• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

bookmarks, but not in the .pdf sense …

Advisor ,
Dec 18, 2012 Dec 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I'm working with music score source (for example) or ePub chapters in gVIM, I've become used to setting bookmarks so I can whiz up and down the file. Handy when (for example) I want to compare two variants of the same bar or phrase.  Today's tasks include bringing some order and clarity into an inherited document, where (for example) I'd like to be able to skip between the three widely separated references to the device power supply.

So the question (after all the brackets and examples) is, does FM have a secret weapon for this? I don't recall ever coming across one, but would welcome finding out I've just been inattentive or observant.

N

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not directly. However, there are two techniques that can be used to give you similar functionality.

Technique 1: three-step jig

1. Create a custom marker type (e.g. call it Bookmark).

2. Then, if that marker type (Bookmark) is the current selection in the Marker panel, all you have to do is highlight the text that you want to bookmark and use the "<esc> m k" shortcut to drop in a Bookmark marker with the selected text as content.

3.Use either the Find > "Marker of Type:" and/or create a LOM (list of markers) and use the hypertext links from the LOM to find the desired markers (that's where the marker content from step 2 comes in).

Technique 2: x-ref panel (faster and doesn't add anything to the document - my preference)

1. Open the Cross-Reference panel (<esc> s c or use the menus/panels, etc.)

2. Select the paratag for the heading, sub-title or whatever that contains the content that you want to go to.

3. Select the content (from the paratag content list on the right side of the panel) that you want to go to.

4. Click on the "Go to Source" button.

xref_goto_source.png

Voilà, you're there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The page numbers in "Paragraphs: Pages ##-##" above the scrolling target list box indicate the page number of the first and last item in the visible section of the list; the numbers change when the list is scrolled. It's so obvious that I overlooked it for years!

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Arnis Gubins wrote:

Not directly. However, there are two techniques that can be used to give you similar functionality.

Technique 1: three-step jig

1. Create a custom marker type (e.g. call it Bookmark).

2. Then, if that marker type (Bookmark) is the current selection in the Marker panel, all you have to do is highlight the text that you want to bookmark and use the "<esc> m k" shortcut to drop in a Bookmark marker with the selected text as content.

3.Use either the Find > "Marker of Type:" and/or create a LOM (list of markers) and use the hypertext links from the LOM to find the desired markers (that's where the marker content from step 2 comes in).

Technique 2: x-ref panel (faster and doesn't add anything to the document - my preference)

1. Open the Cross-Reference panel (<esc> s c or use the menus/panels, etc.)

2. Select the paratag for the heading, sub-title or whatever that contains the content that you want to go to.

3. Select the content (from the paratag content list on the right side of the panel) that you want to go to.

4. Click on the "Go to Source" button.

xref_goto_source.png

Voilà, you're there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks to both for this interesting input! Thoughtful use of the cross-reference panel may well do the trick, though given th current state of the content I'll have to put my own dummy content in. I must admit, Peter, I'd never consciously noticed those page numbers ;-}  For anyone out there minded to offer us a tiny FM enhancement, the gVIM keystrokes are esc, M, {char} to set marker {char} and '{char} to go there. The markers can also be used to delimit find/replace operations and for swift block deletion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines