• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What happened to Find/Change Special Characters

Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2013 Jan 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a recent update from FrameMaker 9 to FrameMaker 11. I use many notations with non-breaking hyphens and non-breaking spaces. In version 9 I was able to use the hex codes in the Find/Change dialog box and find and replace those notations. Now in version 11, it does not find those characters. I end up finding more than I want.

For Example: I want to find

(E-Vote Sept. 12, 2008)

This text has a non-breaking hyphen and the spaces shown are non-breaking also. When I entered these characters into the document, I used "Esc hyphen h" key sequence for the hyphen and "Control+space" for the spaces.

When I enter "(E\x15Vote\x10Sept.\x1012,\x102008)" and press the Find button, FrameMaker converts the text to "(E\+Vote\s#Sept.\s#12,\s#2008)" and returns with a statement "Not Found." I get the same error if I copy the text and paste it into the Find/Change Dialog box. I have tried this with the "Consider Case," "Use Wildcards" and the "Whole Word" checks both off and on. I can't get it to find it.

Honestly, I never noticed if verstion 9 did the conversion, from \x15 to \+ and \x10 to \s#, in the Find/Change dialog box because it always found what I was looking for.

I hope someone can tell me how to fix this because this is a function that I use all the time in FrameMaker. I use non-breaking hyphens and spaces all over my documents.

I have also reported this as a bug because that is what if feels like to me. I did go out and updated my installation of FrameMaker, thinking that this may have been reported and fixed already.

One Sad FrameMaker User

Chris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Jan 02, 2013 Jan 02, 2013

I'm not sure this is what you're looking for, but you could;

Copy your 'E-Vote Sept. 12, 2008' text

Go to Find/Change

Select Text & Character Formats on Clipboard from the dropdown menu

Click Find.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,
Jan 02, 2013 Jan 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure this is what you're looking for, but you could;

Copy your 'E-Vote Sept. 12, 2008' text

Go to Find/Change

Select Text & Character Formats on Clipboard from the dropdown menu

Click Find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bowen192,

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much. I still want to know why I could use the dialog box codes in the Find/Change dialog box. I have been doing that for years with no problem Your solution does work though so I can use it as a work around.

thanks so much!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FM is just trying to substitute in the appropriate dialog box codes for the display and find.

The codes can be found here: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/using/WSd817046a44e105e21e63e3d11ab7f7862b-7fd5.html

The non-breaking hyphen is "\+" and a non-breaking space is "\ ".  You can also use the unicode values (\unnnn) to find these. A non-breaking space is 00A0 and the non-breaking hyphen is 2011.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arnis,

I have The special character codes. I have been using them for years. I find that I can use the \+ to find the non-breaking hyphen, but I can't figure out how to find the non-breaking space. I am working with the FrameMaker Engineering Team to see if they can re-create my error. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. As I said earlier, I have been doing this for a lot of years.

I love FrameMaker and I think it is the best software for handling large documentation. I am so bummed that this is giving me problems.

thanks for trying anyway.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 03, 2013 Jan 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

As I stated in my reply, to find a non-breaking space, use "\ " [that's a backslash and space] to find a non-breaking space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arnis,

Yes I did try that but I have not been able to get that to work for me. The engineers at Adobe are having the same problem with it. I can find all of the characters if I do the copy and then change the Find/Chane to "Text & Character Formats on Clipboard" so I can use that workaround for now.

I do so love this software when I am working on large documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

That's odd. It (dialog-box codes) works for me on my systems:

Find_hard_space.png

Using the dialog-box codes works perfectly. The unicode values for the non-breaking space (nbsp = \u00A0) and non-breaking hyphen (\u2011), however, aren't working. It looks like the wrong glyph is being substituted in both cases.

This is definiely a bug when doing a unicode-value search.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 04, 2013 Jan 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

I just noticed that you were using \x10 for the non-breaking space. That's actually the numeric space (\s# in the dialog-box codes). The non-breaking space in FM is \x11. See: http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/framemaker/Character_Sets.pdf on p.3 for the proper hexcodes.

Otherwise, as I mentioned in the previous reply, if I continue to use the dialogue box codes, I don't have any issues in FM11 finding the special symbols. Using the unicode values is a bit dodgy though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2013 Jan 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OMG,

You are absolutely correct. And I have the Character Sets document printed out and in front of me. Talk about not seeing the trees for the forest.

Thank you so much for seeing that.

I will always love FrameMaker and I have always found the answers I need on this Forum. I appreciate the fact that you stuck with this until you figured out what I was doing wrong.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines