• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing PDF file into CS6

Oct 17, 2012 Oct 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am using the trial version of CS6 to see if this software would work best for what our company would like to accomplish. I currently have a pdf file that contains a parts book I would like to convert into a digital publication but I can not seem to figure out how to do so. I am using this book as our test to see the ease of use and overall quality of the software. Any suggestions on how to import my file into CS6?

Thank you in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:

I have managed to get the pdf file imported in but it is only showing the first page and the file is 55 pages. Any idea how to show all 55 pages?

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the import multipage PDF script but honestly, there is no way you’re going to be able to evaluate the suitability of InDesign in 30 days with zero experience.

And you can’t just place a PDF and create an app out of it. Apple will reject it immediately.

I strongly suggest that you back up and give us thorough explanation of what you hope to accomplish here.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Bob.

Backround: Our company has a digial publication of our catalog which trigered an idea in my head to find a software that can create digital publishcations for other resoursces we use internally. The parts book as I referenced above is a tool our sales department uses on a day to day basis. The problem is we are always having to update the currently printed binder with our new products/ parts which costs quite a bit of money and becomes unmanagable seeing as we have remote locations. The thought was to take all the information from the parts binder and create a digial version that functions like the physical copy that can be hosted on our server for all of our sales staff to have access too. The end result is we are looking for a software that we can use to create digital copies of everything from Employee handbooks to Sales Binders.

Does that help? I need a software where we can not only design new pages but also import in pages that already exsist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What software created the parts manual to begin with? Are the original file(s) available?

take care, Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I originally created the parts book using Excel because it was the only program I had available to me at the time where I could make all the content look the way it needed to, have it organized the way I needed it to be and still be able to use photos/ drawings of the parts. I have since converted that into a pdf and can now convert that pdf into several other file types using abode acrobat x.

Yes, I have all the original files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The end result is we are looking for a software that we can use to create digital copies of everything from Employee handbooks to Sales Binders.

That is a fine idea.

Does that help? I need a software where we can not only design new pages but also import in pages that already exsist.

If the pages that already exist are only available to you in PDF format, then you have a rough slog ahead of you. I'd go so far as to call your project Nigh Impossible.  However, if you can get your hands on the source files from which those PDFs were generated, then it becomes Kinda Possible. So, like Mike, I'd want to ask first whether or not those source files were available to you, and what format they were made in.

I'd also like to repeat Bob's point that you cannot become enough of an expert in InDesign to know whether or not it would be a suitable product for your project in thirty days - unless you were already experienced in something like Quark or Ventura.

Lastly: what the heck do you mean by "digital publication"?  Do you just mean "a file"? I guess so, since you are comparing against printed binders. But it's hard to tell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I meant by digital publication is having a replica of a printed binder but as a digital copy with the digital perks.

I know that I am not going to become an expert in 30 days but I am the perfect tester for the software because I have not experience and we want to see how easy it is to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The learning curve for InDesign is awful steep. It is not easy to use competently.

If you are already a competent user of Office, then I wonder if you wouldn't be best served by just managing your documents in Office, creating PDFs from Word and Excel, adding some interactivity after the fact with Acrobat, et cetera. However, I can think of a number of "perks" (like tables of contents that are clickable hyperlinks) that are easy to create and manage in InDesign but hard to handle in Word (or impossible in Excel) that would make ID a good choice for you, if you were willing to try to scale that learning curve.

Can you tell us about some of the "perks" you want?

Also, to aid you in your evaluation of InDesign, I'd suggest trying to place your Excel files directly into InDesign, and not trying to do Excel -> PDF -> InDesign. If you check the "Import Options" button when placing your Excel file, you'll see some useful tools for getting Excel content into ID (like being able to import specific cell ranges). It will wind up inserting your Excel content in an InDesign table - a method that has limitations, but it would be useful for you to play around with it to get a feel for how ID handles tabular content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t mind taking the time to learn. I have downloaded other trail versions of publishing software (3D Issue and InHouse Publishing) the only issue is they do not allow you to design additional pages. They are more import what you have and publish it which would be fine but as I said there are always new things being added.

Perks: The page flip, of course. I love the table of contents link to go to specific pages within the document it makes things a lot easier than designing dividers/ tabs. Not sure if ID does this but I would like a search feature so that if you don’t know where to find something you can search keywords. add hyperlinks to websites inside pages.

The plan is to eventually use this software for more than just internal documents. We are in the process of bringing more of our products to the retail market and are growing our outside sales teams daily and want to get customers and our outside reps installation instructions, drawings, specs, engineering, anything they may need to any device they have on hand or at the job site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 18, 2012 Oct 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you simply want to import additional pages of a PDF into ID, when you Command+D (place), you need to select and option down there on teh left called "show import options." That allows you to choose which pages you want to import. The worst news is that you have to do it 55 times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2012 Oct 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DanielMontgomery wrote:

The worst news is that you have to do it 55 times.

Not at all. Using the standard Place dialog you have to click for each page you select, but if you want all the pages, the script Bob mentioned (which is installed with ID) will automate the task, and an even better script by Scott Zanelli can be found at InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Zanelli Releases MultiPageImporter for Importing both PDF and INDD .... Scots's script allows you pick a subrange of pages (though they need to be continuous), as wll as specify scaling, positioning, and rotation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 21, 2012 Oct 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, that's fantastic news! I did not know that! I should check the forums more often. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2012 Dec 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried installing this a number of times on my mac and, although it states its for both operating systems I can't install on Mac Osx 10.8.2. Any suggestions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I presume you mean Scott Zanelli's script. Do you know how to install scripts? Are you tring to install the script version for your version of ID (the wrong version ought to install, but probably will generate an error when you try to run it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how to install scripts. When I open it looks something like HTML page. Can you help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes I mean Scott Anellis script. I know its only for CS3 and I'm running CS6 but I figured I could import to CS3 then re-save in the latest version and make my changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are several links on that page for differnt versions of the script. The latest is the CS5 version, and it still works in CS6.

See How to install scripts in InDesign | InDesignSecrets for help with installing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm able to coply and place in the scripts folder but when I go to run the program the little blue wheel on bottom r. just keeps spinning. Spun for a good 2 hrs. last night before I finally gave up and turned it off. Its a jsx file which should work on my OS but does not seem to be the case.

Thanks anyway for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, as an FYI even though I downloaded the most recent version (for CS5) it still gave me error msg. "only works with CS3 or later". hmmmm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The download is a .zip file. Did you de-compress it before putting it intothe scripts panel folder?

I know it works -- I use it all the time...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2012 Dec 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The one I downloaded was actually a .jsx file, but a previous version was .zip so I threw it into the stuff it expander (free version) which gives the error "does not recognize .jsx". When open with AppleScript Editor I get the syntax error A "/ " cant go here.

Are you working on a PC platform? It seems as though this works much more seamlessly for PC users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on PC, but that shouldn't really matter. I share zipped files back and forth with mac users every day. And you don't need Stuffit to expand it -- Macs have a built-in expander for zip files. Just double click the zipped file. Possibly you actually decompressed it before you tried to put it into the Stuffit Exander. If the extension is .jsx it's already decompressed....

And .jsx is a javascript file, not applescript. Completely different language.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry  I meant to say ExtendScript Toolkit. I did not think decompression was the issue but you had suggested to decompress earlier in the thread. Still unclar as to why I can't utilize script. I placed in script folder and right clck to "view in finder" but this is all I can see. Not obvious but there is a blue circle that keeps spinning on bottom R. of left screen.Screen Shot 2012-12-19 at 4.52.03 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And that's because it can't find the objects referred to in the highlighted line. Where is the PDF coming from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines