• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Onion Skin in Adobe Photoshop CS6 Assistance

Explorer ,
Dec 31, 2012 Dec 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I found that photoshop has onion-skinning for animation in photoshop. The problem is, is that I don't know how to open it up it's greyed out when I open the timeline panel and when I switch to frame-by-frame animation its gone. I don't know how to enable it. Can someone assist?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Aug 19, 2014 Aug 19, 2014

Hi!
You must go to the top menu Window > Timeline (Timeline appears).
Then go to the top menu Layer > Video Layers > New Blank Video Layer > Go to the timeline's corner menu > Then Enable Onion Skins is ready to check

Best Regards,

Diogo Pessoa (PT)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jan 01, 2013 Jan 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works when you add a video layer.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 01, 2013 Jan 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, I have it open but i still don't understand how to use it. I'm trying to create an animation but there is no onionskin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2014 Aug 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!
You must go to the top menu Window > Timeline (Timeline appears).
Then go to the top menu Layer > Video Layers > New Blank Video Layer > Go to the timeline's corner menu > Then Enable Onion Skins is ready to check

Best Regards,

Diogo Pessoa (PT)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2015 Aug 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to tell Adobe just how poor the onion skinning in the video layers is. The worst written onion skinning I've ever seen or tried to work with. In the end I understood how it was supposed to work and it's just terrible. How could they do such a bad job is beyond me. Please do something about this. Even better contact me Adobe and I'll tell you what it should do and how it should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2015 Aug 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

p.s. I'm using the new CC version of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2016 Oct 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quickstart PhotoShop Animation Tutorial [Video Timeline Layers] - YouTube

Watch this video! The reason onion skinning feels like a pain is because we all assume we have to do new layers... .but as this video shows, you can just keep drawing on the "same" layer ... it's weird but neat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2017 Oct 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think he means how does he enable the onions skin whilst in frame by frame timeline.

Or at least that's what I want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2016 Mar 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone tried onion skinning with CC 2015? I'm having some problems finding the option...

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

elitedudman wrote:

Has anyone tried onion skinning with CC 2015? I'm having some problems finding the option...

Thanks!

It only works with a video timeline, and not a frame animation for some reason.  Which is bizarre! .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh I see. Yes, quite bizarre, as I think most animators prefer frame by frame method. Hopefully Adobe can see to this issue sometime.

Thanks Trevor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I am animating on frames. So it just prompts me to add more frames when I click on the onion skin icon. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2022 May 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I found that photoshop has onion-skinning for animation in photoshop. The problem is, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2022 May 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

MY photoshop has a problem,My Photoshop don't have new video layer. can someone help me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines