Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS6, Windows 8 and crazy GPU behavoir

New Here ,
Oct 28, 2012 Oct 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!
I just installed windows 8 and i got a lot of problems with CS6 Extended (Design and web premium creative suite installed) and GPU use (i never had a problem under windows 7).

My sistem is updated and equipped with a I7, 8 GB RAM and a Radeon HD 5870 card and i'm working winth Canon EOS 1Dx and EOS 5D mkIII raw files (but the problems appear also with snall jpg)

When PS use the GPU acceleration the display becone crazy showing a lot of different things.

This is the first list of things appening:
A) very often (about 95% of times) when i use the crop tool the image start to flicker from visible to black ( http://www.asf-images.com/ps1.jpg ) so it is impossible to work; sometimes (50% of times) images become visible again moving the mouse to a different location and after moving again the mouse the images fade to black and so on... frustrating.

B) cropping become very slow

C) during crop images a big distorsion appear ( http://www.asf-images.com/ps2.jpg)

D) sometimes during crop or changing the GPU setting the border outside the image become filled of gray/white little square as a trasparent layer (http://www.asf-images.com/ps4.jpg)

E) after canceling the crop tool action (using the cancel button in the Option tool bar) the image fade to black (http://www.asf-images.com/ps5.jpg )

This appens also with blur tool, liquify and all that use the mercury engine.

Changing GPU drawing mode from normal to basic or advanced all works but after closing and reopening PS problems are still visible
Sometimes the graphic card GPU disapper (http://www.asf-images.com/ps3.jpg)

Pleae, Help!!!
Last: sorry for my english 🙂

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not alone.

Apparently the display drivers provided with the OS are insufficient to support Photoshop's GPU usage well enough.

Have you tried visiting the AMD web site, seeking out the latest Catalyst driver release for your hardware and OS, and downloading/installing it?

Unfortunately, this is one good reason among many that you really should avoid upgrading to a brand new operating system on the first day of its release.  I know this doesn't help you, Zottwalker, but this is written for those who haven't upgraded  yet.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But if everyone waited for the dust to clear, who would blaze the path through all the problems?

All the Win 8 users who change in 6 months will thank you, Zottwalker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm, maybe the manufacturers of the products ought to be the ones to "blaze through" the problems before the products are released.

Gee, what a concept - Microsoft, AMD, and Adobe all working together with the pre-release versions so that the released version actually works for users.

I believe that Chris Cox worked on trying to get AMD and Microsoft to include proper and working drivers for the Windows 8 release.  But apparently that input wasn't enough to get the job done, becuase in these modern times greedy businessmen always push to release software products before they're finished.  It can always be fixed later through the "cloud", right?  Sheesh.

But even beyond that, there has been an important shift:  Microsoft no longer considers it a high priority that you should actually be able to WORK with Windows.  Their focus has shifted from powering business to powering toys (consumer tablets, that sort of thing).  As such, they care most about the applications that they'll be selling in their shiny new App Store, and almost not at all whether you and your desktop applications work.  Thus the very basis for the philosophy "Microsoft released it, it must be worth having" is now suspect.

Some of that can be mitigated.  I've been running Windows 8 for a year now, and I've had my Windows 8 book done and on sale well before the public release.  Some folks have taken advantage of it and have had a much smoother experience, but I can't document around software that just doesn't work.

As it is, my best advice was and remains this:  Watch and wait while other poor users blaze through the problems.

I sound like a helluva skeptic, don't I?  But I'm really an early adopter technophile who has been around since before there ever was a Microsoft.  That should help you understand the weight of my statement above.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2012 Oct 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

Watch and wait while other poor users blaze through the problems.

Noel

You surprised me with the above statement.  I though you were a sadist and enjoyed the pain new OS and device driver inflect upon early adopters. You not warped after all.

One of the best thing about retirement is I'm no longer required to be the fist to test new releases of software.

Photoshop is about the only program I test new releases of.  For I always want what's new in ACR. I don't load the beta code for it can not be installed as standard Photoshop.  I don't feel the need to spend $300 for 3D support I have no need of it.

I never update my ATI drivers before I read your driver threads.

Thanks...

My laptop is about to die so Windows 8 may be in my future. Start testing more and report. I want some good reading before I commit.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJMack wrote:

You not warped after all.

Not quite sure how to take that. 

I enjoy scoping out new technology.  In fact, I have already tested Windows 8, mostly in virtual machines, but even on hardware.  In my case I tested on a workstation with a Radeon HD 5670 before I sold that machine.  It seemed to work, but I can't say I put much time at all into testing Photoshop on it.

I have been running Windows 8 in virtual machines since the day the first public preview was made available.

So I do like taking on the pain of a new OS release myself.  But as you say, I tend to post my findings here in hopes that I can save others some hassles.  In the case of display drivers, there's often not an easy way to roll back unless you really know the ins and outs of Windows.

One has to wonder why display driver writers don't do a better job of that, making it possible for users to install/uninstall versions at will.  Everybody does it!  Even gamers, to whom the hardware and software is targeted are continually trying different drivers to try to get the best looking blood spatter and highest frame rates.

But my particular recommendation here goes beyond just display drivers...  Windows 8 is the first release from Microsoft that actively takes a step DOWN in functionality.  Other than their new play-toy Metro interface, the desktop side of Windows 8 is LESS functional than Windows 7.  There's simply no compelling reason to upgrade!

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2012 Dec 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think there should be a way to recoup from Adobe for all the time wasted trying to activate, uninstall, reinstall, ad infinitum.  I am not an Adobe Employee.  It's not my job to get their product working properly.  And it's REALLY annoying to get the customer service emails "we think your problem is solved" when it is not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Noel, yes drivers uploaded and up-to-date.
Onestly speaking (and before becoming a journalist i studied and worked in IT field) this could happens and i could accept from a garage-band software house; not from billion dollars companies like M$ and Adobe; i pretend (not espect, pretend) that they test theyr product before starting to sell it.
And test in deep. My crefit card worked properly when i clicked on "Buy" button; i didn't paid half of money because something goes wrong 😉
I think that until we accept this saying only "yes, it always appens with new product" nothing will change.

My car worked from her first day why not my OS??? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have the same problem with HP Elitebook 8560W AMD

Bummer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2013 Jan 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to windows 8 and have the same problem like zottwalker and I installed all latest driver .. I have a Intel HD Graphics 3000 .. this really sucks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2013 Jan 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did downloaded the new version with the adobe downloader and it is not better ... it’s still the same

Sent from Windows Mail

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2012 Nov 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the exact same issue after uprgrading to WIN8 PRO so I've tested a couple of things like changing the Photoshop.exe to run in compatibility mode or to install the latest Catalyst suite (12.11 beta) but neither approach managed to resolve the problem. Anyway I've found a temporary work around: Go to EDIT > PREFERENCES > PERFORMANCE and uncheck the "USE GRAPHIC PROCESSOR" box - close Photoshop and restart it.

Works like charm here and hopefully on your side too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Works like a charm" usually means that something provides all the functionality.  With Use Graphics Processor unchecked you have disabled a number of features some would consider critical.  That may be a workaround to having a working GPU driver, but it's not going to be an acceptable fix for most folks.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Wally, unfortunately unchecking the use GPU box you disable all features that benefit of gpu acceleration and seems to me like "i feel pain in my left leg; ok, i'll cut my leg to avoid pain".
If in your new car the AC doesn't work and that vendor just tell you: simply, to avoid probles don't use your AC what do you think about? You could consider this answer the solution to the problem?
I tried a lot of programs and games to test my graphic card and i got problems only from creative suite; so  need to ask myself: where is the bug? In windows? In to the driver? In mercury???
I hope in q quick answer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is Adobe's temporary solution until they can work things out with AMD: http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/image-background-transparent-or-flickers.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestion Carl, but as i wrote in my first message this solution doesn't work; seems good just after the settings change; but once i close PS after reopening PS the problems is still present and live 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zottwalker, have you tried the ATI Catalyst 12.11 Beta 4 driver?  Just curious.

I put it in today (on my Windows 7 system) and I found it to solve several problems I was having with 12.10.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2012 Nov 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, problems are less frequents but still on. This in all 3 GPU modes from basic to advanced.

The curious thing is that frequency is erratic; i means that sometimes when i start to work with PS i notice no probles and i had no problems for all the session.

Closing and reopening PS flickering and all the rest of the dark band came out again. Frequency is not tied to gpu mode but is erratically connected to the work session

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2012 Nov 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried reinstalling with compatability mode set to windows 7?

Right click the installer setup.exe file

Go to properties

Go to compatibility

Select windows 7

Run the Setup.exe

Don't know whether this will help at all, but I am about to install windows 8 myself, would be very useful to know if this will help resolve/prevent any issues when i come to installing CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2012 Nov 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running CS5 with Windows 8 64bit and was having all the issues as the original poster. Tried updating drivers, GPU settings, etc with no luck. Changing to Win7 compatibility mode seems to have fixed the problems for now. Hope I can get through all the files I am wokring on now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2012 Nov 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks RGold1963 but unfortunately in my case this simply lower the frequency of problems but it doesn't remove it 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be under the impression that the frequency of problems is zero on some system with some driver... 

I'm not sure Photoshop is completely trouble-free on any system. 

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike, i tried all, reinstall or run in win7 mode but problems are still on; less evident but still alive! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zottwalker, My graphics processor was disabled by the latest display driver, this may be related to your problem . I searched and replaced it we an older driver, works fine now, hope this helps.

Carl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2012 Nov 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines