Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sync paragraphs between two different .fm

New Here ,
Nov 27, 2012 Nov 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I need to duplicate a .book, included .fm.

In the  duplicated files, title and index are different, but the content will include many text and images from the original. Only a few paragraphs changes.

Is there any way to copy as a reference these texts and images for prevent errors or not to duplicate future changes.

Thanks

P.S.: Sorry for my bad english.

RaĆŗl

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2012 Nov 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make one book the master copy containing all text (Say, edition A and edition B).

Use Condition Codes to tag the variant text. Leave the common text untagged.

Create a second book for Edition B. Import the entire Flow A from the edition A files.

When rendering edition A, show A, and hide the condition code for edition B.

When rendering edition B, show B, and hide the cc for edition A.

Do all editing in the A file set.

Generated files (TOC, IX) can be unique to each book.

We do this for badge-engineered variants of the same basic product (with entirely different page layouts), and for domestic vs. export variants of the same manual (with frequent cases of word-by-word tagging). It works surprising well, and is very stable (but this is FM7.1/Unix).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2012 Nov 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much.

What about images and anchored frames?

I don't know if I understand you, but I'll try.

regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> What about images and anchored frames?

Images can't be made conditional, but their frame anchors can. So, no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After doing some test, I think there is a better way to do this whithout duplicating files. Any.

Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

My files:

-Product.book

-Product_Title.fm

-Product_Index.fm

-Product_Content.fm

I need to create Product A and Product B, they are not exactly the same, but only changes the engine. Some tables, images and texts will change.

I didn't understand you so well, maybe what I'm going to say could be the same.

My conclusion is that I'm going to create only ONE Product.book, only ONE Product_Title.fm, only ONE Product_Index.fm and only ONE Product_Content.fm.

To create PDF files, as same for MIF, I'll only need to show/hide conditional text of .fm files from .book file. By this way is how I can create ProductA.pdf and ProductB.pdf from only ONE  .book file.

Am I wrong? Is there other easier way?

Thank you in advance.

Regards.

P.S.: Sorry for my bad english.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> My conclusion is that I'm going to create only ONE Product.book, only ONE Product_Title.fm, only ONE Product_Index.fm and only ONE Product_Content.fm.

That works, as long as your page layouts and formats don't need to be different.

In our badge engineering case, the cover and all page layouts are substantially different, so having a separate book structure, and importing Flow A of the "content.fm" file is the solution.

We're doing the domestic vs. export versioning with dual books as well, against the likelihood that the export versions will eventually need to be on A4 pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it. When I change between Product A and Product B, when a paragraph is deleted, page layout is updated. When a whole page is deleted, leftover page is also deleted.

Still not understanding your method, sorry .

Excuse me for making so many cuestions, I'm trying to understand this workflow, not to invalidate your response!

I am extremely grateful.

Best regards

RaĆŗl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2012 Nov 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Are you doing an Apply Master Pages after changing show/hide Condition Codes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines