• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't use certain fonts in Flash CS6!

Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2012 Nov 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting crazy over this problem and can't find any solution online or in any forum. The thing is, I can't use certain fonts in Flash CS6. For example the Google Web font "Alegreya", and my purchased font from MyFonts named "Gibson", doesn't show up in the font list, in the Character panel in the Flash CS6 interface. Alegreya is a TrueType font and Gibson is OpenType.

Another weird problem is with the Google Web font "Arvo". When I use the Regular state of that font it works nice, but when I switch to the Bold state the whole text field turns into a grey block?? See the screenshot on this link:

I have tried several things to solve these issues. I use Suitcase Fusion 4 as my font handling program, so my first test was to close down that program and make it not start automatically on startup. Then I restarted my Mac, and installed the above mentioned fonts directly on the Mac by using the included Type program in Mac OSX. I also removed Flash CS6 from my computer, and restarted it.

But this doesn't help. And the really weird thing is that in ALL other Adobe programs such as Illustrator, Photoshop and Indesign, all these 3 fonts mentioned above works great!

Can anyone please help me with this issue? This is my system information:

Mac OSX version 10.7.5

Adobe Flash CS6 version 12.0.0.481

Suitcase Fusion 4 version 15.0.4 (but as mentioned, the problems doesn't seem to be connected to this program)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 18, 2012 Dec 18, 2012

many recent (past week or so) problems with fonts not showing in flash are due to an ms update.  to remedy, uninstall this update:  kb2753842

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do those fonts show up if you use actionscript to enumerate your fonts?

for(var font:Font in Font.enumerateFonts()){

trace(font.fontName);

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do you mean I should try that code, inside Flash CS6 interface? Running it on an empty frame gives me the 1067 error (it says it should be a String).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

use:

var a:Array = Font.enumerateFonts(true)

for(var i:int=0;i<a.length;i++){

trace(a.fontName);

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah thanks alot! And you're right – the missing fonts DO list in this Array, both Alegreya, Gibson and Arvo. Any idea what could cause this problem of them not displaying in the character panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you've not already done this:

close flash and shutdown or restart your computer.  reopen flash to see if the fonts are listed when selecting a textfield.

if that doesn't work, let me know.  we'll see if we can embed those fonts using actionscript.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2012 Nov 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I actually have done all that. I even uninstalled Flash, restarted my computer and installed Flash again.

The weird thing now is that I had to use my colleagues computer, and she can see the fonts i Flash CS6! She has the exact same version of the program as me. So this is a very weird bug that has to be connected to Flash on my computer.

When I open the file with the correct fonts, which I've created on her computer, I can see one of the fonts correct. But when selected, it says the font is "_sans", which of course it is not (it's Alegreya).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

flash is known to have problems with corrupt fonts.  i don't know if you have any corrupt fonts but see if you can use suitcase fusion to scan for corrupt fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same question....where do I paste this code?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can paste that code in any timeline that plays or in a document class.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2012 Nov 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found rebuilding the font cache in OSX works sometimes, all you have to do is:

- shut down the computer

- reboot holding the left Shift key, this will put it into 'safe mode' which will rebuild the font cache

- after it's loaded, restart it normally to get back into normal mode

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2012 Nov 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently had some insane font problems in Flash CS6. Turns out my problem was corrupt fonts in Adobe's font cache. I'm on a windows machine, so I'm not sure of the directory, but both Adobe and OSX have their own font caches which you should clean out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2012 Dec 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having problems with corrupt fonts in Flash 5, on a Windows machine - how do you clean it out on Windows?  Would really appreciate any help with this..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2012 Dec 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same probs with my flash cs6, the font's aren't corrupt and still i don't see them in my fontlist

in the other programs like PS, AI, ID, i can use them, but not in flash

Any solutions yet??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm facing the same problem as well on Mac OS X 10.7.4 and Flash CS6. Although on Windows the fonts are working fine. Any solution to this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

many recent (past week or so) problems with fonts not showing in flash are due to an ms update.  to remedy, uninstall this update:  kb2753842

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that's the problem since I'm using Mac not Windows. It might be an operating system issue but not sure as I recently upgraded to Mac OS X 10.7.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I also use Mac OS X 10.7.5 so this has nothing to do with Windows or Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same as for Erik H L, all the text fields when selected gives "_sans" although its a different font than "_sans". Also the font I installed isn't showing in the Family drop down list in Flash and all the characters are squashed as if the letter spacing is small although it isn't. attached a screenshot here:

Screen Shot 2012-12-18 at 6.37.06 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2013 Feb 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have the exact problem!

I'm working with Mac OsX 10.8.2. and and Suite Fuison 4.
The problem occurs in Flash CS6.

The fonts either aren't displayed at all or condensed and squashed, like in the screenshot from post#20
Hope some one can help?
I already cleared the Suite Fusion Cache and reinstalled the fonts, deleted duplicated ones... etc.

Please help!
Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2013 Feb 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now been in contact for 2 weeks with the support behind Suitcase Fusion 4.

They are totally impossible to reason with. I have demanded a full refund of my purchase of their program, since it is clear that the program is causing the problem. But they refuse.

I have submitted to them a system profil file report of my Mac OSX system – though what will it help? I was FORCED to format my entire hard drive and install all programs again, just because of their program causing the font error/bug. I have told them which fonts I've been using which is like somewhere around 200 different fonts maybe, they seem to ignore that the problem does not rely on the Flash CS6 program or the fonts themselves.

As a working professional every lost hour is worth much to me – but that seems like it is also impossible to understand for the company behind Suitcase Fusion 4. That I had to remove the problem from my drive, so obviously now I can't replicate the problems or errors - and I DEFINETLY don't want to try to replicate the problem by installing the program again.

So my conclusion and WARNING - DO NOT BUY SUITCASE FUSION 4! They are scumbags and swindlers with no sense for customer service...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2013 Feb 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem that @Erik H L, @Getzo_R and @PINKPANDAJUJU reported, and thankfully just found a solution that worked for my Mac OSX 10.7.5 ... Flash CS6.

I restarted in safe mode by holding the left shift key down during reboot. This clears out the font cache. Note, it took quite awhile to reboot, and I finally got the screen that showed I was in safe mode.

Then I  rebooted normally, and viola, the fonts work again! Again, it took a long time to reboot...lots had to initialize again. Then when I started Flash CS6 I was beginning to think it was never going to start (took several minutes) but when it finally opened, all my missing fonts were  showing correctly. Whew!

Another tip I'd read to remedy this issue was to move ALL the fonts out of both user and computer library font folders...into a temporary folder. This essentially uninstalls them. Then move the misbehaving fonts back into the computer font folder (home/library/fonts) and that seemed to work for some folks. They then added the fonts they used often back into the folder as well, with no issues. I didn't try this method since the rebooting to safe mode fixed it for me, but thought I'd pass along this other advice, in case safe mode reboot doesn't fix it for someone. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 19, 2012 Dec 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot kglad. I was breaking my head over this for the two days. I uninstalled the ms update and all the fonts are back again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 19, 2012 Dec 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 21, 2012 Dec 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

Please read this TechNote for information on how this issue can be fixed.

Regards,

Suhas Yogin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines