• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

NOOK Simple Touch says "Error Dialog: user not activated" whenever I try to open e-books?

New Here ,
Nov 29, 2012 Nov 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had my Nook Simple Touch for about a year now, and I have been using Adobe Digital Editions without a problem. Now, all of the sudden, Barnes and Noble updated my software and I can't read any of my ADE books!! It just says "Error Dialog: User not activated" every time I click on them. I have looked at many other websites and I have tried plugging my nook in to my computer and reauthorizing it, reauthorizing my computer, deleting the digital editions file and .adobe-digital-editions file, redownloading my books, turning my nook off and on, crying, and screaming. The weird thing is, in all the instructions, it says a pop-up box will come up when I delete the files, but it never does. Is that normal? I always have to do it manually by clicking on the gear. I even made sure I "unhid" all the hidden files. I HAVE DONE EACH OF THESE AT LEAST 5 TIMES AND THEY NEVER WORK!!! HELP ME, PLEASE.

Also, a lot of the websites say to make sure your Barnes and Noble ADE I.D. is the same as the one on your ADE computer I.D.. Is the B&N ADE I.D. different from just the Barnes and Noble ID? Becasue I have been using my sisters email for my computer ADE and my email for the B&N I.D.. Are they supposed to be the same? If so, how come I was able to use it without a problem before?? I tried reauthorizing ADE with my email, because I also have an ADE account with my email, but then it wouldn't let me redownload my books onto the new account. Does this mean I have to change the ADE computer I.D. and wait until my books are available again to read them? Is that the way to fix it? UGH!

Help is much appreciated.

P.S. I have ADE version 2.0

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Dec 04, 2012 Dec 04, 2012

To confirm others' findings/solution:

• Uninstall both of the following directories from Nook Simple Touch using Windows Explorer:
    • adobe-digital-editions
    • Digital Editions
  • Unmount/disconnect the Nook from the PC
  • Quit and Restart ADE
  • Reconnect the Nook to the PC
  • From within ADE, click the Gear/Down Arrow next to the Nook.
  • Select Authorize Device
  • Copy Library Books using Drag & Drop or the right click context menu --> Transfer to Device

This solved the "Error Dialog: User not activated" issue on my Nook Simple

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also having problems with my daughter's Nook since the 1.2 update.  After trying several things, and in the process authorizing the device multiple times, I have now run out of activations!  Now my daughter cannot read the books she is halfway through.  We are both extremely frustrated with this process.  How can I get my library EPUBs working again??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh! This is happening to me too! I just did a reset on my nook and that still didn't help! Although it did finally get the files to delete.  Like you I wasn't able to delete the ebook files either no matter how many times I tried before the reset.

Now that I've done the factory reset the adobe digital edition doesn't even recognize that my nook is plugged in and I there are no pop-up boxes for activation.

I don't know what else to try. I guess I'm going to go to bed and hope they fix this soon!  It's bad enough that I had to plug in my nook to my computer to borrow books from my library.  Now this isn't even working.  My phone is so much easier, but not as nice of a reader.  Oh well, guess I'm reading on the little screen tonight....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 30, 2012 Nov 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also happened to me this AM! I tried to get online help from B&N.  The tech just told me to reauthorize as you've done.  I did it several times and it didn't help!  I even tried creating a new ADE account.  Sure, the new ADE account did prompt my to authorize my Nook.  So I thought I was done.  But when I checked my Nook for the library book, it still says "User not activated".  Something must be terribly wront with the Nook software update!!!  HELP!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 30, 2012 Nov 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got it to work!  Went to the link below.  Apparently, my problem was that my computer is a Mac.  So the answer to my problem was provided by "lfeuln" : "FYI for those on Macs - you must delete ".adobe-digital-editions" IN ADDITION to the Digital Editions folder, however this file is hidden!!! I went to a PC to delete. If you don't have one, you'll need to use the terminal to view hidden files."

So HAPPY!!!

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Simple-Touch-General/Error-Dialog-User-Not-Activated/td-...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 01, 2012 Dec 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem with using a Mac. You have to delete both the "Digital Editions" and the ".adobe-digital-editions" folders. Directions to Show Hidden Files on your Mac from Terminal are here (just copy-paste the commands):

http://osxdaily.com/2009/02/25/show-hidden-files-in-os-x/

Once I did that I followed the rest of the instructions from here (even though I don't have the color one, it still worked): http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-Support/Error-dialog-user-not-activated/td-p/12903...

Thanks everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2015 Feb 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that this happened to you about 2-3 years ago but it just happened to me today and I couldn't make it work until I read your post and deleted those files from my nook after installing ADE 4 or something today!  Thank you!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2016 Aug 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hidden Files!!!

Thank you!!  This is absolutely correct.  I deleted the "Digital Editions" file several times, but couldn't find the ".adobe-digital-editions" file to delete.  Until showing hidden files.  There it was.  I deleted both files, plugged everything back in, reauthorized the device and everything worked as planned.

Great answer to the question!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU  from a MAC user that was stymied and just wanted to read a nice book by the fire while the world burns...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2012 Dec 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here: Got the "not authorized" error. I ended up trying all of the above solutions, and finally got it to work by deleting and installing the newer version of ADE:

After deleting the files (both hidden and non-hidden folders) the Nook would no longer appear in ADE and I received no "Authorize" prompt. I tried a hard reset of the Nook Simple Touch, Re-booted my Mac, etc. etc. etc. I finally deleted Adobe Digital Editions (version 1.8), and installed the latest version (2.0). Once I installed 2.0 it finally recognized the Nook when I plugged it in to the Mac, and allowed to to authorize it. I think in my case it was an out-dated version of ADE not playing well with the Nook 1.2 update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2012 Dec 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I just wish the update was optinal.

All B&N says is that it has "minor enhancements"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2012 Dec 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To confirm others' findings/solution:

• Uninstall both of the following directories from Nook Simple Touch using Windows Explorer:
    • adobe-digital-editions
    • Digital Editions
  • Unmount/disconnect the Nook from the PC
  • Quit and Restart ADE
  • Reconnect the Nook to the PC
  • From within ADE, click the Gear/Down Arrow next to the Nook.
  • Select Authorize Device
  • Copy Library Books using Drag & Drop or the right click context menu --> Transfer to Device

This solved the "Error Dialog: User not activated" issue on my Nook Simple Touch, running OS v1.2, ADE 2.0+, and Windows 7 Pro x64.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2016 Feb 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solved the problema!!    Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2016 Oct 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me.  Thank you for the post!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 06, 2013 Jan 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did anyone get answer?  I see post going back as far as Nov 2012.  It Jan 2013 and I am having the same problem with my Nook Touch.  I was prompted to upgrade my ADE it was originally installed Dec 2010.  Finally got the computer to authorize and the items to transfer to the Nook.  But I am getting the same error message, user not authorized.  Started from scratch and reinstalled ADE and reset Nook, ADE will not authorize computer nor the Nook.  I get following message:  code E_Auth_not_Ready.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 07, 2013 Jan 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may help to ininstall ADE v2.0 and install v1.7.2.

Version 1.7.2, it is a little difficult to find, available on Adobe site for Windows and for Mac.

http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/cant-install-digital-editio ns.html

also for PC at http://www.tucows.com/preview/853736/Adobe-Digital-Edition-For-EBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2013 Jan 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had tried everything posted on the message boards here and on B&N with no sucess. Finally, I called the local B&N store and they advised me that this problem occurred when they recently updated the Simple Touch software. He suggested erasing and deregistering the device.

Go to Settings, then Erase and Deregister device

This will wipe the Nook clean. (If you bought books from B&N, you can access them again by signing into your Nook account, download to your computer and move them to your Nook)

Re-register your device using the same B&N account info you first set it up with.

Plug it into your computer, and move your library books over from ADE.

This worked for me and I did a Happy Dance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2013 Jan 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the deregistering worked for me too. It also helped me declutter my nook!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2013 Feb 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just FYI, according to Barnes & Noble's own "KnowledgBase" they are aware of this problem. At the bottom of a page discussing this problem, in a SMALL Note, is the following (word for word):

"Note: You may be required to re-authorize the NOOK after any software update has occurred (i.e. updating NOOK Color from version 1.4.1 to version 1.4.2). Any previously side loaded libary books will provide the "User Not Authorized" message when attempting to open after a software update."

In other words, Barnes and Noble is forcing users to go through this process of: deleting the folders and files for ADE on the NOOK, deleting all their previously loaded library books from both the Nook and ADE, re-authorizing their Nook, re-downloading their borrowed library books into ADE, and then re-uploading those titles to their Nook. What fantastic customer service. Sarcasm noted, I hope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 17, 2013 Mar 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to Fix this on a Windows System:

1. Delete the book out of your Nook and close Adobe Digital Editions.

2. Make sure you are set to view hiden files and folder:  In Windows Explorer (My Computer) Tools menu > Folder options... > View tab, make sure Show hidden files, folders and drives is selected.

3. Attach your Nook ST to your computer via USB.

4. Open My Computer and go into the NOOK drive.

5. Delete the folder called:  .adobe-digital-editions

6. Detach your nook from the USB cable.

7. Open Adobe Digital Editions.

8. Attach your Nook via USB cable.

9. Authorize your Nook in Adobe Digital Editions.

10. Copy the book to your Nook.

11. Make sure your book opens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2015 Sep 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this for 3 weeks and nothing worked. I uninstalled ADE about 6 different times along with removing the files on my pandigital novel reader and I still got the error of 'not activated' when trying to open my library ebooks.

I was at the point of resetting to factory default but I tried one more thing and it worked!!!!

My browsers are Google Chrome and Explorer and I got to thinking maybe ADE is reading my cookies and setting everything as before because my info would already be on ADE?   I downloaded Firefox and then I went and re installed ADE  via Firefox so my cookies couldn't be read and re authorized my computer and device...and IT WORKED.

!@

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 29, 2013 Sep 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are several responses that provide detailed information for the deletion of the two adobe digital folders on the nook.  Please review the comments about these two Adobe files.  It is critical this deletion process is completed on a Microsoft computer, as MAC does not show hidden files; therefore, the MAC does not locate one of the files.  If both of these files are not deleted, the process of transferring the ebooks to the NOOK will NOT work.

FYI - Adobe Digital creates these files automatically when the nook is authorized and synchronized with the program.

We make these commments as we were thoroughly frustrated yesterday, but the process worked well on a Microsoft laptop, and now files transfer very easily to the NOOK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2014 Feb 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have reauthorize nook.

But first delete both Adobe files.  One of them is hidden.  To unhide: http://guides.macrumors.com/Viewing_hidden_files_on_a_Mac

Then reauthorize.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2014 Mar 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my God, this has been a huge pain in the neck but I finally fixed it with the above instructions. I have the original Nook & have used it for years no troubles at all. I was about to give up & put the book I wanted onto my tablet. Thanks for the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2014 Oct 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got same problem "Error Dialog: User not activated" after uploading a DRM protected ebook.

I have a Nook Simple Touch

This solved the problem for me. Only had to go to step 5.

1.Go to “My Computer” (or the equivalent on your PC or Mac) and click on the Nook drive.
2.Find and delete the “.adobe-digital-editions file.  (I copied my digital editions folder to my PC and then deleted

it from the Nook, in addition to delete the .adobe ID.)
3.Close ADE
4.Restart ADE
5.Your Nook should now be visible to ADE, if not
6.Go back to the Nook drive
7.Find the “Digital Editions” file and delete it
8.Close ADE
9.Restart ADE

10.  Nook will be visible

11.  Click “Authorize Device”

ref

https://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/message/5099

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines