Just trialing Edge Inspect at work. It works excellently on my Galaxy SII, but it doesn't work so well on any ios devices we have in the office, including ipads 1,2,3 and iphones 4/4S/5 (running ios5 and 6). I can get the page to sync initially but it then refuses to follow my changes from Chrome forcing me to manually refresh the desktop client or the device... which makes the whole process a little frustrating.
I'm wondering if it is possibly network related, but if so... why does it work so well on an Android device? It doesnt matter what site i look at, so i know its not a matter of page load.
Any advice, further suggestions are welcome.
I've seen one or two other reports of this problem. Please try removing the application from your device(s) that are not browsing in sync like they should. Then, reinstall the Edge Inspect iOS client from the App Store. Please report back on whether that fixed your problems.
We've been trying to reproduce this today, but it is working crorrectly for all of us on the engineering team.
Uninstalled / Reinstalled it on the ios devices (iphone 5 / ipad 1 & 3, still got to try the iphone 4) and it appears to be working now... its weird as in two cases (iphone 5 / ipad 2) they were both fresh installs of the edge inspect app. I would say though that I am also in before work so the network isn't being utilised to any degree.
I'll report throughout the day and see if things change.
Update iPhone 4 is also working after reinstall - again though this was a fresh install yesterday.
Now more people in the office, edge inspect is taking approx 3 - 6 seconds to sync a page.
Out of curiosity, I would like to know if you used a free or paod account while you were seeing issues.
This extra information might help us in digging the issue further.
Really great app from Adobe! I'm impressed.
However, I'm having problems running the app on the iPhone 4 and 5. App loads up. Try to connect to my laptop. Get the Inspect interface but just a white screen. Open in Browser doesn't work. Refresh does nothing. Disconnecting and reconnecting from the master on the laptop/desktop doesn't seem to help either. These are fresh installs on 3 people's iphones. I'm using the paid version. Tried connecting manually using the IP address as well. No luck. Did have to do that for the NExus 7 and the Samsung Tab. Devices do show up in the Master dropdown.
No problems on the latest iPad Retina (4), iPad Mini, Nexus 7, Samsung Tab, iTouch, iPad 2, original Kindle Fire, Samsung Galaxy S2. Occassionally does take a little while to load but clears up when the pages are changed on the Master. This is testing a standard PHP driven site and not a web app.
Thanks for the response! Sorry for the delayed reply. I was waiting to be able to be near the same people again with the various iPhones but I haven't been able to hook up with them at this time. Probably later next week.
See response to your questions below:
Yes. Although, I had to manually put the IP into the older Kindle Fire and one of the other Android devices. I can't remember if it was the Galaxy Tab or Nexus 7 ( I believe it was the Nexus).
Yes. There are actually multiple networks. We tried switching to another network to no effect. This is after shutting down the app on Master and the slaved devices.
We didn't do the google test but we did go to another site. mrtestsite.com as well as azimba.com. Browsed multiple pages on each site.
Didn't do that. Will try that again next time. Running it on the MacBook Air (10.7.5). Firewall is set to Limit Connections to Specific Devices and the EdgeInspect.applicaiton is set to Allow all Connections there.
Did not do that. Will try. These were fresh installs from the app store.
Not sure. I'll check with them when I see them. Two of them are major tech heads so I'm pretty sure they're running the latest version of iOS for iPhone.
The irony of this is that I was going to be demoing the Inspect tool at an LA tech job fair sponsored by Adobe so it would be nice to resolve this issue.
P.S. I actually thought about the network question and I'm going to check to make sure that they actually connected to the wifi network when testing as opposed to the telecom network like AT&T. They might have misunderstood when I told them connect to the same network even though I think they saw me setting it up... So the whole thing might be user error, which is typical. I'll let you know.