Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Checking Type of java classes created with Scala

New Here ,
Dec 16, 2012 Dec 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I've created a simple class in Scala and packed it into a .jar file. I have no problems loading it into ColdFusion and running its methods.

Here is a copy of cfdump of the created object:

object of example.HelloWorld
Class Nameexample.HelloWorld
MethodsMethodReturn Type
Country()example.HelloWorld$Country$
cn()example.HelloWorld$Country
countriesList()scala.collection.immutable.List
countriesMap()scala.collection.immutable.Map
getCountryByCode(java.lang.String)scala.Option
ja()example.HelloWorld$Country
ru()example.HelloWorld$Country
us()example.HelloWorld$Country

But I have problems with isInstanceOf function with this object. If I run:

HelloWorldApp = CreateObject("java","example.HelloWorld");

writeOutput(isInstanceOf(HelloWorldApp,"example.HelloWorld"));

I get false as a result, but it should be true, right? The class does get loaded properly by CreateObject function.

Is there a workaround? The cfdump tag somehow manages to get the proper type of the object which it displays in the Class Name field of the dump table.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2012 Dec 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let us verify. What does this tell you:

<cfoutput>#HelloWorldApp.getClass().getName()#</cfoutput>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2012 Dec 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry for late response. The result of that code is "example.HelloWorld", so yes, it does return the correct name of Scala type. I also tried this approach for scala.Option type and it seems to be working.

Though, for example, the return type of getCountryByCode(java.lang.String) function is defined as scala.Option, the actual result's type is either scala.Some ot scala.None$ (which of cause are subtypes of  scala.Option), which makes it possible to distinguish if the result of the computation was a fail or not.

Thank you for your help. It seems like I will have to use this approach for checking types.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 19, 2012 Dec 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am surprised that isInstanceOf misses the HelloWorldApp instance of "example.HelloWorld". That seems buggy to me. Does it do better with the default constructor? That is

HelloWorldApp = CreateObject("java","example.HelloWorld").init();

writeOutput(isInstanceOf(HelloWorldApp,"example.HelloWorld"));

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just given it a try but, unfourtunately adding init() had no effect. It still returns false. Will be happy to try other things if you have some to suggest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering whether it had something to do with the package. Is example a package name?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is how it is defined in my HelloWorld.scala

package example

class HelloWorld {

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wondered whether isInstanceOf expects just the class name, HelloWorld, and not the fully qualified name, example.HelloWorld. Will this work:

HelloWorldApp = CreateObject("java","example.HelloWorld");

writeOutput(isInstanceOf(HelloWorldApp,"HelloWorld"));

I have been looking for clues on how isInstanceOf handles types defined with package names. I found very little in ColdFusion's documentation. So, I am looking into Java's documentation on instanceOf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried just "HelloWorld" but that doesn't work either. If you have any suggestiongs on how I can try instanceOf I will do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2012 Dec 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not been looking for a way to do it with Java's instanceof operator. That would be running away. I have been looking at how instanceof is used with fully qualified names, hoping to learn something from there. 

However, I have only been able to confirm that your original code is correct, and should work! I am wondering whether it fails in your case because of the classpath.

What is the absolute path of the directory that contains 'example.HelloWorld'? Go to the ColdFusion administrator. Click on the button for information. Is the directory in the classpath?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2012 Dec 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The .jar with the class in question is in the same directory as the script and I am using CF10's functionality to dynamically load jars from arbitrary paths. Probably I should have mentioned it earlier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2012 Dec 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Moving on, two tests:

<p>

1st test: Case sensitivity<br>

<cfscript>

helloworldapp = createObject("java","example.HelloWorld");

writeOutput(isInstanceOf(helloworldapp,"example.HelloWorld"));

</cfscript>

</p>

<p>

2nd test: cfobject<br>

<cfobject action="create" name="helloworldapp" type="java" class="example.HelloWorld">

<cfoutput>#isInstanceOf(helloworldapp,"example.HelloWorld"))#</cfoutput>

</p>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1st test: Case sensitivity
  NO 

2nd test: cfobject
  NO 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For want of a better idea, jot down the absolute path of the directory that contains /example/HelloWorld.class. Add that path to your loadPaths attribute. Incidentally, how do your dynamic settings this.javaSettings look like?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Application.cfc

C:\ColdFusion10\cfusion\wwwroot\org\cfjava\Application.cfc

this.javaSettings.loadPaths = [ExpandPath('./jars')];

this.javaSettings.loadColdFusionClassPath = false;

this.javaSettings.reloadOnChange = true;

index.cfm

C:\ColdFusion10\cfusion\wwwroot\org\cfjava\index.cfm

The Jar file

C:\ColdFusion10\cfusion\wwwroot\org\cfjava\jars\cfjavatest.jar

jar's contents:

example\

HelloWorld.class

META-INF\

scala\

library.properties

If you wish, I can upload the jar somewhere. It is about 8M because it contains the entire Scala library though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2012 Dec 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thorough! Thanks.

The test I last suggested is therefore:

this.javaSettings.loadPaths = ['.\', '.\jars\','.\jars\cfjavatest.jar'];

That should cover them all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately the result is the same. It still gives false result. If you have other suggestions, I will be happy to try them. You know, Scala is the next Java, so I think this will be useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No! What's going on?

Ok, let's now test one which we know is a yes. 

myGateway = CreateObject("java","examples.JMS.JMSGateway");

writeOutput(isInstanceOf(myGateway,"examples.JMS.JMSGateway"));

If that gives a Yes, then the next test I would perform is a server restart(if that is possible). If it gives a No, then we know what we have in our hands.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That gave a YES (though to load this class I needed to comment out javaSettings in the Application.cfc because I had loadColdFusionClassPath set to false, and restart the server after that because changes to javaSettings in Application do not take effect unless I restart the server). So, as you know by now, I've restrted the server multiple times (local machine, Windows 7 32, ACF10 with the latest, 6th, update).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kirill_Grishin wrote:

That gave a YES

That's the gateway test, yes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the test for "examples.JMS.JMSGateway" gave a YES.

Trying to cal index.cfm from the same directory where the jar is located gave NO though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kirill_Grishin wrote:

Yes, the test for "examples.JMS.JMSGateway" gave a YES.

That's a relief. So there is still hope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An alternative test to the index.cfm relocation is to test by relocating cfjavatest.jar. Leave index.cfm in its original location. Return your Application.cfc to its original state. Then modify it as follows:

this.javaSettings.loadPaths = ['.\', '.\cfjavatest.jar'];

Move the file cfjavatest.jar one directory down to:

C:\ColdFusion10\cfusion\wwwroot\org\cfjava\cfjavatest.jar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2012 Dec 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for late reply!

Moving the .jar file to the same directory where index.cfm and Application.cfc are located did not have any effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2012 Dec 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you send me the JAR file? I have mailed you my e-mail address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation