Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bad image quality in chm - RH10

New Here ,
Jan 31, 2013 Jan 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've been capturing screenshots and saving them as .png for both PDF and chm output. Images in PDF look good,  but the quality in chm looks really bad, most are blurry and you can't even see the texts inside the images. Any suggestions on how to improve the images in chm?

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 31, 2013 Jan 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Sounds like you are possibly inserting the images then scaling them down to fit specific dimensions? If so, that's your issue. The browser does an awful job of scaling. You will be much better off by doing a couple of things.

1. Do as much as you can to properly size the image as small as you can before you even capture.

2. Use a dedicated image manipulation application to rescale the image and save it at the smaller size.

SnagIt

Paint Shop Pro

PhotoShop

Etc.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2013 Feb 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rick. That really helps but when I scale the image, now it looks good on chm, but the quality on PDF is not that good anymore

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Sounds like you need to use two versions of the images. Then apply Conditional Build Tags to them. One for Print and One for online. Actually, those are the exact two tags RoboHelp creates for you by default.

Then when you create a PDF, you exclude the images tagged with Online. When you create the online, exclude the images tagged with Print.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

I might do that as last resort. It would be tedious though because my document has lots of images .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 05, 2013 Feb 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Personally, I would recommend using gifs. Make sure you create your gifs from a good a starting point as possible. What we do here is capture using paintshop pro at high quality, then save as gif. We've found this works well in web, pdf, chm and web help formats..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for your suggestion. I will try that as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Out of curiosity, why the preference for GIF?

Myself, I like PNG format...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp