip – solves both questions, too: no special requirement to use .mml as the extension.  There's an empty desk across from me if you want to spend less time typing answers to my questions  N

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines