Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Error when opening PowerPoint related to Data Execution Prevention Mode

Nov 13, 2012 3:24 PM

Tags: #powerpoint_2010 #presenter_8 #data_execution_prevention_mode

I am experiencing an error when attempting to open a PowerPoint file. . Here is the full message: "powerPoint is experiencing a serious problem with PowerPoint com add in. This add-in is incompatible with Data Protection Execution Mode and should be disabled or upgraded to the latest version. Do you wish to disable?" I am using PowerPoint 2010 and Adobe Presenter version 8.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 13, 2012 9:17 PM   in reply to NWNITT49

Hello,

Does this error come all the time? Can you tell us the steps you performed in Presenter 8 before you received this error.

Please let us know if there is a specific workflow after which you get this error? We would try to work with you and solve this error for you.

Regards,

Mukul

Adobe Presenter Engg. Team.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 11:00 AM   in reply to NWNITT49

An answer to this question would be good. This might be the solution for a lot of Presenter/PowerPoint issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 12:39 PM   in reply to NWNITT49

An official Adobe patch for Presenter? So, like, Presenter 8.0.1?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 11:19 AM   in reply to NWNITT49

Hello -- I would be interested in a resolution to this as well.  I am having the same exact issue, and so are others around my company since we upgraded to Presenter 8 in the past month... I am not sure of that exectuable file name either to be able to disable DEP for it. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Jorma Jennings
    1,850 posts
    Jul 5, 2007
    Jan 28, 2013 11:56 AM   in reply to SMackowiak

All updates for Presenter are available here, along with documentation and help.

http://helpx.adobe.com/presenter.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 12:12 PM   in reply to NWNITT49

Thank you, Jorma -- I actually have the most up to date Presenter files.  I am going to log another case with Adobe Support with this info and see if I can get it  resolved.  I have to - I have a whole education program waiting to be launched, but is being held up because I cannot edit or publish my files.  This has been the longest month of my life.

NWNITT49, Thanks for info - I will post back here if I have any luck.

|
    Mark as:
  • Jorma Jennings
    1,850 posts
    Jul 5, 2007
    Jan 28, 2013 12:15 PM   in reply to SMackowiak

If you can, I would call Adobe Support at 800-945-9120 and see if they can help resolve the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 3:00 PM   in reply to NWNITT49

I've continually experience the same issues. I have updated to Presenter 8.02.

If I open a project by double-clicking the .pptx file I get the following error message:

"Run-time error '-2147467259 (80004005)

SlideShowWindow (unknown member) :Invalid request. Automation rights are not granted."

If I then enter the Presenter tab and click an option (for instance "Settings") Powerpoint crashes and restarts itself. Once restarted the following error message is presented:

"PowerPoint experienced a serious problem with the 'adobe presenter powerpoint com adding' add-in. This add-in is incompatible with Data Execution Prevention mode and should be disabled or upgraded to the latest version. Do you wish to disable this add-in from loading?"

I can often crash Powerpoint with the same DEP warning by closing the presentation with the window's "X" button - Powerpoint restarts itself and gives the same DEP warning as above.

I normally choose to not disable and continue working. If I then go to "Settings" in Presenter again, it will open without problem. It seems that after four to six occurences like this, Presenter will then be disabled by Powerpoint and require resetting in the File-Options-Addins section.

Alternately, if I open Powerpoint first and then open my project through the File-Open or Recent Presentations list I do not get the Run-time error mentioned above and usually can open a Presenter option ("Settings") without crashing Powerpoint. I can also close the project without incedent if I use the File-Close menu as opposed the the "X" button.

I am running Win 7 64bit, Powerpoint 2010 32bit with Presenter 8.02.

Sincerely hoping support is continuing to monitor these threads, as this one was started in November without much response.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 7:15 AM   in reply to gdfflbz51

gdffbz51 - yes, you are describing what happens to me exactly... I get the run-time error as well - although, I believe that I have 32-bit build - my system type is X86-based PC - but I also have PPT 2010 and Presenter 8.02.  I have updated my case with Adobe and have referenced this string for them in my case update.  I am going to try and work today by using only file open and close like you have referenced.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 12:03 PM   in reply to SMackowiak

I think I have this problem fixed.  After another few Adobe calls, the person asked me to have my IT log in as a local admin and not on the domain... sure enought, I did not get the run-time error and can navigate in and out without issue.  From there, my IT guy renamed my temporary files... and it seemed to work... fix here:

http://bbfaq.clemson.edu/questions/63/Error%3A+PowerPoint+Experienced+ a+serious+problem+with+the+Adobe+Presenter+add-in

Early on, I did have suceess with Adobe support emptying my temporary files, and I was doing that daily... guessing that may be the root of this issue somehow.  I hope this fix continues to work for me and it works for some of you that have been having the same problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 8:57 AM   in reply to NWNITT49

We just bought Adobe Presenter 8 (32 bits version) to run it on Windows 8 64bits, with Office 2013 32bits. Video Creator works fine, but I cannot get Adobe Presenter 8 to start.

In PowerPoint 2013, I see that the Add-In is disabled, because of an issue with DEP:

adobe_presenter_8.dep.jpg

I tried to deactivated DEP for "MenuLauncher.dll", but Windows 8 denied it (it said that MenuLauncher.dll required DEP). I tried also the solution above, but I do not have the same temporary folders anywhere.

According to the tech specs, http://www.adobe.com/products/presenter/tech-specs.html, Presenter 8 is supported on Windows 8 and Office 2013 32 bits:

adobe_presenter_8.tech.jpg

Please help

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points