Skip navigation
RichardWendon
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Edge Inspect not syncing on ios devices?

Dec 19, 2012 9:41 AM

Tags: #android #ios #connection #connecting #syncing #connectivity #adobe_edge_inspect #edge_inspect #refreshing

Hiya,

Just trialing Edge Inspect at work. It works excellently on my Galaxy SII, but it doesn't work so well on any ios devices we have in the office, including  ipads 1,2,3 and  iphones 4/4S/5 (running ios5 and 6). I can get the page to sync initially but it then refuses to follow my changes from Chrome forcing me to manually refresh the desktop client or the device... which makes the whole process a little frustrating.

I'm wondering if it is possibly network related, but if so... why does it work so well on an Android device? It doesnt matter what site i look at, so i know its not a matter of page load.

Any advice, further suggestions are welcome.

Cheers

R

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 19, 2012 3:32 PM   in reply to RichardWendon

Hi Richard,

I've seen one or two other reports of this problem. Please try removing the application from your device(s) that are not browsing in sync like they should. Then, reinstall the Edge Inspect iOS client from the App Store. Please report back on whether that fixed your problems.

We've been trying to reproduce this today, but it is working crorrectly for all of us on the engineering team.

Thanks,

Bruce

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2012 11:39 AM   in reply to RichardWendon

Hi Richard,

Out of curiosity, I would like to know if you used a free or paod account while you were seeing issues.

This extra information might help us in digging the issue further.

Thanks,

Archna

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2012 11:53 AM   in reply to RichardWendon

Hi Richard,

Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

Regards,

Archna

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 4:43 PM   in reply to RichardWendon

Hi Richard,

Really great app from Adobe! I'm impressed.

However, I'm having problems running the app on the iPhone 4 and 5. App loads up. Try to connect to my laptop. Get the Inspect interface but just a white screen. Open in Browser doesn't work. Refresh does nothing. Disconnecting and reconnecting from the master on the laptop/desktop doesn't seem to help either. These are fresh installs on 3 people's iphones. I'm using the paid version. Tried connecting manually using the IP address as well. No luck. Did have to do that for the NExus 7 and the Samsung Tab. Devices do show up in the Master dropdown.

No problems on the latest iPad Retina (4), iPad Mini, Nexus 7, Samsung Tab, iTouch, iPad 2, original Kindle Fire, Samsung Galaxy S2. Occassionally does take a little while to load but clears up when the pages are changed on the Master. This is testing a standard PHP driven site and not a web app.

thanks,

Mario

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 5:32 PM   in reply to mrnoble

Hi Mario,

1. To make sure I understand, you are connecting these devices to a server they are auto-discovering, right?
    2. You've got at least 8 other devices that you're not having any problems with?
    3. Do your iPhone 4 & 5 devices display any error when you try to connect?
    4. Are you sure your devices are all on the same network as your computer?
    5. Can you browse to a simple webpage like google.com and have the devices follow along, or do those devices not synch browse to ANY web pages?
    6. If it's only a specific web page, what's the URL of that page?
    7. Can you check your computer for any firewall software and make sure it's disabled?
    8. Can you try uninstalling from the iPhones, removing all the app data, and reinstalling?
    9. What version of iOS is running on each of those devices?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 7:45 AM   in reply to Mark Rausch

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the response! Sorry for the delayed reply. I was waiting to be able to be near the same people again with the various iPhones but I haven't been able to hook up with them at this time. Probably later next week.

See response to your questions below:

1. To make sure I understand, you are connecting these devices to a server they are auto-discovering, right?

Yes. Although, I had to manually put the IP into the older Kindle Fire and one of the other Android devices. I can't remember if it was the Galaxy Tab or Nexus 7 ( I believe it was the Nexus).

1. You've got at least 8 other devices that you're not having any problems with?

Yes.

1. Do your iPhone 4 & 5 devices display any error when you try to connect?

No errors

1. Are you sure your devices are all on the same network as your computer?

Yes. There are actually multiple networks. We tried switching to another network to no effect. This is after shutting down the app on Master and the slaved devices.

1. Can you browse to a simple webpage like google.com and have the devices follow along, or do those devices not synch browse to ANY web pages?

We didn't do the google test but we did go to another site. mrtestsite.com as well as azimba.com. Browsed multiple pages on each site.

1. If it's only a specific web page, what's the URL of that page?

See above

1. Can you check your computer for any firewall software and make sure it's disabled?

Didn't do that. Will try that again next time. Running it on the MacBook Air (10.7.5). Firewall is set to Limit Connections to Specific Devices and the EdgeInspect.applicaiton is set to Allow all Connections there.

1. Can you try uninstalling from the iPhones, removing all the app data, and reinstalling?

Did not do that. Will try. These were fresh installs from the app store.

1. What version of iOS is running on each of those devices?

Not sure. I'll check with them when I see them. Two of them are major tech heads so I'm pretty sure they're running the latest version of iOS for iPhone.

The irony of this is that I was going to be demoing the Inspect tool at an LA tech job fair sponsored by Adobe so it would be nice to resolve this issue.

Mario

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 9:07 AM   in reply to mrnoble

P.S. I actually thought about the network question and I'm going to check to make sure that they actually connected to the wifi network when testing as opposed to the telecom network like AT&T. They might have misunderstood when I told them connect to the same network even though I think they saw me setting it up... So the whole thing might be user error, which is typical. I'll let you know.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points