• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Thumbnails continually rebuilding

Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2012 Dec 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got an update for ACR (CS6) today and installed it. Suddenly, EVERY time I open Bridge or return to it from another page, it starts thumbnailing my images from scratch. We're talking hundreds of images in this folder. This is new. It did not do this yesterday. What is going on and how do I fix it.  If I leave bridge (even if it's still open) and I go back to Bridge, it starts doing the thumbnail extractions all over again and THEN starts on the full size extractions all over again. The result is that all of Photoshop has slowed to a crawl. This is the second time in a month that an update has caused new problems that did not exist before. It's beyond frustrating.

that's cute. I just sat through 10 minutes of full size extractions counting down. it got to zero and STARTED AGAIN. Okay, guys, what's going on? I have 50 gb of images from Asia I need to process. I truly don't have time for this. And the thumbnail extractions just started over again.

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 576 Replies 576
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm going to check on this for you. It sounds like something in the caching has become unhitched.

Which OS are you using? What version of Bridge do you have installed? Photoshop should be unaffected, except for potential system resource choking, but IIR, Bridge should be generating thumbnails on low priority threads.

Have you looked or posted in the Bridge forum?

regards,

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Windows 7, Photoshop CS6 and got today's update for ACR.   When I go to ACR, it says 7.3.  The version of bridge is 5.0.1.23x64

i haven't posted on any other forum. this has always been the most helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you think purging the cache wd help? shd i try that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just tried to purge the cache and the program froze. didn't seem to help anyway. i wonder if rebooting my computer wd make a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you be running low on disk space?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not a chance. the computer is brand new. i'm working on a solid state drive right now. yesterday, everything was okay. but when i turned on the computer today, there was an update for ACR. i installed it and the extraction problem began. i just tried rebooting my computer but it didn't help. i tried purging the cache but the program froze in the middle.

this is bizarre....it's only happening with RAW images. no problem with folders holding tifs or jpegs. what the heck is going on. I did NOT have this problem yesterday before the update.

the folder with the raw files has 619 images but only 90 keep cycling around and around and around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share one of the files? If so, I'll contact you directly. I'm also seeing if there's a quick way to get back to ACR 7.2 for you.

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the same about the 90 files you updated? Do they all use a particular lens profile or camera profile? Did your camera raw defaults change? How big is your cache set to be? Try changing it to something much larger.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

other than the fact that they are all raw files, nothing. it's the same camera...canon 7D but an assortment of lenses. hmmm...not sure what the cache is set at. meanwhile, i managed to successfully purge the cache on that one folder. it's grinding away right now doing it's extraction thing. but that's to be expected after you purge a cache. let's see if this helps.  i certainly don't want to try doing a system restore over this and i absolutely don't want to uninstall and reinstall photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 14, 2012 Dec 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A long shot  -- are you using Bridge monitor-size previews?  (Bridge preferences:  Edit > Preferences > Advanced)

I experienced a similar thumbnails and regenerating raw image file previews problem with an earlier acr 7 update.  Unchecking Generate Monitor-Size Previews in Bridge preferences eliminated the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sadly, 'generate monitor sized previews' is is not checked. i wish that had been the problem.  as i mentioned, this only happens with raw images, regardless of the camera or when they were shot, which version of photoshop (CS5 or CS6) they were processed with or the drive (I have two internal drives...one archival and one solid state.  when I click on the folder, the lst thing that happens is thumbnails preview. When that gets to zero, full size extractions start counting down. when that gets to zero, it starts again, tho with a smaller number (say it starts with 200 of the 619, the next time around it may be 50, then 25, then 15, then 5.  At this point, it seems to be done.....until I go to another window (say my email). then it starts again.

I so wish I had not done the update. But it's really not good if an update causes problems that didn't exist before. Steve suggested sending one of my RAW images. I will do this but I honestly don't think it's my images that are the problem. It's the update and some conflict with my computer. I also mentioned that windows picked yesterday for some massive update. I had checked to be alerted to updates but not have them happen automatically...somehow this has changed w/o my input and the windows update happened automatically. . I should have done a restore point, but I didn't..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see in the ACR 7.3 update fact sheet they worked with TIFF file code.  Do you have any layered TIFF's?  In Bridge it was a known problem that it just keeps rebuilding cache, but thought they fixed it.  Might try turning off that feature in Bridge under edit/camera raw preferences/automatically open TIFF with settings and see it if helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but it's not tiffs that are the problem.  i separate my images by folder...raws in one, tifs in another, jpegs in another. there is no problem with tifs or jpegs, only raw.  i don't save layered images of any sort, btw.  and if i turn off the bridge feature that automatically opens tiffs with settings what exactly does that do...what does not happen that usually happens if it's on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you changed the option it would mean you could not open a TIFF in camera raw.  But you could toggle it back on if needed.  Sounds like it is not your problem, but worth a try  at this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no...all that did was mess up the tifs. i've turned it back on. i will try to send one of my raw images to steve but i don't think that's the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

has anyone else reported a problem like mine...the rebuilding problem only with raw images? i will send a sample raw image but can't do it just yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a heck of a time trying to zip one of my raw files. it hardly compresses at all and i don't think i can email a 24mb file. any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'll contact you directly with some info. There's a few services Adobe provides (CCM free trial, Adobe SendNow) that I can point you to for future consideration.

regards,

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just sent one of my raw images. i zipped it, tho that hardly compressed it at all, then changed the .zip to .adobe. Let me know if it worked. Meanwhile, I have been talking bk and forth with someone else...curt Y.  he made a few suggestions that, unfortunately, didn't work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

was this for the zip file or something else?

meanwhile, i double checked. this only happens with raw files, regardless of the camera. But....Interestingly, I just opened a folder of raw files that had been worked on in CS5.  it thumbnailed and then stopped. in other words, it didn't continue rebuilding the cache.    i have another question...do you think building and exporting the cache (once a cs6 cache finishes revolving) might help?.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ycardozo wrote:

meanwhile, i double checked. this only happens with raw files, regardless of the camera. But....Interestingly, I just opened a folder of raw files that had been worked on in CS5.  it thumbnailed and then stopped. in other words, it didn't continue rebuilding the cache.    i have another question...do you think building and exporting the cache (once a cs6 cache finishes revolving) might help?.

Raw files in cs5 would have been processed by a different camera raw (6.x), and when opened in cs6 would not be rendered for Bridge display by acr 7's new pv2012 until changed.   When I was experiencing similar problems (raw files only), it appeared to me to be some interaction between Bridge and an acr 7 update (I think 7.1).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, i went back and checked and i was wrong. the files processed with cs5 have the same problem.  you had this problem with raw files? what was causing it? how did you fix it.  i'm happy (i guess) to see i'm not the only on earth who has had this problem. what exactly went wrong. it began for me with the latest raw update to 7.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so, is this then a bug that needs to be fixed in yet another update...hopefully quickly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I certainly advocate fixing the root cause of the problem, have you considered dropping back to an earlier version of Camera Raw?  If you don't have a camera whose support was just added, dropping back may work around the problem for you, as well as increasing your performance (Camera Raw 7.0, for example, is MUCH faster to open the files I've tried with it vs. all the later versions).

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines