Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hide_menu

New Here ,
Aug 15, 2012 Aug 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I want to hide the menu(TOC) for particular slides in my captivate 6 course.  I have tried using the variable cpCmndTOCVisible by setting its value to 0. But this approach is not working.

Can help me on this.

Regards,

Lokesh V

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2012 Aug 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right, I never could make it happen neither with that new system variable. Probably another bug...It is a Cmnd, should be active, not read-only. Perhaps someone from the Adobe Staff could explain how to handle it?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 24, 2012 Aug 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cpCmndTOCVisible //Shows or hides the TOC. Set the value to 1 to show the TOC. Set the value to 0 to hide the TOC

Any movement on this? I'm also trying to have the TOC close/disappear on certain slides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just checked again it is functional but only if the TOC is in Overlay mode. I was able to show the TOC on a slide, then some slides later to hide it again. Using a standard advanced action, because the With dropdown list in the simple Action accordion doesn't allow to choose cpCmndTOC.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No kidding! I'm trying and still unable to get it to work.

Can you see what am I doing wrong here?

advanced_action1.png

The TOC just stays open, both in the flash and HTML5 output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was completely unsuccessful with trying to get the cpCmndTOCVisible variable to work, and since it's only the HTML5 output I'm working with, I just called the following functions with javascript:

toc.tocAnimator.showTOC();

toc.tocAnimator.hideTOC();

So far, this works like a charm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 29, 2012 Aug 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you be more specific on where you added that js? did you add it in an advanced action or after publishing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 30, 2012 Aug 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I created an advanced action called something like openTOC and put in a javascript call to toc.tocAnimator.showTOC();

Create another action to close the toc and call toc.tocAnimator.hideTOC();

Keep in mind I've only tested this working in HTML5, I don't believe it will work in the flash output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2012 Dec 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just posting an update to this question.  If you are using Captivate 6 first make sure you have installed the patch which updates your Captivate 6 to version 6.0.1.240.

You can create a toggle button to open and close the TOC menu with this expression.

Expression  cpCmndTOCVisible = 1 - cpCmndTOCVisible

This will now work correctly in HTML5 and Flash.

Cheers,

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Richard, you should add that this only works for overlay TOC's. The system variable is brand new in Captivate 6 and is mentioned in my overview of system variables. As about the toggle suggestion, where on my blog did you find it? Has been so many times I suggested that expression.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, we should log an enhancement request for Cp7 that would mean this same variable (or perhaps a new one could get added as cpCmndSeparateTOCVisible) would also hide a separate TOC by perhaps making it disappear.  Why should it only work on an overlay TOC?  There will definitely be times that you might also want the TOC to disappear if you are using a separate TOC.  I know you can use a system variable to Lock the TOC, but in some cases just being able to see the TOC at all might be giving too much away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 10, 2016 Aug 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Rod.

Did Cp7 ever get a way to hide the TOC overlay or not on certain slides?

Thanks.

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the system variable cpCmndTOCVisible. When set to 0 it is invisible, when set to 1 it is visible. Attach a simple action to the On Enter event of the slides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This only works when the ToC is in overlay mode, is that correct? If the ToC is on the side (not over the top of the slide) this action does not affect the visibility of the ToC. I created an advanced action to hide the ToC and called it on enter. Is that different than a simple action? Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it would look weird if you suddenly did hide a separate TOC because there would be a big blank space (at least 250px wide).

A simple action can be chosen from the dropdown list in the Actions tab. There is no real need for an advanced action in this case, but you can use it as well. When you choose a simple action the playhead can automatically continue, when you use an advanced action it will not. If you need the playhead to continue you need to add the command Continue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2012 Dec 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Lilybiri,

I thought that because you had mentioned that in an earlier post that someone following the thread would have noticed it but adding a reminder would have been a good idea.  I have been searching a lot of Captivate forums recently so not sure where I found the original post about the toggle suggestion.

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2012 Dec 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Richard,

That suggestion is not only in several threads on the forum, but in a lot of my blog posts? First time I published it was here more than 2 yrs ago in one of my first articles:

http://lilybiri.posterous.com/to-blog-or-not-to-blog

More recent ones, with examples:

http://lilybiri.posterous.com/toggle-button      very detailed explanation and popular (number of hits)

http://lilybiri.posterous.com/toggle-shape-buttons    for Captivate 6 only

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 13, 2015 Aug 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those links for posterious.com are no longer active/work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blog was moved to http://blog.lilybiri.com since posterous just stopped their service quite a while ago.

It is impossible to find all the old blog links in this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2013 Jun 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Richard for sharing.

This worked with my project too.

Cheers!

Alvin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is an imperfect but perhaps workable solution:

You could create your own expand and collapse buttons and replace the in-built TOC icons with blank images so the only visible controls are the ones you've created. This way you can control what slides they appear on and which ones they don't.

Perhaps you can make it work for your own situation. I have a similar solution documented on one of my YouTube tutorials. 

Custom Table of Contents Expand and Collapse Icons

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources