• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

To open “Adobe Illustrator CS6,” you need a Java SE 6 runtime

Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2012 Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get message when I try to launch a newlt installed version of Illustrator CS6 under mountain lion. Java is not on that machine but do I def have to install it or is there a way around this? Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2012 Sep 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got this message, too.  I have the new Java 7 runtime installed direct from Oracle, but it seems either Illustrator or Mountain Lion are insisting on having the Java 6 runtime installed, as well.

I really don't want to have to install both runtimes.  Is there any harm in having both installed?  Is it even possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed runtime 6 as well.  Illustrator opens fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, did the same here and now running fine. Lets just hope they keep Java a little more secure!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 18, 2013 Jan 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got this "Java SE 6" message on trying to open Illustrator as well.

The odd thing is I've used Illustrator for many months without seeing this alert.

Why would it pop up now?

(AI CS6, Mac osX 10.8.2)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This from a LA Times story:

"In a rare warning, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security is urging computer users to disable the Java software, citing what it says is a vulnerability in the Oracle's programming platform.

Apple said it is heeding the advice and has remotely disabled Java for most Mac users."

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the reason I was running AI *before* was that I actually had java installed. Now I remember that the IT dept. recommeded removing it. I figured that was mainly for browser reasons. But I guess Illustrator depends on it for secret reasons of its own.

Trying to launch AI gives you a button to install Java, which I clicked (I need to use the app! I had to do it!) So now I have java 1.6.0_37. Maybe I had that before IT said it was bad and just didn't know it.

Does anyone know why Illustrator nneds it, but other adobe apps don't?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 20, 2013 Jan 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw this on

http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/none/307129-if-you-can-t-disable-java-what-can-you-do

"Several Adobe applications also require Java to run certain components. Nothing to worry about, as these are standalone Java applications, and not the ones that run within the Web browser."

So... ok... I guess...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2014 May 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case this may be useful for anyone running OSX Mavericks (10.9.3) and encountering the "...need Java se6 runtime..." to launch Illustrator CS6 message, I found the below link on an Apple support page tonight:

Java for OS X 2013-005

I had already de-installed and re-installed Illustrator CS6, thinking this might solve the problem, but I was still getting the "...need java se6 runtime" message.

I assumed because the above link appeared to be for OSX Lion or Mountain Lion, that it wouldn't do me any good since I am running a newer OS (Mavericks). However, after downloading the "Java for OS X 2013-005" that's found via the above link I was able to launch Illustrator CS6.

I've been running OSX Mavericks for a few months and using Illustrator CS6 every day, and had never encountered the "...need Java se6 runtime..." message. What was different for me was, in the last 24 hours, I had the Apple Store re-install OSX Mavericks on my iMac to try to diagnose another issue. The "...need java se6 runtime..." message only started popping up since yesterday's re-install of OSX Mavericks.

I think I recall reading tonight that re-installing OSX Mavericks may wipe out previously-installed versions of Java, or at least this "Java se6 runtime" - whatever that actually is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2014 Jun 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had this error, too in the middle of an urgent project. Seems to be related /w my OS upgrade from 10.6.8 to 10.8.5, cause it did not appear earlier.

Hey, Adobe (I know that there’s stuff members here reading this), would you be so kind what’s going on here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2015 Feb 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is reading, but NOT DOING... Not even helping here with this problem.  : (     

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2015 May 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download the NEW version of Java from Java.com

Then run the following terminal commands separately.  No fuss no muss.

sudo mkdir -p /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk

sudo mkdir -p /System/Library/Java/Support/Deploy.bundle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2015 Nov 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This works. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 27, 2015 May 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works flawlessly /w java version "1.6.0_65".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines