• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Having an upgrade timing and eventual platform swapping problem

Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2012 Nov 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently have CS4 Standard Design Creative Suite installed on my laptop only (PC) which I need to upgrade to CS6 before December 31.  However, I will be buying an iMac before next spring on which I need to have the new CS6 upgrade installed (for Mac, obviously). 

This is causing me a headache because I don't want to pay for an upgrade just now on my PC in order to keep my upgrading priviledge and having to pay again for a new full version when I get my iMac, especially in view of the fact that the standard license technically allows me to install the software on my laptop and my desktop, provided that I don't use them at the same time. 

I searched the web quite a lot, and came upon the post below in a forum.  Can you tell me whether this is possible or not, because it would be the ideal solution for me!

"Upgrade to CS6 on your PC and then apply for a platform switch OK from Adobe which can take 2 days or 2 weeks - it all depends and their process changes everytime I try it.

While waiting for the CS6 for the Mac you can continue to use CS6 on the PC. After you make the switch you can continue to use CS5 on the PC as it is a legal license but you need to agree to stop using CS6 on the PC (and sign a statement to that effect) when you make the switch to the Mac."

Or, can I simply by the upgrade now, with the swap for Mac option, but wait until I get my new Mac to install it, all the while leaving my old CS4 working on my laptop?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 26, 2012 Nov 26, 2012

Thank you Jeff, and sorry for my outburst. 

I just subscribed to the cloud.  It is multi-platform and allows me to do what is described above, although I won't be needing half of what's in there and in the long run it will get more expensive.  But hey, it's still cheaper than buying two Creative Suite licenses. 

Thank you for your help,

Johanne

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2012 Nov 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Platform swaps are possible at any time. There is no need to include this in your planning at all. Refer to this:

Order an Adobe product platform swap or language swap

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply, Mylenium, but I already knew that, as mentioned in my text.  It is not what I was asking.  Please read it more closely.

According to the licensing agreement, I cannot have the same version of CS6 on two computers with two different platforms, CS6 has to be all Mac or all PC.    If I swap everything to Mac, I won't be able to use it on my PC laptop anymore (the CS6 version).   

My question is:  can I upgrade my old PC laptop to CS6 and make the swap to my iMac when I buy it, then revert my old PC laptop to the previously installed CS4 version for PC after the swap, keeping the CS6 only on the Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not quite sure I actually understand you. The serial number of the previous qualifying product is figured into the activation. Making a platform swirtch invalidates that, as essentially you get a full new serial number for the new platform after which your old serial will eventualyl be invalidated on the activation servers. May not be imemdiately, but defintely after a while. So reinstalling CS4 would not be possible after the migration - at least from what I know about the process. Of course I can't vouche for what Adobe's current policies may be. Still, the short version probably is, that the only safe way to do that would be Creative Cloud on both systems.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mylenium is correct your license for CS4 is utilized in the upgrade process to CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, if this is so, it sucks big time! 

It would mean that a user does not have his choice of computers on which to install the software he pays lots of $$$ for, and if he is using two different platforms, he gets less for his money than the customer who has both computers on the same platform.  I am being penalized because I don't have the budget to change my laptop to a MacBook at the same time as I buy a new iMac AND upgrade my creative suite!   

Money making scam, if I may say so, because Ligtroom will work on both platforms as most of Adobe's unexpensive software, why not CS6?  The reason is simple in my mind: CS6 is 10 times the price of Lightrom so there are big bucks to make from forcing users to buy a full license for each platform... 

Sorry, I had to vent a little bit here... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only cost for the platform swap is the cost of the installation media. 

Currently the only offerings available for Creative Suite 6 software which is multi-platform is either purchasing a volume license or as Mylenium suggested subscribing the the Creative Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jeff, and sorry for my outburst. 

I just subscribed to the cloud.  It is multi-platform and allows me to do what is described above, although I won't be needing half of what's in there and in the long run it will get more expensive.  But hey, it's still cheaper than buying two Creative Suite licenses. 

Thank you for your help,

Johanne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Excellent thank you for the update CameleonQc!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines