Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker 11 crashes when opening lower version files

New Here ,
Jan 18, 2013 Jan 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As I mentioned in the topic, upon opening some files from version 9, FM11 shows "internal error" and crashes. That happens repeatedly when opening certain file. Is there any solution to this?

best regards

Kuba

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you still have version 9, try saving as MIF and opening the MIF in FM11

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing is I don't have any other release than 11. I had files from the client in FM9 and wanted only to open and print PDFs just for a preview. It crashed at opening repeatedly random files 😕 It crashed also at printing but I read tips from Adobe on printing and it helped. Seems to me that FM11 is a quite unstable software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No FM11 is quite stable - I'd be suspicious of the FM9 file you received - maybe it got damaged. Have the client send you the FM9 file again & a MIF copy of it to try out. Make sure you've applied the patch for FM11 for the unstructured FM printing issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will your files open in FM9?  Blaming FM11 sound more like blaming the kitchen, but not the chef, nor the quality of the ingredients...

I work with thousands of pages, unstruct, DITA, XML, rich media, and output to about every electronic format available. In every case, my (infrequent) crashes boil down to corrupt images or files.

Of course, some of my crashes are the result of operator error

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2013 Jan 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a bug in printing in FM11, got to use patch - so yes, it's a little bit like blaming the kitchen this time   Other that this, FM is outstanding tool We got Adobe FrameMaker 11 in office fresh this week, and since the start of the using it crashed at opening and printing. We worked previously on FM7, FM8, FM9, FM10 and encountered no errors with that software (although FM9 liked to freeze when switching between Paragraph designer and Character Designer), so it's quite understandable why we are so unhappy with the FM11.

Gotta try on MIF on monday, I think it will solve the problem.

Where can i find this printing patch?

best regards

Kuba

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2013 Jan 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I googled FrameMaker 11 printing patch and came up with this:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1076720

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2013 Jan 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great!

Thanks.

best regards

Kuba

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2013 Jan 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wong location - http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 21, 2013 Jan 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 24, 2013 Jan 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar issue.  When I tried to open a FM8 file in FM11, it crashed.  However, two of my coworkers can open that file without any problems.  So, I had one of them save it as FM11 and then I tried to open it.  It still crashes for me.  It's really frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2013 Jan 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have one of your coworkers MIFwash the file for you, or just give you a MIF version to open. If the MIF version still crashes FM on your machine, then I would suspect that your FM installation is hosed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines