Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop CS6 suddenly a trial version of Extended.

Dec 13, 2012 7:55 AM

Launched Photoshop CS6 this morning, and suddenly it is a trial version of CS6 Extended. I did not ask for this, I do not want this, I bought, paid for and registered the regular version on the day it was released. I am not renting the software via that stupid creative clod thing, I bought it the regular way. What is happening here? Is this going to happen every time they release a minor update? How do I make it go away?

Replies 1 2 3 ... 16 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 13, 2012 7:58 AM   in reply to oldbalddude

Can you enter your serial number for the "trial".  Serial number determines which version is active.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 10:47 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Thanks, Curt Y.  I had the same issue -- Photoshop CS6 turned into a trial version of CS6 Extended after the 13.0.2 upgrade.  I managed to dig up my serial number, entered it in the Adobe Manager app (I think that's what it was called) that popped up whenever I launched Photoshop, and now I seem to be back to my registered version of Photoshop CS6.  I think Adobe needs to be more careful with their upgrades.  Running an update (especially one that's pushed out by the adobe updater) shouldn't silently unregister your software.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 11:49 AM   in reply to oldbalddude

Had the same problem today (12/13/12) with my Adobe Updater. All of my CS6 suite serial numbers were wiped out.

Luckily I'm organized enough to keep those serial numbers on-hand and was back up and running quickly.

For those users who don't have serial numbers handy, this is a big problem, and it's apparently a bug in the Adobe Updater program that needs to get fixed ASAP.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 12:11 PM   in reply to Gleber909

That's why it's important to register. All your serial numbers are under your account in case that info is lost on your side.

Log-in and there they are!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 12:25 PM   in reply to gener7

gener7 - Agreed, but honestly the only thing I ever use my Adobe Account for is upgrades & trial registrations. And posting on this forum.

Back to the point: AdobeUpdater shouldn't be wiping out information stored on local user hard drives, especially important stuff like serial numbers for expensive suites of software.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 1:03 PM   in reply to Gleber909

Right. The updater should not be wiping serial numbers. In my case for Photoshop, Illustrator and Acrobat...it has not...yet. So I don't know what's up with that.

Gene

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 1:48 PM   in reply to gener7

Same problem here. It seems it is pushing registered users to subscribe to Cloud membership.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 11:30 PM   in reply to Ralph Eisenberg

I had the same problem, and was able to fix it (having done a Google search to find these forum threads).

I don't care how much they wish to push us to purchase the Cloud membership - I'm not buying. And as a paying customer, I resent deeply that Adobe sees fit to inconvenience me (I panicked when I saw the trial version dialog) to try and push software in front of my face. If I wanted it, I'd buy it. I don't so please stop the high pressure sales tactics

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 12:07 AM   in reply to Jo Ann Snover

My thoughts exactly.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 12:41 AM   in reply to oldbalddude

I had the same problem, which I resolved by reentering my serial number following Curt Y’s instructions (except I entered the serial number of my fully paid version of Photoshop CS6, not any ‘trial’).

It’s truly bizarre that an update would cause this problem, since I’ve never even run a trial version of Photoshop CS6 much less anything else, and I’ve never expressed any interest in Photoshop CS6 Extended or that infernal Creative Cloud.

Not feeling too good about Adobe right now, I can tell you.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 1:34 AM   in reply to SamuelDilworth

I suspecct that you are not alone in this!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 6:07 AM   in reply to oldbalddude

Mine suddenly reverted into a trial version today on launch.  I closed it down and now it will not relaunch, just application not responding. 

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 6:42 AM   in reply to Trophy92

Trophy92, I'm on OS X and when I was experiencing my problem, all of my Adobe Suite programs would launch, then auto-quit and bring up the Adobe Registration app, as if I had just installed the trial versions of all of my software. (Which of course I own and have full serial #'s for.)

Finding and entering my serial number fixed the issue for good, looks like. (At least until there's another Adobe Update...)

I feel for all of those people who don't have their serial number ready at a moment's notice, though. I bet they'll be pissed.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 7:00 AM   in reply to oldbalddude

Luckily I had my serial number for the suite but could only get Indesign to launch.  Entered my serial number and it was accepted.  Rebooted computer and Photoshop launched, however I cannot deactivate it.  I launched Bridge OK and Synchronised my setting but when I launched Indesign again it asked for my serial number again which I entered.  But everything still sas that I cannot deactivate so must be in trial mode.  I have it installed on two machines so it looks as if it will not activate this installation. 

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 9:31 AM   in reply to oldbalddude

I had a similar irritating incident.

I got an update notice from Adobe regarding CS-the simpler and less-expensive version, and not CS6 Extended.

So I download the "update', only to find that it was an update for CS6 extended. Naturally, my CS6 stopped working

and I had to spend 10 minutes on a live chat line, because the phone line had a 30 minute wait.

I checked to see if my 30-day trial copy of CS6 Extended, which I got rid of on my computer, was still on my computer and it wasn't.

I complained that I should get a free version of CS6 extended for inconvenience of the incorrect

update advisory, but naturally nothjing was replied to on that. A few hours later, I got a Camera Raw update, and

started to worry whether this was a correct update or another CS6 extended update. That download worked fine!

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 14, 2012 9:38 AM   in reply to Stacey Bindman

Just for reference, there is one and only one set of code.  The Extended vs. Standard functionality is unlocked by the serial number and activation process. 

The trial version always exposes the Extended functionality.

So seeing Standard get switched to Extended coincident with the software returning to "trial" mode is completely expected.  Of course, what's not expected is the loss of the activation, unless you have changed something on your computer that's made the software believe you're running it on a different computer.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 9:44 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Hi Noel,

No, this is not the case, nor the answer.

Adobe erred, many people are having a similar "incident".

Adobe, or its' database should know what its' customers are buying, and avoid such "incidents"!

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 14, 2012 9:57 AM   in reply to Stacey Bindman

Perhaps you misunderstood me...  I'm not trying to justify what's happened, assuming you didn't cause it by changing hardware. 

I agree that it's absolutely unacceptable that activated software should just deactivate itself for no good reason.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 10:33 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

No change in hardware here. I believe that this was intentional because of the ambiguity of the dialogue box that appeared unbidden via AUM inviting the "new user " to either begin a trial subscription to the Cloud service or to enter the licence details presumably already having contracted for the cloud subscription and PS CS6 Extended.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 10:37 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Hi Noel,

Thanks,

Stacey

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 11:08 PM   in reply to Stacey Bindman

Hi all

The same thing happened to me tonite......updated my copy of PS CS6 extended, then the "trial Version" balloon popped up asking for my serial number. I entered my serial number from my original purchase, and it worked. BUT I noticed that after opening CS6 a few times, the whole thing happens again......so I again re-enter my now memorized seial number, it works for a few times, and the same thing happens again. I updated the Adobe Manager, same thing keeps happening. I am running PS CS6Extended on a Mac with Snow Leopard. No hardware issues, rock stable until I made thge mistake of "updating" my software. Is there anything I can do? Any suggestions at all? Thanks!

Boeingdriver

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2012 2:06 AM   in reply to boeingdriver01

i got my CD and installed CS6 again ... after that I made the Update to 13.01

Now it runs

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2012 11:54 AM   in reply to Darth Peder

Darth

I reinstalled too, and so far so good.....I noticed you updated to13.01......I take it you deliberately avoided the newest version...correct? And issues so far?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2012 2:07 PM   in reply to oldbalddude

Just to note the same thing has happened to me after updating. Running PSCS6 on a Mac with OS Lion. I have never trialled the extended version and have been upgrading almost every version since the last century. Definitely a bug related to the update. I have wasted several hours tonight uninstalling and reinstalling. Hope somebody acknowledges and fixes soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2012 3:20 PM   in reply to ClintGryke

I noticed that since I am using LR4.3 and PS CS6 13.01, every time I move from LR to PS it asks me if I want to use LR to render the file or if I want to just open it. I assume one would want to render with LR......does anyone know for sure ?

Also, has anyone who has this problem and fixed it with a reinstall dared to upgrade to 13.02 , I am worried about the exact same problem just happening again.....any thoughts?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2012 4:07 PM   in reply to boeingdriver01

Well, I'll say that the issue has not re-occurred for me. I'm running the CS6 suite, I have one serial number for everything.

After upgrading on Thursday 12/13 every single one of my Adobe products were "de-registered." As in, all of them reverted to trial mode.

When I rustled up the serial number and entered it when asked to do so, things reverted to "working fine" and I have not had to re-enter any serial numbers again.

I'm not using any of these "creative cloud" services and after this little snafu I'm going to be a little gunshy for subscribing to them.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2012 4:38 PM   in reply to oldbalddude

I had the same issue with Photoshop reverting to the trial version after running the latest update. I don't even want the extended version. Entering my serial number and relaunching resolved the issue, but it messed up the activation for several plug ins. grrrr!

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 15, 2012 4:53 PM   in reply to tedwca2

I kind of doubt that Photoshop's activation issue messed up the activation of plug-ins.

But it's possible the change of Photoshop versions did.

What plug-ins are they?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2012 12:47 AM   in reply to boeingdriver01

boeingdriver01 wrote:

I noticed that since I am using LR4.3 and PS CS6 13.01, every time I move from LR to PS it asks me if I want to use LR to render the file or if I want to just open it. I assume one would want to render with LR......does anyone know for sure ?

Also, has anyone who has this problem and fixed it with a reinstall dared to upgrade to 13.02 , I am worried about the exact same problem just happening again.....any thoughts?

I reinstalled and re-did the update to 13.02 after messing about with individual updates and not getting Lightroom and Photoshop/ACR in sync. I couldn't open Nikon raw files from my D800 in Photoshop. I know where I went wrong now in that I didn't apply the May 29 ACR update but I'd already gotten fed up and applied the 13.02 update by the time I figured it.

So far so good for 12 hours but it took over 24 hours in the first place after I did the first update for the message about PS Extended to appear. So I'll reserve judgement a little longer.

The message you are getting is, I think, because your Lightroom 4.3 is not in sync with Photoshop 13.02 in terms of ACR. Not sure what the answer to your question is though.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2012 5:14 AM   in reply to ClintGryke

Sunday, December 16,2012 @ 7;45 a.m. EST

HelloEveryone,

Now I'm starting to get a bit more irritated.

As the famous NY Yankees catcher once said (No disrespect to you Yogi Berra) - "It's not over 'til it's over".

I've already posted here and several other palces with this problem!

I purchased a full-paid for or so I thought license from Adobe for a standalone CS6 Photoshop.

I went through previous problems, and now I have this one:

I'm just goint to let the screencaptures do the talking for me.

2012-12-16_07-35-49-PS-WHAT!.jpg

1. The latest notice -

You can try this product for 32767 days.

You can continue to use Adobe Photoshop CS6 after your trial period by purchasing the software.

2012-12-16_07-37-3-Adobe-WHAT 2.jpg

2012-12-16_07-39-27-Adobe-WHAT.jpg

3. I don't have the Photoshop Extended Trial. I downloaded the trial, then uninstalled it.

I can't find it anywhere onmy computer. I looked again, based on someone giving me

expert advise as to where to look, and where to do the uninstalling.

2012-12-16_07-40-4-Adobe-WHAT.jpg

2012-12-16_07-41-53-Adobe-WHAT.jpg

5. My Photoshop copy -paid in full - not licensed and not the Extended version.

2012-12-16_07-43-15-Adobe What.jpg

6. Screen-capture asking me to fill in my serial number

A few days ago, after speaking with an Adobe rep on Chat, I was advised to enter my        PS6 standalone serial number,and so I did this today.

2012-12-16_07-44-17-Adobe-WHAT-SN-Removed.jpg

7.I added my s/n  (most numbers removed to hide my s/n)

Photoshop now works.

The questions now are:

1. Exactly what did I pay for?

2. Where is the "contratc" from Adobe to show me that I did not pay for a full copy, but a     32767 day "trial" version (not that I'm goin to live that many years!).

3. How many times is this "irritation" going to continue to happen before some Adobe rep     helps here!

SB

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 16, 2012 6:27 AM   in reply to Stacey Bindman

Stacey, exactly how many times did you have to go through re-entering your serial number after having downloaded the 13.1 update before getting it to work?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2012 6:58 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Hi Noel,

This is my second re-entry of the serial number.

Stacey

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2012 7:02 AM   in reply to klauserator

This is exactly what happened to me. I ended up re-installing CS6. This seems to have made the problem go away.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2012 8:22 AM   in reply to boeingdriver01

I installed CS6 with my DVD .... without deinstalling or so. After that I loaded the 13.01 from Adobes WEB Site and installed too.

All my Problems are fixed (this "EXTENDED TRIAL" and a mistake in the naming of the Layer in the german language version)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2012 8:23 AM   in reply to Stacey Bindman

Stacey,

I experienced exactly the same thing.  After spending quite some time in "chat" with Adobe customer service, here is the response I received:

upgrade1.jpg

Sorry for the small print.  Basically, this nonsense is somehow embedded in the $199.00 download upgrade of CS6.  No mention of "Trial Version", or "CS6 - Extended" is mentioned when purchasing this download.  On my Adobe receipt it clearly states that I purchased for $199.00..... "Photoshop CS6 (mac, english).

After receiving the above email, it has happened again.  Again I had to plug in my serial number to get it from CS6 Extended Trial version, back to CS6.

I am personally furious with Adobe and consider this to be an insulting marketing scam.

If anyone is considering "upgrading" from CS5 to CS6....the $199.00 upgrade to CS6 is not what it pretends to be.  It is not an upgrade to CS6.  It is a trial version of CS6 extended that acts like CS6 for 30 days and then starts pestering the user to get CS6 Extended.

-Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2012 8:39 AM   in reply to dtspin3333

I had the same issue this morning. I popped in my serial number for CS6 and the window went away and now the ABOUT window shows up as CS6 -- not extended. What a pain.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2012 9:35 AM   in reply to dtspin3333

I really don't think this is a marketing scam. It has to be a bug in the updating software. If nothing else, the fact that it says "You can try this product for 32767 days" is to me clear evidence that it is a bug. That is the magic number for the number of bytes in an integer in many programming languages, more than most people will live and clearly a bug. Besides, I really doubt that Adobe would resort to such stupid marketing which does little more than really annoy people - I too was pretty mad yesterday at wasting several hours and being invaded by this nonsense.

Obviously the person who sent you the email above didn't understand the problem.

And my reinstall to 13.02 is still working as the standard version. Hopefully it will continue to do so.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2012 10:39 AM   in reply to ClintGryke

Well it's just happened to me again. I'm now going to uninstall and try to go back to version 13.01.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2012 10:48 AM   in reply to oldbalddude

Major marketing scam fom Adobe. WHAT SCUM. Not a bug, but a frustrating wat to get you to spend $29.00 a MONTH. Remove by going to Pref. and remove pop up.

Re enter serial number.

AMAZING  that Adobe of all companies would stoop this low. What not making ENOUGH money Adobe. Need to squeeze the rock a little more.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 ... 16 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (3)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points