• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Domain name from Yahoo

Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2013 Jan 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I'm transfering a domain name from yahoo to BC. The customer wants his emails to stay at Yahoo so I just used the A record and place the BC ip address in the field. I did this 2 days ago and the website doesn't show up. Do I have to do anything to the domain name on BC? When I go to the domain, it says "use this service" or "external DNS" . I'm thinking external DNS because it's from Yahoo and not BC. Can someone help me ASAP? My client is calling me endlessly because his website isn't showing up.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Newbie Corner

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashley,

When you want to set up a domain to use external hosting and mail services you need to add the domain in our DNS tool interface and set it up to use an external DNS server as shown in this screenshot - http://screencast.com/t/2zQ4RZw2

Then you need to go to the interface of your hosting provider and create an A Record that points to the IP of the data center where your site is located.

Once the DNS propagation is completed (which can take up to 48 hours in theory) you should be able to see your site up and running.

I hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Andrei Duca

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing is, once I choose External DNS another window pops up asking for the IP Address for the A Record. Picture 4.png

I can't bypass it either by clicking save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone please help me with this? Like I said, my client calls me constantly and I want to get this over with so I can finish the website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On that step you choose 'This Site" as  that is where the A record will be after you have directed it from Yahoo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had that option for 3 days now and it never transferred.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks to me like you have not done it properly at Yahoo.

I did a DNS look up and your domain name is still directed to Yahoo.  (See attached)

Yours:

yours.png

Mine:

mine.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the screenshot of the yahoo A record.

A Record.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to change the second one there as well. the * is a wildcard for anything before the domain name ... such as www.

Right now you only have the domain name with nothing in front of it (which is wrong) and in BC you have it set up with the www (which is correct).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like this?

A Record1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is correct in Yahoo now. May take a bit before it propogates but that is correct now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To check to see if it has propogated go to:

http://www.intodns.com/gfinteriordesign.com

And scroll right to the bottom. Good luck! 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I see this now:

WWW A Record  Your www.gfinteriordesign.com A record is:

www.gfinteriordesign.com   [192.150.2.140] 

Thanks Brad. I'll wait a hour or two and check to see if the website comes up. Now I can have my clients off my back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There you go .... just checked and your site is now coming up. 🙂

Screen Shot 2013-01-14 at 4.01.43 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines