• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CS6 opens off screen

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2013 Jan 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Premier Pro CS6 under Windows 7 64bit with two monitors on a single graphics card.

The application had been opening correctly but it now opens off the bottom of the main screen with only the top 1/8 of the screen visible. If I try to click or set focus to the application it just blinks, the window cannot be moved. If the windows is clicked and then I press Enter on the keyboard it closes. There are no messages or dialogs shown on either screen.

Any thoughts on why this might be happening would be greatly appreciated.

Simon

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simon,

Have you tried Resetting the Workspace (if you can get to the Window menu in the Toolbar)?

Next, I would reset the Preferences file when launching.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I can't access any of the menus, the entire window is innaccessible.

How do I reset the preferences file? Sorry, I've never had to do that.

Many thanks

Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I reset the preferences file?

When starting Premiere Hold Shift+Alt until welcome screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2013 Jan 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again but that hasn't made any difference to the problem.

Screen1.jpg

The attached image shows what I see when I open Premiere. This is the view after the splash screen has closed. The window cannot be moved from the position shown. Hitting enter closes the window.

Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And hitting the enlarge button (left of the cross in the right hand top corner)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The minimise, enlarge and close buttons do nothing. If I attempt to click them the window flashes and and alert is sounded but nothing happens. It's as thought a message box or dialog is shown somewhere but it's nowhere on either screen.

Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of opening PP first, click on a project directly.  This will bypass the Welcome screen, which is off screen and stealing focus, and allow you to maximize the frame again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clever thinking Jim.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea and hadn't tried that, unfortunately it produces the same result.

I've tried opening a project and a plugin as a couple of alternatives.

Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How exactly did you try opening a project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I located a project file on disk and double-clicked it.

Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.

Did you see the same thing as in the posted image, all gray?  Or could you see the tops of panes peeking through in the little bit that was visible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2013 Jan 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay.

I see the same thing as the previous screen shot, no panels are visible. If I change the screen resolution down to 1280x1024 I can force the Premiere Pro window into the main screen area and there aren't any visible messages or dialogs just the empty Premiere window.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And this happens after clicking on a project file in Windows Explorer, starting with PP closed?

Have you tried clicking on a different project file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes and yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, something definitely got smurfed with your install.  Time to remove it and reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frustratingly I've tried that. Premiere Pro + all preferences + all plugins removed and reinstalled and it still does the same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird, man.

Did you run the cleanup script when you uninstalled?

https://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I didn't, I trusted the uninstall process! Bad move. I will try again later and use the CS cleaner tool.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on the Premiere Pro Window and then click Alt+Spacebar.  Press the M key for Move (or select Move with the mouse), then use the arrow keys to move the window.  If there's a modal dialog somewhere preventing the main Pr window from moving, it's possible that using the arrow keys will bring that dialog into view and you can find out what's going on.

If that doesn't work, then I would do a full system scan with the free version of Malwarebytes, in addition to whatever anti-virus you may have installed on your system.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

==========

I am running Premier Pro CS6 under Windows 7 64bit with two monitors on a single graphics card.

==========

What graphics card ? Nvidia with an Nvidia control panel you can access ??

Is it 2 DVI outputs on the graphics card plugged into 2 DVI ports on your monitors ?

You have a couple options using 2 monitors and should be able to control that using the Nvidia control panel.

One thing to look into is what the max resolution of your monitor is ... both of them... make a note of the max res on them...they might be different if not the same exact model of monitor. You dont want to exceed the max res the monitor is capable of displaying.

I would try using ONE monitor for the solution of your current problem and determine if it's your graphics card and monitor settings FIRST.. before worrying more about whether the program Adobe Prem Pro has anything to do with your display issue.

Use one monitor and adjust settings in your NVidia control panel to use ONE monitor ( unplug the 2nd one for now when everything is powered down ( unplugged from wall ) ). Get one monitor working Okay and then add the 2nd monitor and choose the correct resolution and 'method' ( clone etc )... and see how it works out ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2013 Jan 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, a bit of a follow up.

I am running 2 screens on an NVidia card, both using DVI, both using native resolutions.

Primary screen is 1920x1080, second screen is 1280x1024.

I have now tried:

1. Completely remove Premiere using the CS cleaner tool

2. Reboot.

3. Perform a new install of Premiere Pro.

4. Reboot.

5. Unplug second monitor leaving only the 1920x1080 primary screen making sure the second monitor is not listed in any of the display control panels.

6. Launch Premiere Pro = same result as before.

On the first launch the splash screen displays followed by the main program window which initially displays full screen for <1 second then moves to the position shown in my screenshot.

I have tried the suggestion of using the Windows keyboard shortcut to move the window, this just causes the window to flash indicating there is a dialog open somewhere and the main window cannot be moved.

It might be worth mentioning I'm on a creative cloud subscription so I suspect it's the licence/sign-in nag dialog that's causing the problem but not sure how to force it onto the screen.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to mention, I have run full anti-virus and malware scans and there is nothing wrong. Main main occupation is a software engineer so I'm running all sorts of IDEs and other applications and they are all behaving normally - except for Premiere Pro!

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm thinking that your problem is not with the program or your subscription or virus .. but that it's just your use of 2 monitors and how you've configured that with different monitors. I still feel you should try to get your nvidia card configuration and one monitor working properly before going into other avenues of troubleshooting. You don't lose anything by troubleshooting with one monitor in the long run. You can always ( once problem is solved ) just add another monitor. So I would stick with one monitor and make sure all is happy with your one monitor at least, before going off into other areas. I'm sure there are very smart people here with CS6 and the time to help you with making sure your ONE monitor setup is correct for the resolution MONITOR you are using.

I personally have gone through some monitor and graphic card driver HELL in the past and right now I only have one monitor and it's 1440 x 900 so I don't feel I can personally help you with the Nvidia settings you need for one monitor at this point. I'm sure someone else will help you with that part of the problem soon... at least eliminate it as a possible contributor to your problem if nothing else.

Good luck !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines