Hello

How Can i import MKV in Premiere CS5.5?

Please help me

thank you so much

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 03, 2012 May 03, 2012

I never used Matroska myself because I only work with material from video cameras, but it is popular and there should be many options available to you, but:

SEVERE WARNING:  do not install something like K-Lite codec packs. That will generally require a complete reformat of your boot disk and a complete fresh install of OS and programs. A typical SNAFU (systems normal, all fouled up) situation.

Message was edited by: Jeff Bellune [for content]

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 03, 2012 May 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Convert to an editable format. Use Google to find a converter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Mr.Millaard

I think it will directly imported...

What is the best and fastest converter?

sorry, my english not good

Best wishes for you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never used Matroska myself because I only work with material from video cameras, but it is popular and there should be many options available to you, but:

SEVERE WARNING:  do not install something like K-Lite codec packs. That will generally require a complete reformat of your boot disk and a complete fresh install of OS and programs. A typical SNAFU (systems normal, all fouled up) situation.

Message was edited by: Jeff Bellune [for content]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heed Harm's severe warning. He doesn't overstate this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 04, 2012 May 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I don't use codec packs

I am looking for a converter...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

HandBrake

Free, fast and good.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply: Extract the essence media with this tool:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mkvextractgui-2/

You need to install previoulsy this:

http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/downloads.html#windows

Sometimes you must wrap to MP4 to import it

MKV are a container, like MOV or AVI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Sorry, I'm confused

MKVExtractGUI-2 isn't a converter?

i install this program What should I do now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, is a demultiplexator, it will extract the video, audio and subtitles (if any) tracks, without recompress it. So you retain the original quality 😉

But you need first to install MKVToolnix (that allow you to create MKVs from MP4, H264 and that)

Next, you import the audio and video tracks to Premiere 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2013 Jan 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to strongly disagree Harm Millaard's severe warning. I've used K-lite codec packs for years and never had any troubles. Of corse commercial software producers allways have warnings against freeware, they are making their money by selling programs and codecs. Its just nonsense to talk about boot disk reformatting and reinstalling OS. K-lite codec pack is very simple to install and uninstall if needed. It has nothing to do with boot sectors and can't harm any Windows system. I think that his warning is a tendentious attack against free open software developers, who are a thread to commercial companies.

Money talks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope, when you will be facing an issue of not working PrPro, AE or any other application caused by K-Lite interference in registry entries, fed up with cleaning registry manually and end up with reinstalling your OS and making a choice in favour of any modern media player - VLC, MPC Home Cinema, PotPlayer or whatever - which utilise their codec libraries  without interfering in registry, you won't hesitate to publicly apologise as well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use and recommend a lot of free Softwares, but ALWAYS try to avoid codec packs, because it fill the system with a lot of garbage, and some of them replace codecs that Premiere and other Softwares install.

In fact I have some problems installink K-Lite and some others, then Premiere cannot load certain video movies with codecs that K-Lite have replaced!!!. So beware with that!

Mi rule of thumb is to install ONLY the codecs that I need, and only these.

The vast majority of players come with internal decoders, so not need to install codecs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a couple of issues, with many CODEC "packs."

First, most will replace good, existing commercial CODEC's with ones that are hacked, or reverse-engineered. Some of those do not work, or do not work well. That is why Adobe "hides" its installed MainConcept CODEC's, by using a non-standard naming convention. However, as the CODEC packs also rewrite the Registry, the priority of the commercial CODEC's can be altered.

Next, many CODEC packs also load other components, besides just CODEC's. One of those is often FFDShow. That particular one can cause severe problems with Adobe programs. It can also be very tough to fully uninstall. I hear that many CODEC packs, that do install that, and other components, do a better job with the uninstall function, but with some older versions, FFDShow could not be fully uninstalled. That is what Harm was warning about - things might be better now, but the Adobe Premiere Forums are full of horror stories, especially related to FFDShow. Just do a Search in this, and the CS 4 & Earlier Forums for "FFDShow," and read.

I am with Fuzzy (Reply 15), on ONLY installing the specific CODEC's required, when they are required. I also try to go to the source, which might be free (like Lagarith, or UT Lossless), or commercial, such as MainConcept. I do use a few Open Source CODEC's, so it is not the "commercial" nature, that is the problem, but the exact CODEC's, themselves. I also do not want any program removing any of my CODEC's (many costing quite a bit of $), or altering their priority in the Registry. I hate spending a day in RegEdit, cleaning up a bunch of "stuff."

Good luck, and glad that K-Lite has performed for you. In enough cases, it has not, for others.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2013 Jan 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course you can have conflicts if you use many codecs from many sources. The same problem occurs with commercial and freeware codecs. Open freeware programs and codecs are usually easier to handle, because you can check what installed codecs are doing and get the  . Commercial program developers protect their own product from competition and give users minimal information of their valuable knowledge.

Difficulties in uninstalling codecs and drivers is typical with both freeware and commercial products. I just find it very unfair, that Mr Millaard especially mentioned K-lite codec packs which are the most reliable codecpacks I've ever used. Talking about need to format boot disk and OS reinstallation is just stupid intimidation that only shows that the writer has a poor knowledge about Windows file system, MBR and registry. If he has had such occasions, they have not been caused by K-lite packs, they do no changes to MBR.

Bill Hunt mentioned hacked codecs. Hacked products can cause every kind of problems as any viruses and malwares do. He also mentioned that many codec packs install other components. That's just not the case with K-lite. You can precisely define which components you install. If you do not know what to install, it's allways best to install nothing. That means allso, that to avoid conflicts you had to use only products from only one vendor, commercial or open society. Problems can occur even then as we all propably have seen.

I use K-lite mega pask for one and only one reason: I can't afford to pay thousand of € to buy all the codecs needed to open and edit all the dozens multimedia file types that, usually commercial, producers are pushing to market. There are no reasonable common standards in multimedia sector and very little hope thet there will ever be.

Yes K-lite has performed for me. In enough cases, it has done it for others also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just find it very unfair, that Mr Millaard especially mentioned K-lite codec packs which are the most reliable codecpacks I've ever used.

It is also the most notorious for causing problems with Adobe software.  Your experience seems to be the exception, not the norm.

There are no reasonable common standards in multimedia sector and very little hope thet there will ever be.

There are now and have been for a long time.  They're called DV, DVCPRO HD, HDV, XDCAM, AVCHD, etc.  These are all standardized formats that professionals use and which Premiere Pro works very well with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Judging on Harm this way shows the only thing: you, I'm afraid... um-m-m.. slightly overestimated your analytical skills.

The rest of your rant has nothing to do with reality. I wonder which codecs exactly 'pushed to market by commercial producers' you deadly need to open and edit footages are missing in Adobe Suite and thus you have to spend thousands of € on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well... there was a discussion in this forum some time ago. It was about "MPEG-2 codecs missing from Adobe Media Encoder CS6 installed with Creative Cloud Membership".  This topic seems to be ended now. Here is one comment from that debate:

"I found the solution from the lack of mpeg support. Now the CS6, imports, exports, have smart rendering working on exports, will gain the hability to export using the powerfull CUDA processord on NVIDIA boards, that divide by almost 3 the render times, and many  many presets similars that we found in CS5.5 Leon Unger a friend of mine that live here in the same city of mine, got crazy about this problem. He almost banned from the moderator..... LOL . Also he resign from here ... LOL

So we met last week and "paid to see" , if this codec pack resolves . ROVI TOTALCODE 6 ( http://www.mainconcept.com/products/apps-plug-ins/plug-ins-for-adobe/t otalcode.html   )   but is a 1000,00  dolars solution ... I loan half of the ammount to him... This price is for the model of TotalCode with cinema formats in the exporter. He made his calculations and realize that if he paid some technician to convert more thas 200 hous of MPG2 material, the overall cost will be more than US$1000,00 ( around of R$1900,00 ) . So , if you guys will really need MPG2 native like support in PProCS6, will have to get this codec pack. This codec resolves tha infamious error when we will opens a CS5.5 project tha CS6 told tha have the impossibility do convert all formats and etc.

Ok folks,

Best regards, Leossom."

This comment touches a nearby subject.

Of course I have no deadly need for any codecs, but if I want to open and edit for example video files packed with other than Adobes programs I need much wider range of codecs.

As mister Simon wrote there are standards called DV, DVCPRO HD, HDV, XDCAM, AVCHD, etc. Matroska seems to belong to the etc class.  That's probably the reason why this discussion is going on.

I want to stress to you Mr Barsik that I was not questioning Mr Millaards expertise about Adobe software. I am questioning this: "SEVERE WARNING:  do not install something like K-Lite codec packs. That will generally require a complete reformat of your boot disk and a complete fresh install of OS and programs." On healthy system installing K-lite codecs pack can't cause Windows corruption. It can of course cause problems with Premiere or AE, but many other commercial as well as open programs can cause same kind of issues. Any newly installed software, codecs or drivers can produce conflicts with with other programs. And beside that there is a legion of hardware depending conflicts...

My point is this: It is intellectual laziness to blame K-lite packs for problems, that those packs have nothing to do with. Probably someone will blame K-lite packs if he drops his pc from table to floor and it stops working!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guess, you hardly realise you are at Adobe Forum, and contributors here share their experience in relation to Adobe products. You have already been explained dozen of times that K-Lite codec pack alters system registry that causes Adobe applications stop working properly and can't be fixed by simple K-Lite uninstall - you have to monkey over  Regedit in an attempt to find which entries were altered and therefore need to be cleaned manually or rather run clean OS reinstallation, which in turn requires formatting boot disk.

Having encountered 'boot disk reformatting' expression in Harm's advice, you somehow decided he knows nothing about Windows. Indulge yourself a couple of minutes to search Community Forums for Harm's comments and articles.

Now about your reference to MPEG-2 codecs missing in Creative Clouds. Are you sure it is relevant?

And finally about Matroska etc. (hope, you understand that MKV is a container, not a codec). As Jim already pointed out, PrPro, AE and AME normally see and support all codecs installed in your system. If you really need some extra codecs (DNxHD, UT, Lagarith, x264 etc. etc.) you can easily find them with properly written GUI for safe installation and use with Adobe applications - no needs for a crap like K-Lite, CCCP etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's obvious that we can't find any kind of consensus about this subject. That's probably the reason why we are having this discussion.

"Now about your reference to MPEG-2 codecs missing in Creative Clouds. Are you sure it is relevant?"

This reference was an answer to your question about possibly needed codecs:

"I wonder which codecs exactly 'pushed to market by commercial producers' you deadly need to open and edit footages are missing in Adobe Suite and thus you have to spend thousands of € on?"

Like I wrote it was just an example of expensive codecs and touched a nearby subject.

Seems that that if Adobe products conflict with other solutions, you are always blaming other products. It's very dogmatic way to to figure out what's the reason for problems.

If some newly installed software causes problems for Adobe products and uninstalling program doesn't fix the problem, the easiest solution is to uninstall and reinstall Adobe suite. In very seldom cases you had to reinstall OS and all other programs. And if you know how, you can easily find registry changes that for example K-lite installation has made to your registry. Of course you may have to "monkey over regedit" if you don't know how to manage Windows registry. Like I said: if you don't know what you are doing don't do it. If you don't need extra codecs don't install them.

Usually Adobe suite is a sufficient solution for your multimedia editing needs, sometimes it is not. If you want to use other programs (from Avid, Autodesk or Magix for example) alongside, you had to accept the fact that there will be conflicts and you had to learn to solve them. Formatting hard disk and reinstalling OS and everything else, is a seldom needed foolproof solution for dummies.

Probably the best solution to totally avoid conflicts between programs delivered by multiple vendors is to install 2-3 OS in different partitions. One for Adobe, other for Autodesk or Avid and one for other needs like gaming, netsurfing etc. It is a bit costly, but nowadays hard disks are not too expensive and by that way you can be sure not to loose your important material because of some quite usual but always unexpected software conflicts.

It was a pleasure to discuss (and quarrel a bit too) about this subject. On my part there is nothing much to say unless there are some new interesting arguments regarding the subject.

I love all of you too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 06, 2013 Jan 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your reference to missing MPEG-2 codecs has nothing to do with the necessity to spend thousands of  € on those codecs on a pure basis: that discussion was about known bug and its fix (started by Adobe employee by the way), isn't supposed to be normal and hardly made any real user to spend a penny. The comment you quoted called just 'trolling'.

If you prefer to uninstall Adobe Suite so as to keep your pet, it's up to you.

If you're convinced you're a real Windows expert unlike any other participant on this Forum, feel free to explore Adobe users issues related to K-Lite in more details and publish your own article on troubleshooting them. Doubt if there is a demand and you find a lot of followers.

Either the article or its absence will be the proof of which skills you actually possess, BTW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again!

There is no need to open new discussions of K-lite problems. The solution is this: Before installing any new driver, codec pack or software you just had to make a backup copy of the whole registry. If conflicts appear and uninstalling procedure don't repair registry problems, you simply can replace damaged registry with the backup copy. It's no need to be a glorious expert to do that. If you don't know how to backup registry, there are dozens of commercial as well as freeware programs that can do a backup and use that backup in few seconds (one of the most popular is CCleaner, but there are plenty of them.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The discussion was not about how to do OS backup and then roll back. The discussion was about troubleshooting issues with Adobe application caused by particularly K-Lite. Wait for another shoe to drop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no troubleshooting issues! If you have conflicts with two software you just had to decide which one to use. If those programs are open code software you can try solving problems inside the program because the code is available for everyone. If it is commercial you have usually no possibilities whatsoever to change program's behavior yourself.

So if I had to choose between Adobe suite and K-lite, I will choose Adobe. I've never had such a situation hitherto, so I use both. Perhaps you don't know, that you can widely modify K-lite megapack's settings just to avoid conflicts with other codecs used by other programs. One of K-lite pack's strengths is its modifiability.

By the way, the discussion was about the ability to uninstall K-lite without the need to format boot disk and reinstall OS, if you happen to remember.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you have time, try to revise the conversation.

You started from the accusation that Harm's severe warning was based upon money.

When you was explained by many Forum participants the real matter, you rushed to incriminating dilettantism to one of most respectful hardware experts here (not sure you realise how funny you sound) and decided to invent something about thousand Euros a user have to spend on codecs in case he doesn't use K-Lite codec pack, which is a simple lie.

When you was proposed to write an article about troubleshooting issues caused by K-Lite, you started to argue that that was not the point, and you can't offer anything apart from restoring OS from backup point so as to get rid of K-Lite completely (which is definitely the time saver compared to reinstalling OS from scratch, but doesn't change the nature of the solution).

Congratulations and good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines