• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get rid of the spaces in my custom pattern brush?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2012 Dec 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm exploring custom brushes in Illustrator (CS6) but cannot figure out how to get rid of the spaces in between my brush pattern. I have the brush stretched to fit and the spacing at 0% but there is still a tiny gap before each pattern repetition. I tried to make the spacing a negative % but you can't do that Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

brushprobs.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the Illustrator Forum weasel19.

Make sure the left and right edges match each other, also ensure that each is perfectly straight vertically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Draw a no-fill, no-stroke rectangle behind the artwork. This rectangle is used as the bounding area of rhte pattern. Ensure what is at the rectangles edges line up.

If you drag the artwork from the Brush Panel to the artboard you'll see that Illustrator already created a rectangle. You can simply adjust that rctangle then drag the artwork back tot he Brush Panel holding the Option/Alt key down and rop it on top of hte existing artwork to replace it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[scott w]'s suggestion will allow for what I stated via a dynamic fashion where actual editing of your brush shape is not needed, good call [scott w] nice suggestion. But it still will not allow for the left and right edges to match each other using this method by itself aside from ensuring that the edges are straight. It will make the edges straight but the two sides may have different appearances, heights , etc., and this will still be noticeable as it repeats, unless you make the two edges match.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it still will not allow for the left and right edges to match each other using this method by itself aside from ensuring that the edges are straight. It will make the edges straight but...

No it won't. The rear invisible rectangle does not clip the artwork in the Brush tile; it only determines the spacing. The tiles will overlap, which in this case may be fine, since it's a scribble pattern anyway.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JETalmage wrote: No it won't. The rear invisible rectangle does not clip the artwork in the Brush tile; it only determines the spacing. The tiles will overlap, which in this case may be fine, since it's a scribble pattern anyway.

Hey Jack thanks for stopping by. I am aware of what the empty rectangle does, but it would not work in all cases. Sure it might be acceptable with a scribble where randomness is present, but since the OP stated "I'm exploring custom brushes in Illustrator" I thought I would point it out as they continue their exploration to have as a consideration going forward, since not all brushes or designs are based on scribbles. But argue away if you desire, function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))} blah... blah...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am aware of what the empty rectangle does...

Evidently not. You said:

...It will make the edges straight but...

But it won't. (Thus my reply.)

...but it would not work in all cases...

And who said it would work in "all cases", WJT?

On the other hand, though, the technique of intentionally causing Pattern Brush tile artwork to overhang the spacing is a feature most commonly used to advantage.  Without it, Pattern Brushes would be hugely debilitated.

It's used in almost all of these PatternBrush examples:

And my name's not Jack.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JETalmage wrote: And my name's not Jack.

Abuse removed by moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 02, 2012 Dec 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 02, 2012 Dec 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 03, 2012 Dec 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to go back and read this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 03, 2012 Dec 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 04, 2012 Dec 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

removed by moderator

you kept sending PMs asking for scripts, which obviously I have chosen, for my own reasons, to take down from my site.  My script pages were originally created as an XHTML class assignment. For a while, I used it as a convenience when referencing scripts from posts in this forum. I took it down because other websites were increasingly linking to it without permission, and went back to my original practice of manually entering links individually on threads as I need to. That is entirely my business, and none of yours.

removed by moderator

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 04, 2012 Dec 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

removed by moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 05, 2012 Dec 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

removed by moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Geez, W_J_T, cannot you let this go?

Many people likely have read enough of the thread to figure out who the characters are. Me? I keep reading this thread like passing a train wreck. I cannot help myself from looking.

Character assassination is unseemly. So is perpetuating this arguement. It is not helping anyone on the forum nor yourself.

As a reader/searcher of the forum more than a poster, I have read countless threads in an attempt to resolve issues I face. Of those threads--and this one--I do know who's advice I can count on way more often than not (has there been a "not"?).

Take care, Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MikeWenzloff wrote:

Hi MikeWenzloff , yes actually, I already stated this very desire...

W_J_T wrote:

.... Otherwise I am able and willing to shake hooves, bury the horseshoe and trot away with no ill feelings towards you James. I'll leave it to you James, your the only one whom can saddle up and do the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MikeWenzloff wrote:

Hi MikeWenzloff , yes actually, I already stated this very desire...

Well, then, simply don't respond further. It doesn't matter what "the other guy" does or doesn't do. All that matters is what we do as individuals. Really, your missives have been excessive diatribes without much substance. And certainly do not help the forum.

For myself, this will be my last post to the thread. Take the suggestion or not.

Take care, Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

MikeWenzloff wrote: All that matters is what we do as individuals.

Very true Mike, and none are exempt, regardless of knowledge or stature. I acknowledge I should have held my peace, regardless of others actions. I errored in that regard, my fault for not being stronger in that regard on the matter.

MikeWenzloff wrote: excessive ... without much substance.

I acknowledge exorbitant dialog, and apologize for that, however the factual substance remains, and again it's truly nothing new around here.

MikeWenzloff wrote: And certainly do not help the forum.

Agreed, thats why I already admitted and stated...

W_J_T wrote: Moderators: You're more than welcome to delete this whole conversation back to JET's post 5 and leave it at that, it has obviously added nothing to the actual threads value. I apologize to everyone ....

[admitfault][apologize][cease][silence]W_J_T[/silence][/cease][/apologize][/admitfault]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much to both of you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines