• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does Framemaker 9 crash when I create a pdf?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2012 Dec 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Folks,

I get an error message and a file is created when I try to either create a PDF by 'saving as PDF' or printing. I attach the header of the log file that is created, it says to email this to an Adobe error email address. I don't know if these internal errors make any sense to you.

=== Header Begin ===

Internal Error: 9004, 6920492, 9676798, 0

FrameMaker 9.0.0 for Intel

Build: 9.0p237

Window System: MSWindows

Operating System: Windows NT 5.1 (major.minor.build: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3)

Generated on: 17 December 2012 11:16:16

To file: C:\Documents and Settings\nglynn\Application Data\Adobe\FrameMaker\9\FrameLog_12.12.17_11.16.16.txt

=== Header End ===

However, I MUST generate PDFs ASAP. Is there some solution or patch I can download that fixes this issue? I have, obviously, restarted my PC. I have been using Framemaker for 10 years now and have not seen this error before.

Regards,

Niall.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Niall,

Unfortutanetly the error codes are only decipherable by Adobe's engineers.

Are you using the PDF Creator add-on that came with FM or do you have a full version of Acrobat (if so, which one)?

Have you tested PDF creation from any other applicaion to see if it's an Acrobat issue?

Have tested other FM books/files?

Have you done an Acrobat repair (Help > Repair ...)?

Have you had any updates installed recently?

There was a MS security patch (KB2753842) released last week that has hosed support for OTF CFF & Type 1 PS fonts in many apps (see: http://www.thomasphinney.com/2012/12/windows-security-patch/ ). It doesn't seem to have affected my versions of FM on Win7, bu I see that you're on XP, so I can't say if there may be any issues with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can usually track the problem to a problemsome graphic or font. For most files, graphics are easiest to track down first and ones I have most of my problems with. On a copy of each file, remove a graphic, then try to print, rinse and repeat. If you want to make it easier to track down files and/or fonts, you can remove half the graphics, if that prints to pdf, then the problemsome graphic is in the half you removed. If not it might be in the half you didn't remove, rinse and repeat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2012 Dec 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Niall,

We've seen crashes in FM10 Save as PDF under Windows 7 due to a problem with an accessibility optimizer.  The workaround we use is to comment out that plugin in maker.ini as follows:

;FMPDFReflow=Standard, Post-process PDF for Reflow, fminit\fmpdfreflow.dll,all

Not your environment, I know, but it could be worth trying.

We've also seen problems in both FM9 and FM10 if the PDF Setup > Settings "Convert CYMK Colors to RGB" box is not checked.

I seem to recall too, an issue in which one of the Adobe shared font dictionaries got corrupted during an install of Acrobat, but I think in that case FM wouldn't even start.

Best of luck to you!

-Cory R. Carpenter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 18, 2012 Dec 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Cory,

The CMYK issues were fixed in the 10.0.2 patch for FM. However, if you're not creating CMYK output for print production, then you should make sure that the "Convert CMYK Colors to RGB" box IS checked.

You can also comment out the PDFSize option if you don't want FM to try to automatically optimize the size of the resulting PDFs. (You can control better at the Acrobat end anyway).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2012 Dec 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Arnis, I wasn't aware of that fix.

-C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 19, 2012 Dec 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Niall,

Try and do File-->Print and see if that works.

Harpreet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines