Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Page break in RH10

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2012 Dec 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am trying to insert page break to some of my topics so they would start to a new page in printed documentation, but page break doesn't seem to work. I wonder why and what's the workaround to solve this issue, if any?

For example:

Within a topic, I have:

Heading 1

Heading 2

I wanted Heading 2 to be in the next page in printed documentation. Is that possible at all?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 28, 2012 Dec 28, 2012

This was a variation on a method that I sent tanborj and it was later found not to be entirely satisfactory. I have since sent this solution that provides an easy alternative to the method in RoboHelp which has a bug in it.

Open your CSS in a text editor. Add this

.break { page-break-before: always; }

(You can change the name of the first instance of "break" to anything you like but no spaces).

1. In a topic go to what you want to be on the next page.
  2. Put the cursor at the beginning of that line.
  3. In

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2012 Dec 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it is covered in RoboHelp Tour for RoboHelp 9 on my site.

It was designed for printing topics in online help rather than printed docs. Think it does work there also though.

Check my site. Post back if not resolved. I will look in morning. Late here now.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2012 Dec 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter.

It works but there's a little adjustment  on the next page when I insert a page break.

For example, if I have two headings:

About page break <page break>

Using page break

The Using page break heading will go to the next page, but it would go a little lower in the  page instead going on top of the page. See screenshot below. pagebreak.jpg

If I insert a page break like this:

About page break

<page break>Using page break

...it just wouldn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a macro on my site that was designed for a similar problem.

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/word/word_macros.htm

Not sure if it will help here but if it doesn't you can close the document without saving.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2012 Dec 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recreate that in a small demo project. See the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2012 Dec 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Project sent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2012 Dec 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found a solution (and so simple, really. Why I haven’t thought of that at the very beginning). Good grief!

When page break is inserted at the end of the paragraph like this:

p1.jpg

The html code will be like this:

p2.jpg

What I did is I remove the page break tag  and put it at the end of the paragraph like this:

p3.jpg

…and that solves the problem.

it's just a painful solution though especially when you have hundreds of pages that you have to do it manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2012 Dec 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was a variation on a method that I sent tanborj and it was later found not to be entirely satisfactory. I have since sent this solution that provides an easy alternative to the method in RoboHelp which has a bug in it.

Open your CSS in a text editor. Add this

.break { page-break-before: always; }

(You can change the name of the first instance of "break" to anything you like but no spaces).

1. In a topic go to what you want to be on the next page.
  2. Put the cursor at the beginning of that line.
  3. In the style dropdown you will find "break" or whatever you called it.
  4. Select that.
  5. You will see the page break symbol above the line.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2013 Jan 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It works both for both printed and online help. When I say online help, that means that the appearance on online help is perfectly fine. This solves the issue. Thank you so much, Peter. You're really helpful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp