Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2012 Oct 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 08, 2012 Nov 08, 2012

That means the java command is not in the “path” on your machine. You could fix that, but the easier thing (for this one-time need) would be just to point to the Java command as it’s installed within CF.

So you could do this instead:

C:\ColdFusion10\jre\bin\java  -jar  cf10_mdt_updt.jar

This tells your OS to find the Java command as installed within CF (the path offered assumes you’re on Windows, of course. *nix users will need to change it accordingly.)

This is also presuming (as your command belo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2012 Oct 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are on Windows, note that when you run the program, it will tell you if you have not run it with administrator privileges. This is not discussed above.

What it means is that you need to open the command prompt with admin privileges, and then run the command above.

To open the command prompt as admin, click Start>Programs>Accessories and before selecting "Command Prompt", right-click on it, and choose "Run as administrator". If you are prompted to permit that, do so, and then run the commands above to perform the update.

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2013 Jan 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even when running Command Prombt as Admin CF Installer say "No Administrative Privilege" . Whats wrong ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2012 Nov 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open up a command prompt and type in "java -jar cf10_mdt_updt.jar" it tells me that. "Java is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." What must I do to get this command to run from the command prompt? TIA. Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That means the java command is not in the “path” on your machine. You could fix that, but the easier thing (for this one-time need) would be just to point to the Java command as it’s installed within CF.

So you could do this instead:

C:\ColdFusion10\jre\bin\java  -jar  cf10_mdt_updt.jar

This tells your OS to find the Java command as installed within CF (the path offered assumes you’re on Windows, of course. *nix users will need to change it accordingly.)

This is also presuming (as your command below is) that you are already in the directory where the jar file exists. If not, use the CD command to get to that directory. For more info, use HELP CD.

Hope that’s helpful.

/charlie

Message was edited by: Charlie Arehart, changed dash used for -jar to not use an emdash (–), as was placed here by a WYSIWYG typing autocorrection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Extremely helpful as always, Charlie. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2012 Dec 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I run the hf I get the following error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: ûjar

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: ûjar

at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:202)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)

at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)

Could not find the main class: ΓÇôjar. Program will exit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2012 Dec 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would guess it’s that you did not run it as:

java -jar jarname.jar

Let us know if that helps. There is more in previous comments in this thread.

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2012 Dec 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

C:\ColdFusion10\jre\bin\java  –jar  cf10_mdt_updt.jar is what I did while in the hot fix directory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2012 Dec 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I have the solution, but I want to explain also how I got to it, in case that may help some readers.

If you look at the error message you reported, note that it says:

“Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: ûjar”

The fact that it was complaining about ‘exception in thread “main”’ was the clue that told me you are not running with the -jar option.

But in that you are saying you DID use it, I see on closer inspection of that error message that it’s saying it’s not finding “ûjar”. Ah.

So now I would suspect that you have copied the command from some web page, where the dash before jar was converted somehow into an em-dash (–), which often happens with wysiwyg editors trying to “help”. That em-dash would be a problem, as Java doesn’t recognize it like a dash.

So try your command again, with that corrected, and let us know if this helps. (And if you can note where you got the command line from , we might be able to see that it gets edited. If it was my first reply in the forum thread here, I have just modified it and a later one I did.)

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2012 Dec 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was the problem. I had copied from your original post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2012 Dec 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is all well and good, but my server does not have access to the internet to get the updates. Other than setting up another server connected to the internet, what options do I have to get updates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Donald, these comments above (which you're replying to) are responding to a different question than you're asking.

The good news is that your concern has been addressed, on the "preceding" page of the CF docs (where you have commented here.)

See a comment I'd offered, foreseeing your very concern on the page which initially discusses downloading the updates (this page here is subsequent to that). There I offer both a URL you can use to download the updates from any machine using any browser, and a link to still more information on this and other matters about the updater:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ColdFusion/10.0/Admin/WSe61e35da8d318518-33adffe0134c60cd31c-7fff.html

Hope that helps others who may find only this page, for some reason (perhaps in a google search for some text that does not find the preceding page in the docs).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, as in all of your other articles I have read you are very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, Donald.

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2013 Jan 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings!  When I downloaded the mandatory CF 10 update, I could not find cf10_mdt_updt.jar among the extracted files, so the install does not work.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Roy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 14, 2013 Jun 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Roy,

You don't need to extract the files. You can rename the extracted file from "zip" to "jar" and then use the command java -jar cf10_mdt_updt.jar to install.

Regards,

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation