• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OpenCL with Intel HD 4000 and Premiere Pro

Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2012 Jun 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to enable OpenCL rendering for Intel HD 4000 Graphics in Premiere Pro CS6? I am very disappointed that it's not working. Premiere Pro doesn't support Intel QuickSync technology, which enables faster rendering than even high-end CUDA-equipped graphic cards, so if at least OpenCL rendering could be enabled, I would really appreciate it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 17, 2012 Jun 17, 2012

No.

Intel QuickSync technology, which enables faster rendering than even high-end CUDA-equipped graphic cards

Based on what information? Intel marketing hype or can you substantiate that with hard data?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.

Intel QuickSync technology, which enables faster rendering than even high-end CUDA-equipped graphic cards

Based on what information? Intel marketing hype or can you substantiate that with hard data?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on a Mac or Windows PC?  The new Macbook Pros come with both, an Intel HD4000 integrated processor and a nvidia GT650M discrete processor with 384 cuda cores. I can't wait to see how Premiere Pro runs on these new babies. I just returned a 2011 model (Sandy Bridge) Macbook Pro with OpenCL enabled I bought last month to get one of the new non-retina display (Ivy Bridge) Macbook Pros they just announced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#1: Here's your hard data: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sandy-bridge-core-i7-2600k-core-i5-2500k,2833-5.html And that's Sandy Bridge btw., Ivy Bridge (HD4000) is allegedly 2 times faster.

#3: I'm using a Windows PC with no dedicated graphics. I was also thinking about buying a Macbook Pro, but in our country they are very expensive. Also Apple doesn't offer dedicated graphics for the 13-inch model, which is the only one I would buy. 15 inches is too big for me. I'm a happy HP ProBook 6470b user.

It's just funny that Adobe doesn't offer a solution for people running these graphics. Believe it or not, performance of this integrated GPU is AMAZING.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did not tell me you are a gamer. I figured, since you post on PR forum, that your interest was in video editing and not in all kind of crap.

This is a test from Tom's that has absolutely no relevance to video editing.

Ivy Brigde is around 5-7% faster than SB. Not twice as you claim. You are comparing things that are not comparable and basing your arguments on wrong assumptions and quoting the wrong tests.

What you call amazing is in fact about ten times slower than an Ivy Bridge desktop with a GTX 460 and the Intel 4000 disabled. On a HP laptop the performance penalty will be around 20 times slower than a good desktop. But then, that is measured with a benchmark specifically dedicated to video editing with PR, not your games.

The best Ivy Bridge destop system with Intel HD 4000 graphics ranks at #430, only surpassed by 429 other video cards. So much for amazing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by "you are a gamer"? Are you blind? I provided you with a link on comparison of rendering using Intel QuickSync vs CUDA vs whatever AMD uses. This is hard evidence. How can you say that this has no relevance to video editing? Did you even open the link? There are MediaEspresso and MediaConverter video converters, both using GPU acceleration. Intel HD 3000 beats GTX570 in both by a big margin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then use those converters and abstain from using PR, because you WILL degrade performance by a factor 10 or more for PR.

Tom's problem is that they can not test PR adequately and since you post in this forum, the only thing relevant is PR performance.

Suggestion: Use Cyberlink PowerDirector instead of Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will. I was going to buy Production Premium CS6, but now I'm disappointed. It looks like it's going to be just Photoshop + PowerDirector. It took Adobe quite a few years to implement CUDA and they still haven't implemented acceleration for ATI graphic cards nor for Intel. I'm not waiting any longer.

btw. I also tried Intel's experimental plugin for Premiere and rendering to H.264 is 5 times faster than by using just the CPU. But the plugin is experimental and it enables only H264 and MPEG-2, there's no native support for all the formats. I can't compare the performance to CUDA though, because I don't have any CUDA-supported graphics card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be interested, using that experimental plug-in, how you score on the PPBM5 Benchmark . Maybe you can run the test and submit your results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but I can't run the test, at least not by using the GPU acceleration. You can enable Intel's plugin accelerated rendering by selecting Intel Media SDK from the dropdown format list and then in video settings you choose whether you want to render to H.264 or MPEG2. The script which is used by this benchmark can't do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That shows the value of the Intel pug-in if you can't do basic exports.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#11: Yeah, well shame on Adobe that they haven't enabled Intel to.

#12: I couldn't see any difference at all. And what Adobe says is that CUDA/OpenCL always renders at the maximum settings, you would have to enable "maximum rendering quality" when using CPU to get the same results. "GPU acceleration gives the same level of render quality as Maximum Render Quality, even if you don’t check the Maximum Render Quality box." That's the official statement from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 18, 2012 Jun 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe says is that CUDA/OpenCL always renders at the maximum settings,

They're talking about scaling.  Adobe doesn't use CUDA for actual transcoding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#11 - Intel graphics chips - historically, Intel has produced really good graphics chips, BUT they have been horribly remiss with regards to issuing video drivers in a timely fashion, if at all. Not sure how the newer chips will be, and only hope that history does not repeat itself.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Intel made a big improvement with their Sandy Bridge intergrated graphics and I mean huge when you compare them to the previous gen parts. However you simply can't compare Intel's on die GPU against high end discrete GPU's. .  I recommend purchasing a GTX470 or another card that supports CUDA if you plan to edit with Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 19, 2012 Jun 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my education, has Intel's driver support improved, as of Sandybridge?

Just curious.

Appreciated,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess by driver support you mean how often do the drivers update? That's hard to tell, Ivy Bridge has been released only a few weeks back. However, in those few weeks Intel managed to release a beta driver for Windows 8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that. Maybe Intel is now stepping up the video driver development.

Appreciated,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2024 Feb 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Cameron, you're arguing with yourself here... all the other posts are 11 years old, and at least one of the main ones is no longer with us. I like that you had three posts... it looks like you're talking to yourself... 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

freddy133712 wrote:

#11: Yeah, well shame on Adobe that they haven't enabled Intel to.

Make a feature request then: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rendering to H.264 is 5 times faster than by using just the CPU.

According to Robert Heron and Patrick Norton from Tekzilla, accelerated encoding may indeed be faster, but often at the expense of quality.  And that applies to CUDA, ATI Stream and Quick Sync.

They both recommend sticking with CPU encoding for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

freddy133712 wrote:

It took Adobe quite a few years to implement CUDA

The SDK from NVIDIA for CUDA came out in '07. Premiere Pro CS5 with CUDA support came out in '10. That's not quite a few years, that's a few years.

they still haven't implemented acceleration for ATI graphic cards nor for Intel.

Premiere Pro CS6 has hardware acceleration using OpenCL for AMD cards in MacBook Pros. We don't have OpenCL support for other cards yet, but you can make a feature request: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

More info on Premiere Pro and OpenCL support: http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2012/05/opencl-and-premiere-pro-cs6.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2013 Jan 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't resist, but Harm Millaard must have had a rager before posting above and tried to bash you, but failed. I'll apologize on his behalf for his temporary blindness, lack of empathy in your inquiry, and his hate on intel even though Quick Sync is a fantastic tool used for specific purposes. I don't think it's in Adobe's interest to support Quick Sync if its best use is to lighten load during video consumption and video ripping at blazing speeds, rather than providing fine control to produce professional videos from your edits.

Also, IB being twice as fast as SB is nearly accurate, in context of what this post is about... video encoding. http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/intel-hd-graphics-4000-2500_7.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2013 Jan 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to produce professional video with MediaExpresso, to profit from the Intel graphics, go ahead.  Adobe does not use it and since the OP posted on the PR CS5/5.5/6 forum, MediaEspresso is irrelevant.

As to IB being twice as  fast as SB, that is not shown in benchmarks. The best i7-2600K comes out at rank # 46 with 157 seconds, the best i7-3770K comes out at rank # 72 with 170 seconds. But with Intel Graphics, the best i7-3770K comes out at rank # 477 with 349 seconds, more than 9 times slower than a fast system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines