• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Files open but cannot be edited.

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2013 Jan 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was great trauma yesterday getting FM11 and Acrobat XI Pro to work together. A number of people worked on my computer. The problem was resolved, but today I open and book and its files but cannot edit the files nor save them. What happened?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somebody change your rights to the files or folders?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That does not appear to be the case. When I open the files, no .lck files are created except for the book. I can use a back-up but I would like to know how this happened so I can prevent it from occurring again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check the security on the files/folders in Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have full access rights to all the files, chapters and book.  What I did see this morning, were test files someone had created that included some .MIF files, of which I know nothing; but these had test names different from my original files.

(I keep clicking "helpful" even though my question has not been answered, you are hitting the important first steps.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well thanks, but I don't think this has got anything to do with FM - what was the "great trauma" that you talk about in your OP?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IT installed Tech Com Suite without Acrobat. When Acrobat was installed, you could not print from FM. I spent two days on the phone with Adobe support and got beat up for it by my IT guys. After researching on forums, the problem was found to be related to starting FM in unstructured vs structured when first installed. It works now, but in the hours IT was working on my computer something happened to the book they used for testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bug didn't have anything to do with Acrobat Pro - it was a FM11 issue with structured vs. unstructured interfaces when printing a book. It was fixed by loading a FM11 patch. I'd be tempted to have IT deactivate all the TCS installed components; uninstall them, and reinstall and patch immediately. Unless you need a feature in Acrobat Pro XI, I would leave the install at the packaged Pro X level until Adobe rolls it out as an update to TCS4. There have been reports of issues with the XI add-on install. Also make sure that you don't install the "headless" version of Acrobat that comes with FM since you have the full Pro X version in TCS4 - the installer is supposed to know better, but again, there have been reports of it screwing up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@matt - yes, but you have to install it manually - it's not rolled up in the TCS updater (yet)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, the recommended output route from FM nowadays is to SaveAsPDF rather than Print. That was working prior to the patch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2013 Jan 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did your problem "cannot edit the files nor save them" get solved? If not, your files may have been inadvertently set to "View Only" mode. Open a file and look in the Quick Access bar for the padlock icon (in FM10 it's next to the print icon). The mouse-over says "Toggle Only View". Click on this icon and you should see all your menus reappear and you should be able to edit and save your file.

If you have several view-only files in a book, use the following quick key sequence:

<Esc> F l k

(Press the Escape key, then uppercase F, then lowercase l (as in llama), then lowercase k.)

NOTE: This is a toggle, so only select the files that you know are in View Only mode or you’ll end up converting regular files to View Only mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2013 Jan 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ding! Ding! Ding! You win! You gave me the answer I needed. Thanks so much.

-Susan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines