• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crop PDF pages

Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2012 Nov 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This question was posted in response to the following article: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/acrobat/using/WS546948FF-6085-4b14-8640-D9EDE30AD8CB.w.html

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 18, 2012 Nov 18, 2012

Use the Crop tool. Tools > Pages > Crop. Drag out the crop area, then double-click to bring up the Crop dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just signed up for a trial of Adobe Acrobat XI prior to purchasing it. I think I love this product. It was so easy to scan to a pdf file. My question is that the paper size of the document I scanned is 8 1/2 by 11 and the scan size appears to be 8 1/2 by 14. How do I change the pages to the proper size and eliminate the large bottom margin?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can crop the pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Crop tool. Tools > Pages > Crop. Drag out the crop area, then double-click to bring up the Crop dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2012 Nov 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As with photoshop is there a way to crop and delete instead of only cropping and hiding the data? I would like to delete the cropped information permanently. Is there an option to do this and if not are they looking to add this option in future editions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2012 Nov 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting information permanently (but not shrinking the page) is done with the redaction feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2012 Nov 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also permanently crop using a fixup in the Preflight tool. (Tools > Print Production).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2014 Aug 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preflight has a zillion options, but on my Acrobat X (on a MAC) permanently deleting what was cropped out is not one of them.  Can you provide more detailed advice here for a relative newbie to preflight? 

thanks

(I ask because none of the advice about non-destructive cropping I have found on the Adobe communities seems to hold, at least not for me.  E.g., Preview also does non-destructive cropping (but can be hidden/revealed by toggling between crop box and media box on View-PDF display.  Saving as PDF does not destroy the cropped areas...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the data is secret/sensitive, rather than just occupying space, first redact it. It's the only way to be SURE all trace has gone.

If it's a handful of big images, just delete them with the touch-up tool.

You can create a preflight profile using the custom action Custom profiles > Fixups > Remove page objects which are completely outside of trim area.

Note that none of these will remove partial objects (though redaction will partially destroy).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for quick response. Unfortunately in my Acrobat X (10.1.10),

there is no "Remove page objects which are completely outside of trim

area" under "Custom profiles > Fixups > " It doesn't show up when I

search Preflight either.

>

Crop PDF pages

>created by <https://forums.adobe.com/people/TestScreenName>Test

>Screen Name in Creating, Editing & Exporting PDFs -

><https://forums.adobe.com/message/6669121#6669121>View the full

>discussion

>If the data is secret/sensitive, rather than just occupying space,

>first redact it. It's the only way to be SURE all trace has gone.

>

>If it's a handful of big images, just delete them with the touch-up tool.

>

>You can create a preflight profile using the custom action Custom

>profiles > Fixups > Remove page objects which are completely outside

>of trim area.

>

>Note that none of these will remove partial objects (though

>redaction will partially destroy).

>

>Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments.

>If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the

>thread in the forum to embed the image at

>https://forums.adobe.com/message/6669121#6669121

>

>Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread,

>not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply,

>either reply to this email or visit the message page:

>[https://forums.adobe.com/message/6669121#6669121]

>

>To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at

>[https://forums.adobe.com/message/6669121#6669121]. In the Actions

>box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

>

>Start a new discussion in Creating, Editing & Exporting PDFs by

><mailto:discussions-community-acrobat-creating__editing_%26_exporting_pdfs@adobe-v7.hosted.jivesoftware.com>email

>or at

><https://forums.adobe.com/choose-container.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=4697>Adobe

>Community

>For more information about maintaining your forum email

>notifications please go to

><http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416458?tstart=0>http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416458?tstart=0.

>

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not looking at more than a tiny fraction of the preflight choices!

No existing profile offers this fixup. You have to create a new profile.

Options menu, Create new preflight profile.

Now look under custom profiles, section Fixups, add the appropriate one to your own profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2014 Sep 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Text outside of the crop box  can be removed using Tools Sidebar->Protection->Remove Hidden Information (though this will not remove overlayed images if any such are present). When the Remove Hidden Information tab is done analyzing, uncheck all selections except for "Hidden text" and "Deleted or cropped content" and then click Remove. Having done this, you can select the crop tool using Tools Sidebar->Pages->Crop, double click on any page and in the Change Page Size field you can then safely set your own white margins. While I have not tried it, it seems that one can remove cropped content directly through the Change Page Size field as long as there are no issues concerning content overlap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2014 Sep 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest (and to reassure anyone else who ends up in the same state as me), I gave up on achieving what I desired (i.e., destructive cropping).  The suggestions either did not work as claimed, did not appear on my version of Acrobat, or were too cryptic for me to follow.  Perhaps I will try to create my own preflight profile when I get time and a second (3rd?) wind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2014 Nov 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know how to only crop multiple selected pages?

For example, holding down Ctrl I can select pages 1, 5, 9, 15, 25 etc.  I ONLY want to crop those pages (and not any/all pages in between of this range).  I realize I can do this manually but it is a large document so it is faster to just select and crop only the pages that I have selected.  How can I crop based only on what I have selected?

Thank you in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't think this option is available. You might consider reorganizing the pages to crop a series of pages and then moving them back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2014 Nov 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I cannot reorganize the pages because the ones being cropped are slip-sheets identifying Tab #'s from a binder so we need to keep them in the order in which the document was scanned.

I am a bit surprised that under the Crop tool there is only the options "Apply to even, odd or even and odd pages".  They really need to add an "Apply to selected pages" option.  In MS Office is there is a similar option for printing pages whereby you can print "selected areas".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The suggestion was that you reorganise the pages TEMPORARILY so you can crop them all together, then restore them to the ORIGINAL order. Might not be quicker, but it is an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I understood that but we routinely deal with 100+ tab documents so this is not a feasible option for us.  We may have to revaluate our workflow process for now.

Thanks anyways for the suggestions and hopefully Adobe considers this option in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible to script this task, using a custom made script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can delete the cropped area by using the Private tool (or what ever it is called in your version) and select the remove hidden areas. The Reduce File Size used to do this, but no longer. Now you have to do it through this other method. I think that may make the 8.5X11 the new page size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2013 Jan 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you happen to know what the keyboard shortcut for that dialog is in Acrobat XI Pro? It was CtrShiftT in previous versions of Acrobat Pro, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I used it dozens of times a day in my PDF workflow and now miss it dearly. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The C key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, but more specifically I'm trying to bring up the Set Page Boxes dialog.  The "C" key does not do this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use C (crop tool) to create a starting crop area. Double-click in crop area opens dialog box. Refine in the dialog box.  I use this all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I'm trying to find the keyboard ONLY shortcut only to open the dialog without using the mouse. The shortcut in previous versions was Ctr+Shift+T.

For years I had became very acustomed to doing it this way because I didn't need to take my hands off the keyboard to grab my stylus pen and then try to double-click without accidentaly dragging and creating a crop box. From there I could tab through and input the box parameters manually to crop proofs and check the myriad of odd trim, bleed and artwork bounds. It's not a huge deal, but I work in a busy prepress department and I miss the speed and rhythm I developed with the keyboard only shortcut. I'm sure anybody who works with a computer a lot can appreciate how extra clicks and steps can add up over time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines