• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dreamweaver and Java SE 6 Runtime problem on MAC Mountain Lion OSX

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2012 Dec 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a problem with dreamweaver. I really love dreamweaver for building web pages and have used it for years with a PC.  I recently switched from a PC to a MAC but I find that when I open the Dreamweaver app for the first time I get a prompt that says something like "You must download Java SE 6 runtime, would you like to install it now?"   I click yes, and the download fails.  I called Apple about it, they said the software resides on Oracle's Java web site, and its out of their control.  I go to the Oracle Java web site it says "Apple supplies their version of Java SE 6 runtime and there's no way to download it from the Java.com site.  All this means is that YOUR software does not work on my MAC because these two companies can't agree on who suppies this software.

What I need to know is HOW DO I GET DREAMWEAVER TO WORK?  How do I get around this crazy ass catch 22 situation?  And why doesn't your software recognize Java SE 7 runtime?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Dec 08, 2012 Dec 08, 2012

Found it!!!!!!

Download the file and install. It installs Java SE 6 update 11 (version 1.6.0_37).

Dreamweaver fires right up! Safari quits complaining as well.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572

I'm going to see if I'm successfull with updating to Java SE 7 now that I found six.

Should this test fail, I found this link to dig myself back out of it: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5559?viewlocale=en_US.

UPDATE: Installed Java SE 7 udpate 9 and it worked. The Java Preferences App, under Utilities, sh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oracle's website has the download:

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Right under the Windows download.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That just points me to a page that says they don't carry Java 6 SE run time anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2012 Dec 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That page works for me.  Downloads a DMG file.  It's Java 7 and works fine.  I'm using it with DW CS6.  I don't think you can install multiple java runtimes.  If this isn't working, can you try running DW in another user profile on your Mac and confirm this is not a corrupted user account?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm. Do you have Mountain Lion installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for a point of inquiry, what it it that Dreamweaver needs Java Runtime Environment for?

And martiantime, it's not MAC, which means Media Access Control address, which is common to Macintosh computers as well as PCs, it's a Mac or Macintosh.

Apple quit supplying Java last October after security breaches of OS X caused problems.

If Dreamweaver does require Java, then you should take these steps to secure your Mac, except you may need to enable Java as long as it doesn't come from the Internet. You would certainly want to uncheck the box next to “Enable applet plug-in and Web Start applications”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If we didn't have Java then we wouldn't have all the java errors from the infamous KB article that's always posted: http://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/troubleshoot-javascript-errors-dreamweaver-cs4.html .  Oh wait, that would be a good thing to get rid of java wouldn't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A number of desktop apps use Java in their IDE so you have to get it and update it fairly regularly.

I don't know why newer Mac OS doesn't ship with it.  Maybe an oversight on Apple's part?

Nancy O.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I linked an article in my reply, Nancy. It caused a really serious vulnerability in the seldom-cracked OS X. Made headlines because it's malware that works on Macintosh (as well as Windows with the Java runtime). Malware that hits Macs is so rare that it does make headlines. Malware on Windows doesn't.

-Mark

---

When a Library expels a book of mine and leaves an unexpurgated Bible lying around where unprotected youth and age can get hold of it, the deep unconscious irony of it delights me and doesn’t anger me.

-Mark Twain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If only your pattern recognition skills was as rapid as your semantic parsing of my uppercase spelling error.  I would think context of Apple would be obvious that I was not speaking of ethernet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the same boat with you. I recently used Time Machine to backup my profile and then wiped my entire drive and installed Mountain Lion. After importing all of my data with the Migration Assitant, Dreamweaver will NOT open.

Screen Shot 2012-12-08 at 3.12.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-12-08 at 3.12.16 PM.png

SnakEyez02, Oracle's website does NOT have the dowload. The link you posted is to version 7. We've been down this road already. Martiantime is correct, neither Apple nor Oracle are providing Java SE 6, but Dreamweaver is crying to have it installed.

So, Adobe, how do we get out of the hole that we did not dig?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried to uninstall and reinstall using the Cloud, but I still get the same message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found it!!!!!!

Download the file and install. It installs Java SE 6 update 11 (version 1.6.0_37).

Dreamweaver fires right up! Safari quits complaining as well.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572

I'm going to see if I'm successfull with updating to Java SE 7 now that I found six.

Should this test fail, I found this link to dig myself back out of it: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5559?viewlocale=en_US.

UPDATE: Installed Java SE 7 udpate 9 and it worked. The Java Preferences App, under Utilities, shows that SE 6 is still installed. So, I'm thinking that this version is used to run locally on the system. 

I followed MHOLLIS55's suggestion and secured my Mac as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I just opened Adobe Illustrator for the first time on MAC and it also wanted Java 6 SE runtime, and this time it downloads its! Something has changed on Apple or Oracle's web site!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2013 Feb 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just switched from PC to iMac and got the Dreamweaver/Illustrator java runtime problem. As soon as I try to open Dreamweaver it asks for =java runtime which it then can;t download. Got brand new iMac with Mountain Lion updated today.

I've read this thread and visited the recomended page (http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp) and downloaded & installed. I've got a java icon in my system preferences which tells me I've got Java Standard Edition v7 update 15). In the java tab of the control panel it tells me the runtime version is enabled.

BUT

1) Dreamweaver still won't start

2) I get same message from java preferences in Utilities

Suggestions please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2013 Feb 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies

I posted before I noticed the post by 12.numeroeins.

Installing java from http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572 fixed Dreamweaver.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

The latest version of Dreamweaver CC 2014 is now available for download. In this release we have delayed the API call to the Java runtime, until you log into PhoneGap build.

(PGB is available as an extension in DW CC 2014. For more see this: Business Catalyst & PhoneGap Build Functionalitiy in Dreamweaver CC 2014 are now available as an Ext...).

What this means for you is: No irritating prompts to download Java SE 6 runtime, on launching DW.

Kb article link: Prompted to install Java SE 6 Runtime | Mac OS 10.9

Download DW CC 2014 from https://creative.adobe.com/ or directly through the Creative Cloud desktop app.

We’re excited to hear back from you. Please share your feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 21, 2014 Oct 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My creative Cloud app says that my Dreamweaver version is up to date yet i still get this annoying error. I really do not want to install Java if I don't have to. What do i do now?

TinyGrab - Simple. Screenshot. Sharing.

Many thanks,

Houston

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 21, 2014 Oct 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh, i see. There is a difference between Dreamweaver CC and Dreamweaver CC (2014). Installed latest version, all good now.  My bad.

Many thanks,

Houston

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines