Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to embed YouTube into Captivate slide

New Here ,
Oct 09, 2012 Oct 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to embed a YouTube video into a Captivate slide? From what I have seen online there only seems to be a few 3rd party options via widgets and no real native way of simply embedding a video on a slide.

A workaround would be to directly embed the video footage but this would mean a much larger initial download as opposed to a small inital download accompanied by a video stream later on in the presentation.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Regards,
Tim W

TOPICS
Audio and video

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Welcome to Adobe Forums.

Which version of Adobe Captivate are you using ?

You already mentioned all the possible way for embedding YouTume in a Captivate Slide, let me check with the concerned Team of Adobe Captivate for any other way.

Thanks,

Vikram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vikram,

We are using Captivate 6 (64 bit) which is the latest version.

It seems strange to me if this option isn't available natively as it is such a basic functionality that should be a standard as it is in other eLearning suites such as iSpring Presenter.

Regards,
Tim W

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2012 Nov 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vikram,

We are also using Captivate 6 and are very interested in this functionality as well. I found a 3rd party plugin for doing this in Captivate 5 but nothing for 6.

Do you have an update from the team?

Thanks,

Jennifer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 27, 2012 Nov 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also like to know the answer to this. Embedding a video from YouTube or a similar service seems mile such a basic function. If C6 cannot do it, is this feature likely to be included in a future release?

I did find that a 3rd party developer with a YouTube widget who said they would be updating widgets to C6, but that was back in July, and the devloper has posted nothing since then:

http://blog.flash-factor.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 10, 2012 Dec 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

They know about that .swf but we don't have any solution right now.

Thanks,

Vikram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2015 Jan 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there presently any way to embed a NON-YouTube video into Captivate? I am using Captivate 8. We have a streaming-video server on campus and I would like to embed these into our Captivate module. Just putting the embed code into the Web object doesn't seem to work.

Failing that, I can either embed the actual videos or use the rtmp address. Both of these methods work, but in the former case, it adds significantly to download time, and in both cases, the video shows up on the slide without any controls. I could add controls to the entire slide, but we really don't want it for the non-video slides. It's unacceptable to give the students video to watch without any way to pause, go back, etc.

Can you please advise me as to which method would work best for me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Yes, you got it right, only embedding the video or using RTMP address (For Streaming video) will work.

One you have added your video, you may change the skin (Using Properties inspector)

Untitled4.png

Thanks,

Vikram Gaur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will captivate 8 stream videos from amazon cloudfront?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or from Dropbox?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Adobe Captivate 8 stream videos deployed on a Web Server, Adobe Media Streaming Service or a Flash Media Server.

Thanks,

Vikram Gaur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are still investigating. Our first attempts failed, apparently due to issues related to this:

Workaround for video streaming issues in Captivate « Rapid eLearning | Adobe Captivate Blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our URI works fine if I use Multi-Slide sync video but not if I use an Event Video. However, a multi-slide sync video doesn't allow me to add a controller, and in any case I understood this to be an event video. But even with the address changes related to the issue in the blog, the video still isn't loading using the Event Video settings. The progress animation spins, but nothing ever loads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2013 Mar 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been any progress on this as yet.

We have captivate 6 and I think that this really needs to be added to captivate. Is there a way to do it in presenter 8 instead?

Ta

Christi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 14, 2013 Mar 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Christi

I just noticed that 2 days ago, CPGURU posted a new YouTube Embed widget that can handle more than one per project!
I haven't used this version, but it would be worth checking out.

http://www.cpguru.com/youtube-widget-for-adobe-captivate/

Thanks

John Daigle

Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor

Evergreen, Colorado

www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2013 Mar 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks heaps John

Will check it out and post results

Christi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2014 Mar 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, that widget costs a fair chunk of change.

May I add my voice to the many above that this should be a standard feature in Captivate!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Adobe heard you Cris.

Captivate 7 has a Youtube widget (called interaction here).

Sreekanth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, $35 isn't much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 24, 2014 Jul 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it absolutely is "much". $1 is too much. I have spent enough on Captivate 8. I refuse to be nickle and dimed for functionality which one should logically assume is standard in such a package. This is ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate 8 also has the YouTube widget/ interaction by default. You don't need to buy any 3rd party widget unless you are looking for some specific functionality which the default interaction doesn't have.

Sreekanth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I insert the URL from youtube. It doesn't work.  I even watched the Adobe youtube video explaining how, and I was doing it right... of course, since the process is quite simple. It says the path is invalid. Its a simple youtube URL. There does not seem to be a youtube specific widget, like you are suggesting. Please forgive my frustration morphing into outrage, but this is equivalent to there being no handle on a door, and being told there is. Unless the specific functionality of 'play the video' is considered special, then we are being given the run around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a specific YouTube widget. I guess you are looking in the wrong place. Unfortunately, my CP8 trial has expired. But if I remember right, it is under the Interactions button. Once you click that, you should see a panel like this, from where you can select the YouTube widget.

CP7 Interactions Panel.jpg

As for link not working, make sure that:

1. You select the address from Web Address of your browser and not any short URLs you get when you click the video's Share button.
  2. Test the project from a web server or SCORM Cloud.

Sreekanth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that did the trick! Sreekanth_S - Thank you very much for responding so eloquently to my short tempered comments. I hope this helps someone else who is having the same frustration. I had a client waiting for confirmation of this functionality.

OK! so, for the record:

interactions button / learning interactions - then scroll down to find the youtube specific widget. For the benefit of others, it will not work using the video menu selection, then selecting import video. (of course not, why would it? rolls eyes)

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please do post back to let the rest of us know if it actually works for you in the end.

If I sound skeptical, I am. I tried using this widget a few months back and never could figure out how to make the silly thing actually work. Of course, that was using Captivate 7. Maybe it has improved in Captivate 8.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources