Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe InDesign Middle Eastern CS6

New Here ,
May 13, 2012 May 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Where is the link to Adobe InDesign Middle Eastern CS6 Trial Download?

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , May 23, 2012 May 23, 2012

Here is what many don't know: the Middle Eastern version is indeed available on InDesign (and for Creative Cloud users). In order to take advantage of the ME options you need to:

1. Sign onto Adobe Application Manager.

2. Click on your name and go to Preferences

3. Change your language from English to "תומך עברית English" or the equivilant for Arabic etc.

4. Double check to verify that the language settings took place by going into Preferences once again (it didn't work for me first time around).

Now

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no ME editions anymore. It's all done natively now:

http://www.adobe.com/products/indesign/features.html

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I installed the trial from adobe, and I don't see Middle Eastern specific features, like Direction, Diacritics, Kashida or other features.

Should I install some extra package for arabic options?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving this discussion to the InDesign forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2018 May 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to enable me feature, you can apply this method (at found at website):

1) close indesign

2) open regedit (press windows logo + R simultaneously)

3) on regedit -> hkey_local_machine -> software -> Adobe -> Indesign -> click 8.0 folder, then double click "Feature Set Locale Setting", change the value data from 100 to 103

3) close regedit, then open your Indesign

hope this help. cmiiw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, samsul_depok!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From that page:

"... as well as complex script languages such as Arabic and Hebrew.§

§ For a broader range of typographical controls, use the Middle Eastern version of InDesign."

It seems "broader" should be interpreted as "any at all".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2012 May 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is what many don't know: the Middle Eastern version is indeed available on InDesign (and for Creative Cloud users). In order to take advantage of the ME options you need to:

1. Sign onto Adobe Application Manager.

2. Click on your name and go to Preferences

3. Change your language from English to "תומך עברית English" or the equivilant for Arabic etc.

4. Double check to verify that the language settings took place by going into Preferences once again (it didn't work for me first time around).

Now, any application you download (I've tried it only with InDesign so far) will automatically be with Hebrew or Arabic support.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 23, 2012 May 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that that the תומך עברית English option has one problem with InDesign. Although the UI is in English, if you invoke Help (F1), you will end up with Hebrew-only Help. I've reported that as a bug.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2012 Nov 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Middle Eastern CS6 Software can be purchased from www.languagesource.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2013 Jan 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please clarify. Do I understand correctly that I can convert my Indesign CS6 to Middle Eastern at no additional charge?

Other than the problem with the Help feature, will all features work the same with the addition of working from right to left?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2013 Feb 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I don’t believe you can convert your Indeisgn CS6 into Middle Eastern support you will need to purchase middle Eastern edition which will have the right to left support built inn. This can be purchased from www.languagesource.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DistinctiveR wrote:

Please clarify. Do I understand correctly that I can convert my Indesign CS6 to Middle Eastern at no additional charge?

If you are a Creative Cloud subscriber, then yes, you can uninstall the version you have and download and install the ME/North Africa version. The non-ME versions have RTL capabilities, though, that can be unlocked by script or by using the World Tools plugin from In-Tools.com which may be a more cost effective solution if you are not a cluld subscriber and you only occasionally need the ME features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently have CS2 which is why I am looking to upgrade. If I need to upgrade anyway, do I understand correctly that Creative Cloud is the best way to go? Are there any disadvantages I should be aware of why I may prefer to purchase a full version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creative Cloud will give you access to EVERYTHING including CS7 when it's released.

Do you have any CS3 or later applications? If so, you'd qualify for intro pricing.

You can also try it all for free for month http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud.html

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody but you can say what the best option for you will be. If you use more than one or two of the applications and would actually spend money to keep versions current in the future, then the cloud is an amazing bargain, as it would be if you want access to Muse or other applciations or services that are not offered except on the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im not sure about the creative cloud but you no longer can upgrade from CS2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you Peter Spier your are most welcome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2013 Feb 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone for your help. It seems like I may be better off with purchasing CS6 (I quality for educational license and don't need to always have most updated edition) with a plugin. Does anyone know about ScribeDoor compares to World Toosl? Do they both serve the purpose of seamlessly converting my programs to Middle Eastern capability?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2013 Feb 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do they both serve the purpose of seamlessly converting my programs to Middle Eastern capability?

No, they both have seams, in different places.

I am seriously in favor of World Tools - it suits my needs pretty much perfectly. In fact, what I'm really in favor of is World Tools Pro (although I'm stuck on World Tools on CS4 until my clients upgrade). But if you tell us what you're trying to do, then I'll try to be neutral in making a suggestion, and I'm sure that there are other posters who will be able to be more neutral than myself. Both plugins have strengths in different areas, and unless we know what kind of work you're doing, it's impossible to comapre and contrast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2013 Feb 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. I really appreciate your time.

My usage is very basic so I imagine that either would be fine. I primarily use it to typeset invitations (I type backwards in Hebrew and when text needs justifying I have to manually adjust the correct number of words - not very efficient, although I'm doing it for 15 years, so I'm a whiz at typing backwards!) If I would have Hebrew capabilities, I would use it to typeset Hebrew pamphlets, primarily text based.

So whichever works smoother would probably be fine.

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2013 Feb 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I personally think that the interface for World Tools is better, but it costs more. (Also, the guy who wrote World Tools is a forums regular.)

If you know anything at all about installing and using scripts, or if you can tweak the styles in a template so you can use 'em, then you can get RTL text direction for free! But if you want easy access to tools in a well-designed interface, then scraping together a set of scripts and templates makes less sense when there are free demos for both World Tools and for ScribeDOOR. In your shoes, I'd buy World Tools because of the obvious Hebrew-leaning direction of the other tools made by the same company. (Winsoft's stuff seems to be more aimed at Arabic typography, viz. Tasmeem, whereas in-tools.com offers Hebrew-specific stuff like Drop Words in addition to the World Tools plugin.)

although I'm doing it for 15 years, so I'm a whiz at typing backwards!

No doubt! I always love running into fellow old-school complex-script typesetting folks. I got my start in this business right around when you did, but I was operating a creaky old Letraset machine with an irreplaceable stock of old Arabic Letraset sheets. Or typing Hebrew backwards in Pagemaker. The major advantage of upgrading your toolset here is that revisions are So. Much. Easier. if you are used to the contemporary methods of handling bidirectional text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a lot of easy scripting solutions.

You can type your hebrew forward and then select it and then run this script

app.selection[0].contents=app.selection[0].contents.split("").reverse().join("")

before

_Untitled-3 @ 600%_2013-02-05_23-50-12.png

after

_Untitled-3 @ 600%_2013-02-05_23-51-32.png

There are better ways of doing this but I'm scared Harb's will beat me up or even worse not answer my questions on the forum so you should go for In-Tools plug in.

It seems that one can get creative cloud in Israel now and if not it must be coming very soon as the adobe Israel site is full of it.

If you have a US, UK etc. address then you can for sure sucribe to it from Israel.

החלצהב

Trevor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're going to script solutions for Hebrew you may as well go all the way:

app.selection[0].characterDirection = CharacterDirectionOptions.rightToLeftDirection

I think that's the syntax, anyways - scripting on the fly is a real weak spot for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joel, you forgot to check your script

It will only work if you change the composer to
"Adobe World-Ready Paragraph Composer" or to "Adobe World-Ready Single-line Composer"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines